Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay vendor?

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
This may not be in the right section.

Has anyone bought from Ultrafino Panama Hats off e-bay? He has one listed that I'm interested in right now, but would like some comments about the vendor before I plop down my cash.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Indycop mentioned one of those while talking of his trips to the beach. His companion, and I could be wrong, had an eBay Panama, and he recommended (these are my own words) to avoid them like the plague.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's had a few uses here. I hope it teaches new guys to search the Lounge. If they can't find what they're looking for, there's always the Ask a Question, Get an Answer thread at the top of the page (and, in this case, there's also the Panama Canal thread).

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
It's had a few uses here. I hope it teaches new guys to search the Lounge. If they can't find what they're looking for, there's always the Ask a Question, Get an Answer thread at the top of the page (and, in this case, there's also the Panama Canal thread).

Many of the threads here are 10+ pages long. Do you have the time to read page after page every time you have a question?

Am I the only one that gets a negative response like this every time I ask a question? Most of my questions get the "do a search" response with no help. Is there some rule about new guys like me that the veterans don't like to help us?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's the point of the Ask a Question thread - not to start new threads for things that have been covered many, many times. Asking within an existing thread also makes sense - here, the panama thread.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
That's the point of the Ask a Question thread - not to start new threads for things that have been covered many, many times. Asking within an existing thread also makes sense - here, the panama thread.

Actually, it was about the vendor at first. Now I'm looking for a hat. Your responses have come across as arrogant. If that was not your intention, that's fine. It seems like EVERY post by a new member gets no help, just a referral to a very long thread. It would be a lot easier to just answer the question.

So, I guess my answer is that there is no hat available that fits my budget. But I really can't tell for sure.

vintage68

Practically Family
57plymouth said:
Actually, it was about the vendor at first. Now I'm looking for a hat. Your responses have come across as arrogant. If that was not your intention, that's fine. It seems like EVERY post by a new member gets no help, just a referral to a very long thread. It would be a lot easier to just answer the question.

So, I guess my answer is that there is no hat available that fits my budget. But I really can't tell for sure.

I gotta agree with you 57. Most requests for info will be met with the smug "run a search." Most searches I've run get the phonebook in response, and I don't see digging through page after page of a thread or multiple threads just to find out a simple answer. There are ways to narrow down a search, but I'm not expert enough to understand all of it.

I don't see the harm in someone giving help or just ignoring the post. The least the vets on the FL could do is politely answer your question and then provide something like "In the future, perhaps you should try doing x-y-z....."

And I'm not exactly a new member.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Lots of misleading games played on eBay. Nothing actually unlawful, just typical Marketing Fluff.

examples:

A "Monte Cristo" is NOT a hat made in Montecristi, Equador.

A hat that is guaranteed to be "authentic" will indeed be a hat.

"Ultrafino Panama Hats" is the name of the company, not a description of the merchandise.

"MONTECRISTI ULTRAFINO PANAMA HATS" is the name of an eBay store, not a description of the merchandise.

"Panama Hat Works of Montecristi" is the name of a company, not a description of the merchandise.

Quality designations vary by seller. "Fino" does not have a definitive meaning, you have to take the time to find out what each seller means by the terms he uses.

If the text of the listing doesn't specifically SAY the hat was made in Montecristi it probably wasn't.

Makes it kinda tough if you don't know much about "Panama" hats. (Even the name "Panama" hats is misleading since most are really made in Equador.)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
In most cases the answer is not so simple and straightforward and showing where to read up is the best service to provide. A little effort may make one much better informed than the serving up of a quick generality which may be wrong or misleading.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
57plymouth said:
Many of the threads here are 10+ pages long. Do you have the time to read page after page every time you have a question?

Am I the only one that gets a negative response like this every time I ask a question? Most of my questions get the "do a search" response with no help. Is there some rule about new guys like me that the veterans don't like to help us?

As with most forums that have been around a long time, darn near everything that could be discussed has been discussed. There are at least dozens of members who could answer any question in less than one minute but for some reason they refuse to do so and even feel they should spend that minute with the useless "do a search" responses.

Sometimes people want up to date opinions from several people rather than one pat answer from whoever gets to it first. "Information" from 4 or 5 years ago is probably about as useful as "do a search". The "ask a question get an answer" thread would be great if the answers were linked to the questions so you don't have to troll through a few days worth of posts to see if anyone answered your question.

The answer to your question is: You aren't going to get a $1000 hat for $30, no matter who the seller is.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
BanjoMerlin said:
Lots of misleading games played on eBay. Nothing actually unlawful, just typical Marketing Fluff.

examples:

A "Monte Cristo" is NOT a hat made in Montecristi, Equador.

A hat that is guaranteed to be "authentic" will indeed be a hat.

"Ultrafino Panama Hats" is the name of the company, not a description of the merchandise.

"MONTECRISTI ULTRAFINO PANAMA HATS" is the name of an eBay store, not a description of the merchandise.

"Panama Hat Works of Montecristi" is the name of a company, not a description of the merchandise.

Quality designations vary by seller. "Fino" does not have a definitive meaning, you have to take the time to find out what each seller means by the terms he uses.

If the text of the listing doesn't specifically SAY the hat was made in Montecristi it probably wasn't.

Makes it kinda tough if you don't know much about "Panama" hats. (Even the name "Panama" hats is misleading since most are really made in Equador.)

So, where would you look for a decent looking teardrop around $55. I'm not looking for a Cadillac, just a nice Chevy.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
In most cases the answer is not so simple and straightforward and showing where to read up is the best service to provide. A little effort may make one much better informed than the serving up of a quick generality which may be wrong or misleading.

Yep. And heck simply typing in the words 'ultrafino panama hats fedora lounge' gave me the thread Lefty linked to as the second option and that three page thread answered all the questions asked in this thread. It's amazing what info can be discovered in the Fedora Lounge if someone just devotes a few minutes to the search.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
57plymouth said:
So, where would you look for a decent looking teardrop around $55. I'm not looking for a Cadillac, just a nice Chevy.

Check for seller Member id panamahatsecuador, at least that's my advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff