Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Sad to share the passing of Mike Forslund, aka "Mike McKay." Mike was a combat medic in Vietnam who returned to the States and made the radio business his career. He worked both behind a microphone as "Commander McKay" on Washington, D.C.'s DC-101 FM and then for 30+ years as a board operator and technical director at D.C.'s WMAL AM 630, FM 105.9.

I met Mike when I was coming to the States to complete my college studies at the University of Maryland. Knowing no one, I rented an apartment and met Mike, who introduced himself to me and welcomed me to the area. We would listen to music in his apartment, as his record library was immense! He gave me his copy of the Beatles "White Album," which I still have.

Mike was kind, gentle, thoughtful and generous. His joie de vivre was apparent even through his voice. Most people never saw his face. Heaven has gained a DJ worthy of a command performance. He leaves two sons and their families. R.I.P. Mike!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
R. Lee Ermey, 74. Best known for his portrayal of the Marine Drill Instructor in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket," Ermey was, in fact, a drill instructor during his service in the USMC. He received a Golden Globe nomination for that role.

He was really good in Full Metal Jacket, but I’ll always think of him as Sgt. Loyce in The Boys Of Company C.
He will be missed.

Harry Anderson, magician, wearer of great hats, and Judge Harry Stone on "Night Court" has passed away.
16552592_G.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Night Court" was one of the best sitcoms of the '80s, and I tried never to miss it. A great ensemble cast, and Anderson was exactly the sort of absurdist presence necessary to make it work. When I heard about his death, I was surprised that I hadn't thought of him in a very long time -- but in reading the news stories, it seems that was exactly what he wanted. He got out of the racket while the getting was good, and went off to do something he enjoyed. We should all be so lucky.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
"Night Court" was one of the best sitcoms of the '80s, and I tried never to miss it. A great ensemble cast, and Anderson was exactly the sort of absurdist presence necessary to make it work. When I heard about his death, I was surprised that I hadn't thought of him in a very long time -- but in reading the news stories, it seems that was exactly what he wanted. He got out of the racket while the getting was good, and went off to do something he enjoyed. We should all be so lucky.

So true and same here. Watched it every time it was on and it's been so long I could probably watch it again.

Also found this after watching that last vid, if you're squeamish, don't watch it, it's great:

Agreed completely. It does help if your fame allows you to do what you want for $20,000 an hour:

"I am richer than Davy Crockett," Anderson said in the story. "I can settle back and do what I want to do. And what I want to do is card tricks and magic.' That includes magic shows for corporate clients ("Fifty-five minutes with applause," says Anderson) at $20,000 a pop.​

Aside from near perfect casting, I've always thought part of Night Court's brilliance was that Mr. Anderson's Judge Stone was the "straight man" of the group only because he was the least odd. It made perfect sense to me that the Judge--the ultimate authority in the court room--would be that character, but they made him just quirky enough for Anderson to have fun with the role and not be completely "straight".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo