Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkening a leather jacket

Physicist

New in Town
simonc said:
yep your definitely darker than the Russian brides.

None of them are brides, yet.

I sometimes question my alleged Irish heritage. I don't burn easily. I get red, but it turns to a nice tan.

I love the heat. And I'm not a drunk. And I do prefer bourbon to Irish whiskey.

I'm not hairy. And I don't like to fight. Except women. I only fight women, like Andy Kaufman did.

I don't eat potatoes. I try to limit my carb intake.

And I'm not Catholic.

I don't fit the stereotype.

Peacoat

Bartender
None of them are brides, yet.

I sometimes question my alleged Irish heritage. I don't burn easily. I get red, but it turns to a nice tan.

I love the heat. And I'm not a drunk. And I do prefer bourbon to Irish whiskey.

I'm not hairy. And I don't like to fight. Except women. I only fight women, like Andy Kaufman did.

I don't eat potatoes. I try to limit my carb intake.

And I'm not Catholic.

I don't fit the stereotype.

Maybe you are Russian?

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30
Horween suggest Pure Neats Foot oil for the best conditioning and darkening

Never. Never never.

I'd only use Pure Neats Foot oil on Horween's Chrome Excel leather in the event it got some surface dryness. Use it VERY SPARINGLY since it will soak in fast.

In extreme cases where the entire jacket needed treating I'd use Obenauf's HD LP or Pecard's prior to the Neats Foot oil to get some wax back in the leather. This is what I plan to do with my 2 year old Aero Highwayman in ~18 years assuming it needs it... I figure once every 20-25 or so years is about right for this treatment.

I lean more towards Scott's advice regarding neatsfoot oil for any other leather. I like the Obenauf's HD LP for wax stuffed or oil-tanned leathers (read waxy) and Obenauf's Leather Oil for most every other leather.

Yeah, I've stayed away from neatsfoot as when I began with the jackets some years back, I was told very firmly that it sucks (as do other older remedies). So I took the wisdom of those with experience and ran with it. Pecards and Lexol are the two main items I use now. I am curious about that Mustang toothpaste though lol

Edward

Bartender
My experience of Pecards on black leather so far doesn't seem to indicate much darkening... definitely revives the leather though. I have seen my dad use may colour-specific leather-restoration creams on various vintage cars over the years though. He once used a black one of those on an ex-girlfriend's jacket years ago, and it came up like new.

As a teen, I brought a used bike jacket up a treat with nothing but ordinary kiwi shoe polish, but it was a lot of work, and it didn't last anywhere near as long.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I used Connollys Hide Food mixed with Kiwi shoe polish on an old badly scuffed black bike jacket many years ago. It worked really well and lasted well too. The Hide Food softened it and rejuvenated it, and also took the black into the leather rather than letting it sit on top where it would rub off quickly.

simonc

Practically Family
I dunno I have just been researching products on leather crafting forums and they all seem to swear by Neats Foot Oil, what do I know, that and olive oil on a paper towel which I did try on a new pair of William Lennon boots and it worked a treat, darkened the leather by a couple of shades and softened it too. Of course use sparingly etc... Thing is Neats Foot is oil extracted from the shin of cattle, so all I can assume (besides the overwhelming thumbs up from leather smiths around the world) is its a natural animal product being used on a natural animal material. More anon.

frussell

One Too Many
Neatsfoot may be a natural animal product, but unfortunately, most stitching is not, and that's where some folks run into trouble. I've seen neatsfoot overused to the point that stitching rots or becomes compromised, and even seen leather get so mushy with overuse that it rips at the stitch points. Lots of good products out there that really won't over-penetrate, but still made with "natural animal products," like tallow. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21