Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

So is that furry jacket you got, forgot to say. Looks warm! Here's my ancient storebrand no name with some genuine wear. Started off dark blue, same as yours. I've been wearing it literally all the time. Not terribly classy or pretty but it's a 3 kg of denim and synthetic fur that has so far battled cold weather and chilling winds better than any leather jacket I had. It's just a beast.

IMG_20180131_200450.jpg

IMG_20180131_200628.jpg

IMG_20180131_200531.jpg

IMG_20180131_200547.jpg

IMG_20180131_200619.jpg

IMG_20180131_200611.jpg

Oh man, Monitor... that is a REALLY nice jacket. Crap, I should break out a few of mine post them up? Are we collecting denim jackets now? My wife is going to kill me...

Nah, I'm not giving more than $10 for a denim jacket. :) These happened along the way but the furry ones are really nice in cold weather. But no, no collecting here. Well, no intentional collecting. The fact that I have about 10 of them doesn't mean anything. Does it? XD But seriously, I don't think I've spent more than $30 on these things. And I don't intend to.

But of course you should and absolutely must post some of yours! All, preferably. :D

Are we collecting denim jackets now? My wife is going to kill me...

Nope, not collecting. :D
I just got my darkblue-stonewashed storebrand-type III from early 2016 and one auxiliary-exemplar. Then the original brightblue Levi's type III-sherpa jacket, which is too much for me to be for daily-use, but fine on heavy winter. And I got the original "dress-blue" Levi's type III-Canvas jacket, which is in fact "extra slim-fit". :rolleyes:

And now this very nice storebrand type III-sherpa.

So, there are only five type III-jackets. All without elasthane. :)

And I would like to give a recommendation:

When you like to buy a new type III-jacket, think about, if buying your correct size or the size thereover!

My new sherpa-jacket is marked as size "L", but I bought it, because it was very near to my usual "M", when I tried it on. If it would have been a real "L", the sleeves would have been too long, but they weren't. My exemplar seems to be between usual "M" and "L". And on the other side, it got of course type IIIs classic slim-fit. :) So, I think, this little more airier feeling with my new jacket will be great for me, when I'm moving, especially with a sherpa-jacket. Yesterday, I wore it partly and it felt very very good! And definitely not too large. If I would have to decide, again, I wouldn't choose the tighter "M".

HanauMan

Practically Family
I'm not really a big fan of these fleece denim jackets.

I do have a cotton lined L.L. Bean denim jacket for colder weather wear which I bought about a decade ago. The denim is soft with a nice texture and it is a nice color, not too dark, and it isn't too long in the body. It has a zipper secured inner pocket as well as lined hand warmer pockets. The back of the collar is lined with corduroy. I usually wear it with a hoody top and ball cap when I dress 'slobby'.

25150148027_eea72e5229_k.jpg

25150150557_83c911cf1a_k.jpg

25150154367_dda3e94cf8_k.jpg

26147941948_ab1f9d2aa1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, like I thought. The new sherpa-jacket with the thinner and lighter Denim gets me very nice warm and today, the first coldness-test came. And it's sufficient until down to 0°Celsius, like I thought, but that's the borderline. For real cold, -5°Celsius downwards, the Levi's sherpa-jacket with the heavy Denim would be the best choice.

Nope, Levi's is still not my thing. Today, I tried another colour of their usual type III-Denim jackets and it's still the same problem, they didn't corrected it. The jackets are definitely extra-slim fit/skinny, even on me as a very slender person with thin arms (!), but of course without elasthane. So, without elasthane, it's a misconstruction.

My 2016s storebrand-type III jacket is still much better. It's a usual slim-fit, but absolutely comfortable without elasthane and not skinny. :)

But curiously, my Levi's bluegrey type III Canvas-jacket, that I bought in 2017, is okay. Surely slim-fit, but not that extremely skinny.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Super, I had the same 25 years ago)))

It was a fun time, probably it always happens when you are young .... This Wrangler jacket is strongly associated with the times of the first pagers, probably then they appeared when I wore it ... At the same time, I had another jeans sleeveless vest, but I do not remember the manufacturer .
Wrangler was made at that time quite good jeans, I had a lot. And I remember that they were sewn in Belgium....

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I had a denim jacket from the Summer of 1990, which I wore heavily until it finally died in 1998. (I say died - if I'd then been into the idea, I could have just cut the sleeves off and worn it that way.) It cam from Dunnes Stores, Ireland (our equivalent of Marks & Spencer) - their own-brand, St Bernard, but it looked identical to that Wrangler in the body - including the interior pockets. Mine was eventually emblazoned with a Ramones patch on the back, and a Challenger NASA patch on the sleeve, with an inverted military symbol below it. Worn at plenty of gigs, that one, especially before I got my first leather jacket. Didn't buy another until 2006, when I got one of the Levis Type 1 jackets (from the "Type 1" range, NOT a Type 1 as we'd understand it here). Nice jacket, but too dern long in the body for my tastes as I recall - should turn it up and sell it. I've not worn a denim jacket in a decade (not big on double-denim, and wouldn't wear one with anything else), but I am tempted by the idea of something simple again, maybe a true Type 1 derivative.

Wrangler makes a nice jacket. The cut is better than Levi's. Slimmer. Very serviceable trucker. Here's one that I got.

I did try on the Type 1... Actually not sure if that's the Type 1, but it was the one with the accordion front, with those folds and I absolutely hated it with a passion. It seemed nice on the photos but those horrible pleats just bulge out if you're not standing perfectly straight, especially if a jacket is buttoned up, and the whole thing looks ridiculous. It's just... Nah.

IMG_20180414_162328.jpg

IMG_20180414_162221.jpg

IMG_20180414_162306.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner