• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

vitanola and Worf like this.
  2. Charles Manson, "the wild-eyed 1960s cult leader whose followers committed heinous murders that terrorized Los Angeles and shocked the nation, died Sunday of natural causes, according to the California Department of Corrections. He was 83."

3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Singer and actor Della Reese has died, aged 86. Cannot provide a link at this time.

4. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    MisterCairo likes this.
  5. Yep, David Cassidy along with Donny Osmond, were the heartthrobs of teenage girlies throughout the western world in the early 70's...fans everywhere....I know 'cause my younger sis was one of 'em. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. I don't know what's harder to wrap my mind around, that "Keith" from the "Partridge Family" is dead or that he was 67.

From the obit I read, it seems that he didn't have a great life and never fully got on track after his huge early success. That always makes me sad as there was a time when I, naively, thought very early stardom was a wonderful thing for these kids - but of course, too many examples have taught me otherwise.

HadleyH1 and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

HadleyH1 likes this.
  8. Natural causes for a heavy drinker, that is. He did enjoy quite a bit of success in the 70s, but that seemed to tail off in the 80s. Immensely talented guy, and from most reports, a nice guy, too.

At least we still have Susan Dey.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

HadleyH1 likes this.
  9. Not one, but two 50s/60s jazz greats:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/...ght-a-new-dimension-to-jazz-singing-dies.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/...an-dead-record-producer-and-talent-scout.html

I was lucky enough to see Jon Hendricks and Company play the Bottom Line in around 1980. (I actually won the tickets answering a radio station jazz question correctly... pretty much the only time I've ever won anything!) He was outstanding. I also saw his daughter Michelle Hendricks, also an excellent jazz singer, play a couple of years later at the West End.

I gotta dig out my old Lambert, Hendricks & Ross LPs...

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

11. Jean d'ormesson.........prolific author, erudite academician & prehaps even philosopher, died today aged 92.
    One of his many quotes;
    " Birth is a place of inequality, equality takes it's revenge at the approach of death."

belfastboy likes this.
  12. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  13. 3fingers

3fingers A-List Customer

HadleyH1 likes this.
  14. The king of rock is dead. Johnny Halliday (born Jean Philippe Smet) Singer & actor, passed away this morning from lung cancer (he was a heavy smoker) aged 74. France & Belguim are in mourning today as are his millions of fans throughout the world. The end of an era.
    A golden oldie written by Charles Aznavour no less.......sock it to 'em Johnny.