Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear hats because you're balding?

A

Ande1963

My baldness is definitely a factor in my hat-wearing. I just don't consider it safe to be outdoors with a bare scalp. I also like that I don't have to worry about hat-head.

Overall, I honestly enjoy being bald. I haven't paid for a haircut in well over a decade, I don't have to fret about how my hair looks, and bald guys hardly age between the ages of 35 and 60 (see Robert Duvall!).

Anj

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes....

Ande1963 said:
My baldness is definitely a factor in my hat-wearing. I just don't consider it safe to be outdoors with a bare scalp. I also like that I don't have to worry about hat-head.

Overall, I honestly enjoy being bald. I haven't paid for a haircut in well over a decade, I don't have to fret about how my hair looks, and bald guys hardly age between the ages of 35 and 60 (see Robert Duvall!).

Anj
All great points and I must agree Ande.

.....but you forgot one, when you wash your face, you can just keep going & do your whole head in a matter of seconds, can't do that with a head of hair now can ya? ;)

A

Ande1963

bolthead said:
All great points and I must agree Ande.

.....but you forgot one, when you wash your face, you can just keep going & do your whole head in a matter of seconds, can't do that with a head of hair now can ya? ;)

True! My wife cracks me up when she puts shampoo on the shopping list for me... like I'm supposed to have any idea which one to buy! I use a bar of soap, fer chrissakes!

Anj

art92101

One of the Regulars
I am thinning, have been for many years....

but I think wearing a hat has "preserved the bit of hair that i have.
Since i am 6 ft tall most people don't notice that I am thin on top. I wear a hat cause it looks good, I am a bit of an eccentric and its good for my health...balding and sun exposure.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Not at all....I have some hair loss, but I shave the rest off anyway. I wear hats because I love them hair or no hair. I also wear them to protect my face, neck and head from all the elements;)

ilcatex

New in Town
I've worn hats all my life... western hats, fedoras, caps, etc.

Now that I shave my head (I have a nice head of hair - but honestly got tired of messing with hat hair and haircuts) I wear them to also keep the sun off.

blade runner

New in Town
I have to admit, baldness is the number one reason I have taken to wearing hats. I started losing my hair in my early 30s and had nothing on top but a bit of fuzz by the time I was 40. I don't mind being bald and keep what little I have cut very short. It does, however, change things. In my younger days, I rarely wore a hat except for warmth in the winter, which gets pretty cold up here in Upstate New York. In the summer I had my gloriously full head of hair to shade me. Now, however, I can't be outside for half an hour in the summer without getting a burned pate. I started out wearing baseball caps, but I'd still get burned ears and neck, so I started looking for more sun protection. That is how I got into fedoras and, now, panamas. They also provide far more style than ballcaps, which is a big plus. I must say, though, without the baldness I don't think I would have ventured into the realm of classic style. Perhaps I should be thanking the gods of genetics for removing that obstacle to the fedora-lovin' life.:) :) :cool2:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My hair is a wild shag, tends to curl, and wearing hats really doesn't go
with my Irish poet scoundrel persona, which is naturally ethnic,
introspective, and mysterious.;) So I usually go hatless.
But I do favor homburgs over fedoras. :)

D

DBFedora

scotrace said:
Believe me, I am more painfully aware every year how extremely lucky I am. Thank you, Lord!

Scot, I think it's more grace than luck. I understand myself - thinning but far from bald.

D

DBFedora

Douglas

DOUGLAS said:
I was wearing hats way back when I had hair.
I'm the one with the hat
DSCN4357.jpg

I am impressed once again...a hat connoisseur extraordinaire with a sense of humor. I love it when posts make me laugh. Thanks. lol

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
PastimeSteve said:
The great thing is I can wear it with a tie or casual stuff, unlike the limited use of a baseball cap.Steve

True. Unfortunately, if you look around nowadays, people seem to think you can do that with a ball cap.

I started wearing a hat when the Marine Corps made me and got used to it. I started going bald around 20 and, with all the cancerous lumps my dad's gotten cut out, I stay as well hidden from the sun as I can. It's not so much to hide the balding from people as to keep it away from the evil daystar. Besides, I dig the look of my fedoras, trilbys, and scally caps.

geckoheart

Familiar Face
yes

I'm bald, been shaving the little that remains on the sides for about 6 years. As an adult, I have always worn some type of cap or hat when outside. I have switched to hats over the past 4-5 years because the brim provides sun protection to the face and neck, unlike with a cap. I hate when my face burns or tans and I have a ring around my head where he top was only protected from the sun.

Edward

Bartender
It's a factor. I always wore ball-caps as a kid during the summer - eventually gave those up because they don't suit me (I think it's the glasses that they don't work with... though nowadays I wear contacts when I dress up formal - hoping to get lasered before too many more years are out). I have my first trenchcoat and fedora at 16; I've been into formal hats and hats that go with outfits (colour coordination and general look) ever since. At Uni, I took to wearing a corduroy yachting-cap type hat which is still my generic hat (I'm on my third black one now, have a brown one and probably will add a couple more to the Marlowe wardrobe soon). By then I'd stopped wearing coats with a hood and couldn't be bothered to carry an umbrella - not least because in Belfast in the winter by the time it gets wet enough to bed bothered putting up a brolly, it's also typically too windy to wield one. My hair started to go at 26, I notice at 28.... thinned pretty much evenly all over the top - shorter and shorter buzzcuts followed, and by this time last year, I had only about half left, and even a number 1 didn't hide that. So out cane the razor, and I've been clean shaven (as per photo) ever since. Though the hats were always a thing for me previously, both for heat and rainwear, They have become much more a constant in my wardrobe, and I would now only very rarely leave the house (especially in daylight) without one - both health reasons, and because I absolutely loathe the look of a sun tan and will go to great lengths to avoid acquiring one.

I've now got to the point where if I'm making an effort to dress for an occasion, I'd feel underdressed without a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran