Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every mention of Alexander Leathers has been completely eliminated from the forum!?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have fond memories from living in Memphis, Tennessee during the early and mid-sixties while in school. Of course, Beale Street in Memphis is considered "the Birth of the Blues." Now Beale Street is a major tourist attraction and still rich in the history of the blues. To keep on a jacket theme, I was issued a G-1 US Naval flight jacket not too long after that, although my G-1 was not made by Alexander Leathers.;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I will say though, seeing this type of communical insight though music (on a jacket forum) kind of reinforces the notion that a jacket is "more than a jacket". I know that when I slip on my next jacket (whatever that will be) I will definitely think of you guys!

...And I want to salute the many 'across the pond' who put their spin on the Blues,too!
(and then we even spun back at ya)

[video=youtube;LBrnAFoNJXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrnAFoNJXs[/video]

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Wrong! Digital content is created, spread and stored in the most savable form of data ever created.

It might be saveable for the time being, but saving ain't the same as using. And digital data can become corrupted. I eagerly await the revival of 3 1⁄2", 5 1⁄4" and 8" disc use...

We'll have to agree to differ. :D

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
True, but I know I find it easier to get a hold of old/obscure stuff than I did 10 or 15 years ago on a digital format. I don't necessarily prefer it, but it's a useful resource, and it's helped to sustain small record labels.

I'm not saying it's bad. It's great that people can get stuff relatively easily. I'm in favour, pro and very much for it!

I'm talking about archiving in the long term. There's loads written about digital archiving and a lot of it is worry about data corrupution and formats, including file formats, becoming unreadable.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
I've got over 20T digitally stored! Working with Crypt records right now on a new release of 65-66 garage.

I got the Back From The Graves as they were coming out and they really bust the little world of the collectors wide open. I liked them for their tight focus, in contrast to the Pebbles endeavour, which expanded into the European theatre and bust that open, together with the likes of Rubbles, etc., giving 1000s of songs a new lease of life.

Is this stuff all previously unreleased? Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Last edited:

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I got the Back From The Graves as they were coming out and they really bust the little world of the collectors wide open. I liked them for their tight focus, in contrast to the Pebbles endeavour, which expanded into the European theatre and bust that open, together with the likes of Rubbles, etc., giving 1000s of songs a new lease of life.

Is this stuff all previously unreleased? Be interesting to see how it turns out.
Wow we do have some diggers here :eusa_clap. I guess i'm coming from the point of view of someone who started chasing that stuff in the early 80's and saw those rarities ( many one known copy ) come back from the grave likethey have partly due to digital.

I used a couple songs in y-t video's i made but the Crypt project will have a full cd's worth of unreleased material of The Spiders. Pre Alice Cooper, both of the Spiders 7" 45's are in Goldmine's 100 most valuable 45 records. When Glen Buxton took me to his parents where he had all his high school days possessions i was stunned when we opened his bedroom door......still am. thanks for the interest..

Peacoat

Bartender
A similar story here too. I grew up listening to rock and roll. When I was around 20 I stumbled on some Robert Johnson recordings and was blown away. I immediately felt the connction to the music I was currently listening to. It made me enjoy certain bands more knowing they were carrying on that blues lineage. I also realized some bands were just cranking out noise!

Exactly. Robert Johnson was the beginning of all (or most) of what came after. I'm not a guitar player, but I have friends who are very good. Their unanimous opinion is that Robert did it first and did it best. I have that multi CD set that has all of his known recordings. Even though it was recorded in the 30s, stylistically, it could have been recorded yesterday.

A guitar player friend of mine I used to play with, and who is now a writer, producer and occasional studio musician, would often use a turn around I really liked. When I first listened to Robert Johnson, I heard it there, note for note. So much for there being anything new in this big world of music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy