Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay vendor?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
... they need our help just as we did when we joined.

Perfectly stated.

I've been around here a little while now and still post plenty of ongoing questions in various threads on different vintage and style subjects. I appreciate it very much when it stimulates a discussion and information sharing. I try to 'pass it on' when the hat's on the other head, so to speak.

Sometimes I ask about certain terminology and I get, "You need to learn your terminology" answers. :rolleyes: Sometimes I've asked about the age of an item and received, "You need to do your research". :( I understand that this approach gives some people a certain brand of pleasure but from my personal perspective, I know that I will appear more foolish than the person I'm trying to make feel foolish if I behave that way. ;)

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Yes !

... This is what I use for searches. I have it bookmarked in my browser, and when I want to run a search, it's easy to get at, and putting the phrase of what I want in quotes gives me even more accurate results. When I have a question, I'll run a search this way, then a couple on TFL engine, then if nothing shows I'll ask on the "Ask a Question" thread. It takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes, and usually gives some really good answers. We're a friendly and helpful bunch here; but like everyone, we have our quirks. So to the newbies, don't take any of this as being mean; just us wanting to keep the bar a bit tidier and it easier for the bartenders to sweep. :)

This search method saves having to type "thefedoralounge.com" (Advanced Search) or "site:thefedoralounge.com" (Regular Search) with each search. In your lifetime, how many keystrokes saved ? "Billions and billions" -Carl Sagan (not).

My advocacy of this can be found euthanized in The Observation Bar forum.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
laotou said:
I highly recommended Panama Bob ...oh wow, dejavu

I sent him an e-mail asking if he had something in my budget. His cheapest thing on e-bay was twice what I have to spend.

My point is this: I've posted three questions here that have all been answered with "do a search." The people that have been helpful, have been helpful. But referring me to a 73page thread? Honestly, do you have time to read 73 pages? There comes a point where a thread is too long to have concise information.

If you do not want to help newbies, don't. There is no reason to be an arrogant jerk and give snippy comments instead of answering a question. The time Lefty took to post a snippy response was the same amount of time it would have taken for him to answer my original question. Instead he chose to post a "do a search" response.

If you don't want to help people when they ask for help, don't respond.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
57plymouth said:
I sent him an e-mail asking if he had something in my budget. His cheapest thing on e-bay was twice what I have to spend.

Thirty nine bucks w/ free shipping, too much?
I am sorry to say it doesn't get much more inexpensive. :(

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Gray Panama Bob I am coveting, it looks more cool blue/gray & less "pinkish" when the pix are color corrected, BTW.

The rest

Hmmm... The picture on the first auction is a center dent, but he states it is a teardrop. I can't really tell about the color either. Is that gray or brown? It looks like a beach mud brown to me. I'm intrigued but confused to say the least.

This one is closest to what I had in mind as far as I can tell, but I can't afford it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Montecristi-Pan...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab3ce4a0

It would be as expensive as my two best hats combined.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
That's the one, yes - I have just headed over to www.panamabob.com and navigated to Mens Hats - Cuenca Hats. You should then see a page with all the styles you can choose from and below that where you choose the size and grade of Cuenca you are looking for. Cuenca Fino Brisa is the one I own.

I ordered mine a few weeks ago but it looks as if the $39 hat is now $44 - apologies for the out of date price.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Color corrected

graysonpanamabob.jpg

laotou

One of the Regulars
I have two of Bobs ebay offerings both under $50 with shipping. I could not be happier with them. The Gray is a light brownish gray. His offerings on ebay change so keep an eye on them. You may want to check out Sunbody not a Panama, it's a palm leaf Guatemalan. They are well made robust hats. I am happy with the two I have from them as well. Check their sale hats. The 3in brim fedora for under $30 is a good deal.

buler

I'll Lock Up
My .02

57plymouth said:

My point is this: I've posted three questions here that have all been answered with "do a search." The people that have been helpful, have been helpful. But referring me to a 73page thread? Honestly, do you have time to read 73 pages? There comes a point where a thread is too long to have concise information.

If you do not want to help newbies, don't. There is no reason to be an arrogant jerk and give snippy comments instead of answering a question. The time Lefty took to post a snippy response was the same amount of time it would have taken for him to answer my original question. Instead he chose to post a "do a search" response.

If you don't want to help people when they ask for help, don't respond.

57Plymouth, you've now resorted to name calling and yelling in this thread. Maybe you need to step away, take a deep breath, and re-read this thread from the beginning. You'll see that Lefty didn't call you a name or post a snippy response until you responded negatively to his suggestion to use google search.

As with any email or post on the internet its easy to read emotion or intent into it because its a poor form of communication. While Lefty's initial link to "let me google that for you" could have been accompanied by more explanation, it actually is a helpful link.

Regarding your comment to reading 73 pages of posts... thats your choice. I have personally gone back to the very first thread in the Hats section and read forward on more than one occasion. While I don't read every thread and every post, I pick and choose threads with subjects that interest me at the time and find it very educational.

You may also want to read the Fedora Lounge FAQ... here is a small portion of it:

Guidelines to posting
The Fedora Lounge may do things a little differently than you are used to at other forums:

We strongly encourage you to search old threads for the info you are seeking first before starting a new thread. If you find an old thread that you want to add to, please do so and bump it. We like to keep discussions consolidated and ongoing - it makes it easier to search for info later.

Looking for things to go smoother around here,
B

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
laotou said:
I have two of Bobs ebay offerings both under $50 with shipping. I could not be happier with them. The Gray is a light brownish gray. His offerings on ebay change so keep an eye on them. You may want to check out Sunbody not a Panama, it's a palm leaf Guatemalan. They are well made robust hats. I am happy with the two I have from them as well. Check their sale hats. The 3in brim fedora for under $30 is a good deal.

I've e-mailed Bob. I will wait until later today to hear from him. I like the weave that DanielCoffey referred to. I want to ask Bob about the crown height, and that's likely to be where I end up if it's in the 4 1/4 range. If not that one from Bob, then I will look at the David Morgan that Neophyte referred to in the Canal thread.

Thanks to everyone that guided through the mass of information to steer me in the right direction. I appreciate the help and advice.

HarpPlayerGene said:
Perfectly stated.

I've been around here a little while now and still post plenty of ongoing questions in various threads on different vintage and style subjects. I appreciate it very much when it stimulates a discussion and information sharing. I try to 'pass it on' when the hat's on the other head, so to speak.

Sometimes I ask about certain terminology and I get, "You need to learn your terminology" answers. :rolleyes: Sometimes I've asked about the age of an item and received, "You need to do your research". :( I understand that this approach gives some people a certain brand of pleasure but from my personal perspective, I know that I will appear more foolish than the person I'm trying to make feel foolish if I behave that way. ;)

Oh Gene, quit being so darned grown-up and reasonable.

We can only hope that your more-pleasant approach remains the norm around here, lest the gentler types decide they've had their fill and move on.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've been on both sides of this question... It can at times be very difficult for a long-time member, who often did spend the time to educate themselves by reading old threads, to keep still when they see a question appear that has been asked dozens of times, always with the same general answer. So you get mounting frustration and, at times, Wise Guy stuff.

What I have learned is that, for every new member who asks a shop-worn question, there are a hundred recent members who know the information, have experience with it, and are eager to share their new knowledge. I suggest letting the jungle do its work. Unless you see some obviously incorrect information ("everybody knows JFK killed off the hat'), just sit back and let people chat. That's what they're here for.

57Plymouth, welcome to The Fedora Lounge!. We are the world's largest and most thorough source of information on Golden Era Stuff. Enjoy your stay - and be patient with us, while we try and be patient with you. The answer to your question hasn't changed since I joined: Panama Bob.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I've been on both sides of this question... It can at times be very difficult for a long-time member, who often did spend the time to educate themselves by reading old threads, to keep still when they see a question appear that has been asked dozens of times, always with the same general answer. So you get mounting frustration and, at times, Wise Guy stuff.

What I have learned is that, for every new member who asks a shop-worn question, there are a hundred recent members who know the information, have experience with it, and are eager to share their new knowledge. I suggest letting the jungle do its work. Unless you see some obviously incorrect information ("everybody knows JFK killed off the hat'), just sit back and let people chat. That's what they're here for.

57Plymouth, welcome to The Fedora Lounge!. We are the world's largest and most thorough source of information on Golden Era Stuff. Enjoy your stay - and be patient with us, while we try and be patient with you. The answer to your question hasn't changed since I joined: Panama Bob.

There's a straight answer I'll keep in mind. Thank you, Sir !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace