Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't know... not sure I've seen an early 1940s Stratoliner in "silverbelly."
I am very sure you are most likely correct even more so for a older Stratoliner, but for us most the vintage we have had would fall into the 1950' to 1960's for a Stratoliner and most have almost always been some sort of a silverbelly or an orphan silverbelly...(blue hue to it or some tan hue or even greyish green hue).

Now of course if I could find a 1940's Stratoliner in a 7 1/2 LO I do not think it would be a deal breaker regarding color..if the hat was in decent condition. Even though over the years, we have had some luck with finding NOS or super clean vintage...our Hat Radar finder just flat out sucks compared to yours and a few other Loungers! We have also sold a few vintage that we wish like crazy we would have kept now. Live and learn..but always looking! haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
was thinking the same ... I actually haven't seen all that many Stratoliners period in silverbelly

maybe she just looked at the photo quick and mistook it for an OR ?
Well we have had a few, nothing as vintage as the 1940's....but 1950's and perhaps late 1960's and some with a hue to the color as well.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I cannot understand why I had zero competition for a Peter Bros. Shady Oak Forty!
In a 7 1/2 yet!
It's an old one with the prominent marking indicating 'Swiss Hoods'. Arguably the most storied CB hats of the 2o'th century, Amon Carter and all.
Call me a heretic, but I am likely to cut the brim down to 3" and recrease it from an alpine to a teardrop crown.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

I cannot understand why I had zero competition for a Peter Bros. Shady Oak Forty!
In a 7 1/2 yet!
It's an old one with the prominent marking indicating 'Swiss Hoods'. Arguably the most storied CB hats of the 2o'th century, Amon Carter and all.
Call me a heretic, but I am likely to cut the brim down to 3" and recrease it from an alpine to a teardrop crown.

Well nothing wrong with being a heretic...we are here! Of course having hats like this one converted a bit can make them be more appealing at times. I mostly will send a hat like this to our BOND here and have him wave his magic wand with brim cutting and ribbon work. In fact I have a few now I still need to send him...two as a gift and one that needs a lot of abracadabra done to it! haha!

I would have bid on that hat but knew it would need some work done to convert it down if I would have snagged it for Daniel. Can only do so much and this past month I have had ZERO spare time to even ship out a box to BOND!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
the Shady Pine hat that I own isn't that great of a hat, it's OK. Not sure where you came up with the CB or Carter, Peters bros. made a lot of hats besides the Bankers Special for Carter. Your mileage may very.

The Shady Oaks was the only Carter hat I was aware of. During my childhood, while he was still living, Carter was famous worldwide for handing these out like Chiclets to visitors to his Ft. Worth ranch. It made an impression on me 'cause he was also one hellava art collector and museum philanthropist, had to do SOMETHING with all that oil money.
I ain't sure where everyone is getting the 'pine' appellation from. I've never seen one called a "pine". I have another Shady Oaks 100 and there is no mention made of 'pine'. Pines make for doggone poor shade, for that matter.

*CB= CowBoy

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The Shady Oaks was the only Carter hat I was aware of. During my childhood, while he was still living, Carter was famous worldwide for handing these out like Chiclets to visitors to his Ft. Worth ranch. It made an impression on me 'cause he was also one hellava art collector and museum philanthropist, had to do SOMETHING with all that oil money.
I ain't sure where everyone is getting the 'pine' appellation from. I've never seen one called a "pine". I have another Shady Oaks 100 and there is no mention made of 'pine'. Pines make for doggone poor shade, for that matter.

You are about to see one called Shady Pine, you just bought it. Check the sweatband markings on your hat. Your liner says Shady Oak but Clearly marked Shady Pine Forty on the sweat.

*CB= CowBoy

You are about to see one called Shady Pine, you just bought it. Check the sweatband markings on your hat. Your liner says Shady Oak but Clearly marked Shady Pine Forty on the sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy