Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EXchange names for phone numbers

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
What, no love for my KRakatoa prefix?
Come on, try it out loud. Krakatoa3-****. I think it has a nice flow.
Then again maybe KRakatoa will be California and KRamer will be New York.;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
I grew up with a party-line....

Yeah, pretty acient....

Our phone number was JEfferson 7-1751. I grew up in Castro Valley, in the San Francisco east bay hills.

Was recently given a late '40s / early '50s telephone. It's a beauty, and weighs several pounds. You could definitely cold-cock someone with the receiver....literally kill someone if you hit them with the entire phone. And it still works.... Talk about 'take a lick'n and keep on tick'n'.

noir_desk_004.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
The Wolf said:
What, no love for my KRakatoa prefix?
Come on, try it out loud. Krakatoa3-****. I think it has a nice flow.
Then again maybe KRakatoa will be California and KRamer will be New York.;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Krakatoa sounds rough coming from my mouth lol. Actually, I kept think Kratoa, which isn't the same word. Plus folks will alreaduy think I'm a nut with the KRamer3, I'm not sure what looks/thoughts Krakatoa will get.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
When I was a kid, our exchange was PArkway 6. I didn't really understand the meaning of the whole exchange name thing then, but I thought it was cool. My WE 202 and 653H both have number cards with my current ORchard 7 exchange on them.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Our exchange in Oklahoma City back in the 1960s was MUtual.

My current number in NYC was in the YUkon exchange. I tried for a while, a few years back, to use my exchange when giving out my number -- I even had it printed on my personal "business" card -- but too many people had no idea what I was talking out.

Now, one has to use an area code when dialing even local numbers in NYC, so that sort of sours it.

High Pockets

Practically Family
skyvue said:
Our exchange in Oklahoma City back in the 1960s was MUtual.

My current number in NYC was in the YUkon exchange. I tried for a while, a few years back, to use my exchange when giving out my number -- I even had it printed on my personal "business" card -- but too many people had no idea what I was talking out.

Now, one has to use an area code when dialing even local numbers in NYC, so that sort of sours it.

I was sitting here trying to remember all the OKC prefixes,.....I forgot about Mutual. In MWC ours was Pershing. On Long Island back in the '50s ours was Ivanhoe. How come I can remember every telephone number we ever had back then, but for the life of me yesterday I couldn't remember why I walked out to the garage.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I was on the upper west side on Manhattan, in the early 1950's, we lived near Grant's Tomb and Columbia University. So our number was MOnument 3 3470 (I remember it from age 4!), and many neighbors had UNiversity.
My new place in the Bronx has a number that starts with 231, which I determined was BElmont, since I'm near the Belmont section (where Dion and the Belmonts started.)
A friend has an office in Hamilton Heights, which is basically West Harlem, and his number is WAshington (for Washington Heights).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LYric 6 here -- we were a BIG CITY, since we had two exchanges, LYric 4, which was downtown, and LYric 6 which is the surrounding neighborhoods. No other town within a 50 mile radius had more than one exchange, and many of them were still on manual operator/non-dial systems well into the sixties. The last town around here to convert from manual to dial service did so in 1970.

KIngswood 8 where I grew up. Next town over was LOgan 7.

campy

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
LYric 6 here -- we were a BIG CITY,
The town where I now live was LYric 6 also! :D

I remember using the exchange name instead of the digits when I was growing up. It was PYramid 1 where I lived then.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
No one mentioned "Beechwood 4-5789", the 1962 song released by The Marvelettes. Written by Marvin Gaye, William "Mickey" Stevenson and George Gordy, the song reached number 17 on the pop singles chart.

In 1981, The Carpenters recorded it and did a retro music video in a 1950's style diner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmChOTOgfO8

It's interesting to observe this number would have become 234-5789.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic: ....but interesting!

Did you know that when Alex Gramble invented
the telephonic communications device - he thought that
the best salutation should be, "Ahoy! Ahoy!".

It was Tom Edson that first answered, "Hello!"

And it stuck. Now you know the rest of the story.

Carry on.

-dixon cannon

Flivver

Practically Family
In the city I grew up in we had PLeasant, SWift and VIking. Ours was PLeasant2.

My grandparents' exchange, several towns away, was TUxedo.

In this area, I seem to remember the exchange names disappearing around 1963.

Jay

Practically Family
I just realized the number at my folks house (where I'm currently staying) has a number starting with 714. Can I even make an exchange name for that? There's none on that site.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
:eek:fftopic: ....but interesting!

Did you know that when Alex Gramble invented
the telephonic communications device - he thought that
the best salutation should be, "Ahoy! Ahoy!".

-dixon cannon

Well, it was actually Antonio Meucci who invented the telephone; he just didn't get a patent for it.:( (No, it wasn't Don Ameche...)

I remember exchange names quite well in the 1960s Los Angeles area. Our Glendale exchange was CItrus (appropriate for an area once associated with oranges).

Jay said:
I just realized the number at my folks house (where I'm currently staying) has a number starting with 714. Can I even make an exchange name for that? There's none on that site.

No- there are no letters for the number one

1= ?
2= ABC
3=DEF
4=GHI
5=JKL
6=MNO
7=PRS
8=TUV
9=WXY

Not sure where the Z goes.

264-5555 AMityville4-5555
586-6300 JUtson6-6300 (The number for Gimbels reupolstering in NY!:eek: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner