Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark leather flight jackets with green knits: any opinions?

Lando

Practically Family
I saw this on the Aero sale site and, though it's not my size, I'd really like one like it. I know it's a very basic change, but I actually never thought to put green knits on a seal jacket. Funny because usually my mind goes every which way with this sort of thing. Below is a Real McCoy's in black with green knits that also looks very cool. I just thought I would field for opinions since I don't think I've ever seen anyone here with green knits on a leather A2 or M422a. Is there any historical placement for that? Not that I need historical accuracy, I was just curious. Either way, its looks very cool. Thoughts?
2474f4cbd208a947_s1930-500.jpg

01181952_4f16a4675139a.jpg

Well, let's get the obvious out of the way - it's not "accurate" with black hide and green knits :)
That said, it's cool. Why only have military colors? They're obviously not true G1/A2's, so if you like the look - do it. I could also see doing a russet with green knits. But as HoosierDaddy will attest to - I tend to like some things off the beaten path lol
How about that "G1" with a green fur collar too? You know - now that I think about it, Schott has done these types of spinoffs on G1's before. Most have tons of patches, but same concept. I'm a sucker for traditional and offbeat. But I'm just some wacked out, addicted fruitcake that spends way too much time here posting...

Lando

Practically Family
It actually kind of reminds me of fedoras. You pick the color of the fedora, and then you pick the ribbon. The color of the ribbon can change the color of the hat. Not really, but when you look at the hat with the ribbon on it, it makes the color feel different. So, an oxblood colored ribbon on a black hat makes you think you see color in the black, when there is none. Its all just an optical illusion. Probably why I like the rust Aero knits so much, they bring the red out of the hides. So when I look at an A2 with green knits, I think it just makes the hide look different to me. I like going off the beaten path myself very often, but there is just something subtle and cool about the combo. It's like maybe just putting a toe off the path lol.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Here's another vote for something different. But I'd go with a lighter grey or charcoal knit. Something to set it off but not completely off the color wheel. You know black with grey, brown with dark brown or black.

Worf

JanSolo

Practically Family
Some A2s were actually fitted with OD B10 knits after the original waistband and cuffs wore through. I've seen a picture of an original wartime A2 that had green knits.
So it's obviously not totally "incorrect"...

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I have one almost exactly as you describe: a modified M422A with olive knits. Only been wearing it for a few weeks and will post pics when I get around to it. I think it's pretty damn cool but I'm a little worried that it hasn't done that well on my standard Aero test: ie it's had only one spontaneous compliment from a passerby so far.

I chickened out on rust knits. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Sir J

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Those green knits look great. It's okay to veer from straight up authentic. Mostly authentic but with a bit of flair is the way to go in my opinion.

The darker green knits on the B-1 look better than the lighter green knits on the A-2 IMHO. The colors just go better and the green is not as pail on the B-1 knits.

Edward

Bartender
Andrew (Aswatland) had an A2 a while back that had green knits on it. The other place I've seen one was in Inglorious Bastards - not the Tarantino film of the (intentionally misspelled) same name, but the original which inspired him. I like the look. Looks especially good with the black, IMO. If ou want the green but also want a historically accurate jacket, there are precedents for it. The black isn't historically accurate in milspec terms, though I'm sure there were plenty of "A2 inspired" civilian jackets made back in the day, and a few of those must have been black. Seems to me that a less than milspec jacket can, however paradoxical it sounds, be more vintage "correct" than the real thing when worn by a civilian in a civilian context.... Looks cool, too, which is the most important thing.

Dodo

Familiar Face
Indeed it's nice!! I think that green (olive if I'm not wrong) matches the black perfectly! too bad it's not my size (and too bad aero site doesn't provide measurements of the jacket they sell, I think putting real measures could save a lot of Amanda's and staff's time!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24