Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a crush?

pgoat

One Too Many
alexandra said:
Lately I've been regretting not taking something further with a guy who was totally smitten with me. I have no idea why he's popped into my head though- it was 2 or 3 years ago! It's the strangest thing in the world.

Hmmm.....when i was about 22 and single after a long relationship (high school gf) it suddenly dawned on me that a student teacher in hs kept trying to pick me up ...I was 14 and equal parts oblivious, frightened and distracted (I was busy trying to hook up with the aforementioned gf). Bizarre how I had totally put it out of my mind, and it suddenly popped back alla sudden . Perhaps because I was suddenly available?:rolleyes:

I told a school mate of mine and he was practically angry with me (said student teacher was quite a looker). Needless to say I was also then cursing my idiocy at passing up a dream/fantasy come true for most guys.

Looking back on it now it strikes me as kinda creepy (Mary LeTurneau?)....

pgoat

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Well after all is said and done, it looks like Beth and her boyfriend
will fit in around here just nicely.
I'm willing to concede; they make a handsome couple and grace
our Lounge with class and distinction. :eusa_clap

BethandBoyfriend.jpg

-dixon cannon

beautiful pic, lovely couple indeed!

Jovan

Suspended
This charming and classy young woman has taken my heart. Got to meet her at a recent University of Florida "Accent" series event, where she was interviewed by one of the professors and took questions from the audience afterward. Unfortunately, in response to my question, she was not locally casting her next movie in Gainesville. :eek:

04-08-08_2210.jpg

04-11-08_1807.jpg

Above picture does not do her justice (or I, who seem to be stuck in full on geek-out mode). Here's a better one from a quick Google search.

diablo.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I'm not sure asking out the Academy Award-winning writer of "Juno" would have been the best course at a photo op and autograph session. lol Unless you're talking to someone else here...

On a side note, I wish I would have worn a suit to the presentation. There were so many ill-fitting or badly chosen suits worn by the staff. Not that I was focused on them after Diablo came on stage but, ya know.

pgoat

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Aww, why not? Someone has to land the lovely Ms. Cody; why not you?;)

yeah, exactly. I'm sure she puts her pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.....

'course I understand your being a gentleman and not pursuing this at a public event - but never say never.....

Jovan

Suspended
pgoat said:
yeah, exactly. I'm sure she puts her pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.....

'course I understand your being a gentleman and not pursuing this at a public event - but never say never.....
There's also the fact that I didn't crush on her UNTIL I saw her in person... lol

miserabelle: I don't think I'm a regular Cary Grant or anything, but ouch indeed!

pgoat

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
PGoat, that's what a discreetly-passed small handwritten note is for:

"Would you be interested in dinner? Cell # xxx-yyy-zzzz. (Name)"

Discreetly passed being like, in the middle of the handshake...

yes, you're right; it's doable - though I personally wouldn't have the Moxie to try it!:eek:

That's the kind of thing I picture Cary Grant getting away with.....:rolleyes:

alexandra

Practically Family
pgoat said:

Hm, I don't put my pants on one leg at a time. Does that make me better or worse?

playbelle

New in Town
pgoat said:
I told a school mate of mine and he was practically angry with me (said student teacher was quite a looker). Needless to say I was also then cursing my idiocy at passing up a dream/fantasy come true for most guys.

Looking back on it now it strikes me as kinda creepy (Mary LeTurneau?)....
I vote creepy too. I don't want to judge anyone's feelings, but acting on them in such a situation is beyond inappropriate.

On topic? I'm a teacher and I suspect one of my students (about the same age as you were in the story above) might have a crush on me. :eusa_doh: Not that I mean to boast, but it's not the first time this has happened. lol I find it cute though, and I hope they can get something positive out of the feeling... IMO such crushes are different from unhappy unrequited love in that you know on some level that it's not going to ever become anything more than that, and you accept it, because it's a nice enough experience on its own. Or I don't know, I haven't read the whole thread, maybe I'm the only one that likes the butterflies in the stomach thing. :p

pgoat

One Too Many
playbelle said:
I vote creepy too. I don't want to judge anyone's feelings, but acting on them in such a situation is beyond inappropriate.

On topic? I'm a teacher and I suspect one of my students (about the same age as you were in the story above) might have a crush on me. :eusa_doh: Not that I mean to boast, but it's not the first time this has happened. lol I find it cute though, and I hope they can get something positive out of the feeling... IMO such crushes are different from unhappy unrequited love in that you know on some level that it's not going to ever become anything more than that, and you accept it, because it's a nice enough experience on its own. Or I don't know, I haven't read the whole thread, maybe I'm the only one that likes the butterflies in the stomach thing. :p

no, I've skimmed here at times and it's fun to read about everyone's pleasant knots in the stomach....I think I remember what that's like....wow, I've become a boring old fart.:(

I used to teach too and yeah, I was very aware of propriety - you especially had to be as a male. I know it sounds sexist, but we were the minority and the exception. I used to do speech therapy, and when the one other male therapist welcomed me on my first day of first job after graduating, I asked if he had any sage advice for the newbie. He pointed to my tiny office and whispered "keep your door open - always!" I got the message....

As for this woman in my past...I dunno what to say. I def. looked older than my age by a few years (I was the guy who always bought the beer for my buddies - I never got carded) so maybe she thought I was older, and hence closer to her own age but even so - a student is a student. I sure hope she got that out of her system. In junior high, there was a math teacher who was into fondling genitals of (male) students he had stay late after class. I ceased my math sessions post haste, but never told anyone (ahh, the seventies!). Later I found out several of my middle school classmates had also been held back to 'crunch numbers', which was bad enough - years later it turned out he was arrested and sent to prison for molesting kindergarten age students at a religious school - oh, I forgot to mention he was very respected & high profile in his local religious community, as a shocked gf in my 20s told me when I broke the news about the story in the papers (he taught at her synagogue). Who knows how many poor kids that guy messed with...

but with her, it was very much like a crush - she looked very young too. She would make me tapes, bring in music articles (she knew from my papers I was a music person), etc. But even with me being immature, naive and moronically clueless at first, I sensed something was 'wrong' about the whole thing.

I have since known of more than one acquaintance (men) who wound up teaching undergrad college courses and used their power/position to come on to all the pretty coeds. They were real proud of it, too. Not quite as creepy as high school, but still pretty yuck in my book.

ok, now that I've rained on the crush parade, peace out!

Jovan

Suspended
Diamondback said:
PGoat, that's what a discreetly-passed small handwritten note is for:

"Would you be interested in dinner? Cell # xxx-yyy-zzzz. (Name)"

Discreetly passed being like, in the middle of the handshake...
Sounds smarmy.

alexandra

Practically Family
I'm really bad at all those classy and romantic moves guys try to do. Like the whole passing-note-to-hand thing...someone did that to me and I was like "What the hell is this? Don't give me your garbage"

I'm a pretty awkward date.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
QUOTE: "I told a school mate of mine and he was practically angry with me (said student teacher was quite a looker). Needless to say I was also then cursing my idiocy at passing up a dream/fantasy come true for most guys.
Looking back on it now it strikes me as kinda creepy (Mary LeTurneau?)...
."

My how times have changed! When I was in High School in the early '70's there were two young sisters that taught in our school. One was Math; one was English. They were both "quite the lookers!". Believe me, every guy in school had a crush on one or the other. You've never seen such interest in Math and English!

Both of those teachers had a tendency to sit on the edge of their desks while delivering some lecture or another. Back in that era they actually, really wore dresses and skirts to work, EVERY DAY. Speaking strictly for myself, I was glued to every word, in hopes of some "insights", as it were. I like to think those lectures kept me in school, attentive and focused. ;)

I was a drummer in a band back then and we played at their sorority gatherings. It was the '70's folks!... there was all the normal debauchery associated with the era, especially with affluent, college educated, fraternity types, after hours. The band felt privileged and special to be part of it - we were all of 16-17 years old!

Hardly a day goes by that I don't think of those two sisters (who shall remain nameless!..to protect the "innocent"!) and fondly remember, not only the dances and parties, but the classes too. My English is great, and I can add and subtract real good like.

Ahhh.... for the good old days before PC, harassment, (all those other unmentionable social distortions).

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn