Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I do some volunteer work at Grant Cottage (where U.S. Grant Union General and former President died). Last year we had a fundraiser and Mr. Williams was the featured speaker. He was working on a one man show around Grant. He performed some readings and it gave me chills. Hard to believe that less than a year later the man is gone. Solid actor, nice guy (at least when I met him).

Worf

PS - Primary reason I never bought or road a motorcycle... You can be the best rider in the world but nothing can protect you from "stupid".

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
La plus française des anglaise, singer, actress & director, Jane Birkin was found dead at her Parisian home. She was 76. She is the mother of actress Charlotte Gainsbourg & singer/song writer Lou Doillon.

1689525306501.png

Yes, it was her.

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
La plus française des anglaise, singer, actress & director, Jane Birkin was found dead at her Parisian home. She was 76. She is the mother of actress Charlotte Gainsbourg & singer/song writer Lou Doillon.

View attachment 532987

Yes, it was her.

A warm childhood memory was the uncomfortable look in my parents faces when 'that song' was playing on car radio. :)

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
R.I.P., Tony Bennett.
A true American classic.
unbelievably, the first obit that I read did not even mention that, in WWII, he helped liberate a concentration camp. “Great,” I thought, “is that an urban legend that I’ve been believing all these years?”
So I googled it. It is indeed true. Saw combat. Helped liberate a concentration camp.
Saluting you, Mr Bennett, and thanking you.
You know who I will be listening to all day.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/m...ar-ii-experience-was-front-row-seat-hell.html

GHT

I'll Lock Up
R.I.P., Tony Bennett.
A true American classic.
unbelievably, the first obit that I read did not even mention that, in WWII, he helped liberate a concentration camp. “Great,” I thought, “is that an urban legend that I’ve been believing all these years?”
So I googled it. It is indeed true. Saw combat. Helped liberate a concentration camp.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/m...ar-ii-experience-was-front-row-seat-hell.html
tony.png
Anthony Dominick Benedetto US Army 1944-1946.
R.I.P., Tony Bennett.
A true American classic.

I clicked onto that link, what a fascinating story, but like so many of that generation, they never talked about those terrible experiences. A brave man indeed.

A warm childhood memory was the uncomfortable look in my parents faces when 'that song' was playing on car radio. :)
There weren’t any French speakers in my little world when that tune was a hit. I got the sense in my early adolescent brain that it was kinda erotic, but mostly it was just a pretty tune. And breathy.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The only film I have ever seen more than twice at the cinema, yes, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, summer of 1985.

Saw it with two high school friends, could not believe the insane story telling and bizarre humour. I watched it six more times that summer.

I won my high school Hallowe'en costume contest that year, dressed in one of my dad's suits, a red bow tie, and a cassette of Tequila.

So sad.

Attachments

• 20230731_135244.jpg
    20230731_135244.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230731_135254.jpg
    20230731_135254.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members