Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excuse me Miss, do you Blog?

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I need some of your ladies' advice for blogging!

I currently have 1 professional, journalism-based blog (www.lauriecallsen.com), 2 blogs that are dead (but I don't want to erase them because I don't want to lose the information) and a Tumblr (www.lauriecallsen.tumblr.com).

I want to try my hand at blogging about how I'm slowing coming into the "vintage scene" and what not and possibly tying my work into it. I've even come up with a name: The Retro Reporter. Cheesy but honestly I was so shocked that I came up with a name that easily that I left it at that.

ANYWAY, I am wondering what platform I should use. I want to keep my official domain more professional, so that's pretty much out of the question.
I don't really use my Tumblr consistently (maybe posting 6x a month or so) so I could start blogging on that, but it doesn't really allow for commenting. In the past people have never really commented on my blogs, but hopefully that would change if I started RR.

So should I go with a comment-enabled platform? What do you suggest? I already am really fammilar with WordPress but I'm not opposed to Blogger either (Since I love everything Google does and actually feel a bit guilty that I don't use it!).

Also, do you have any tips for blogging more consitently? Would anyone even read a blog about a reporter who always gets weird looks from the RCMP when she shows up at an accident scene in heels and a skirt? :D

Sorry for the long rambling post :blah:

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
MissLaurieMarie, that's such a cute name for a blog; I would read it, it sounds fun!

I use Blogger, and it's really easy; I heartily recommend it! Also, re: how to blog consistently: sometimes, when I'm really feeling creative (or, you know, have too much time on my hands) I'll write up a bunch of blogs, and schedule them to post later in the week. It's a great way to keep your blog updated regularly without having to waste too much time on it during the week.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
I have followed your advice RodeoRose and now I'm creating a blog with blogger.
It's very easy indeed! Now the question is, what do you write in your first post?
Do you introduce yourself?

vintagedancer

New in Town
I blog at www.vintagedancer.com. I started the site when I was still somewhat new to vintage clothing styles. I would go online to figure out what to wear to a 1920s picnic, or 1940s swing dance, or Titanic party and I had a hard time finding good information that was easy to follow for myself and my fiance. Since I didn't find the information I am making it. And since I am not a wonderful sewer and I don't have the budget for genuine vintage I try to teach my readers how to use new clothes with vintage style for themed outfits. I also have many shopping pages to help point people in the right direction. It's been just over a year since I started the site and I love it. It's a side business now that I hope to do full time in another year.

I use wordpress which I love but I feel most vintage bloggers are on Blogger.com and I feel left out of the community and conversations. Does anyone know of a tool or plugin that would help me stay connected with blogger friends and vice versa?

I look forward to reading everyone's blog. Thanks for sharing them here.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
MissLaurieMarie, that's such a cute name for a blog; I would read it, it sounds fun!

I use Blogger, and it's really easy; I heartily recommend it! Also, re: how to blog consistently: sometimes, when I'm really feeling creative (or, you know, have too much time on my hands) I'll write up a bunch of blogs, and schedule them to post later in the week. It's a great way to keep your blog updated regularly without having to waste too much time on it during the week.

I agree on all points! I tend to spend a couple of hours on a weekend resizing my photos, uploading them to photobucket, writing my posts, then schedule them to post at intervals. And I love blogger!

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
EDIT: it's up now! Retro-reporter.blogspot.com

And since I am not a wonderful sewer and I don't have the budget for genuine vintage I try to teach my readers how to use new clothes with vintage style for themed outfits. I also have many shopping pages to help point people in the right direction. It's been just over a year since I started the site and I love it. It's a side business now that I hope to do full time in another year.
Hurray! This is what I do too Vintage Dancer. I think my oldest clothes go back 5 years - everything is modern and I only have 3 repro dresses. I look forward to reading your blog and getting more ideas!

I use wordpress which I love but I feel most vintage bloggers are on Blogger.com and I feel left out of the community and conversations. Does anyone know of a tool or plugin that would help me stay connected with blogger friends and vice versa?
That's exactly the thought I had too! I think blogger allows for more design customization that Wordpress (unless you're fluent in CSS, which I sadly am not).
Regardless of what platform folks use, I tend to subscribe using Google Reader, because I have Google everything - including an Android phone, which also has a Google Reader app for on the go! I highly reccomend anything Google, I really enjoy it. I currently follow 28 Vintage blogs (well, it will be 29 once I hit Subscribe on Vintage Dancer), plus a slough of others in my variety of interests as well.

Romy I must say I'm excited that you're starting a blog! *crosses fingers for lots of hair posts*
I am rubbish at introductory posts. I always see them as a bit of a cross-over of the about page.
I do have some advice to add - perhaps have a few posts lined up before you "launch" so folks have lots to look at. My boyfriend and our friend recently started a beer blog, and while we aren't up and running yet, we do have several posts completed so when it's up people will come and stay a while and really get a good grasp of what we're all about.

RodeoRose Thank you for the advice! I did indeed go with retro-reporter.blogspot.com (as all RetroReporter and TheRetroReporter were all taken but with only one post on them...sigh). I must say I love your blog! I grew up listening to old country and looking at photos of my grandparents farm back in the day and you just are so reminiscent of that time and style to me! I like to dress a little western too sometimes, so I always head over to your blog for some inspiration.

Puzzicato Thanks to you as well for the tip! I've also started a list of themed posts I could do - like focus on spots in my town that are really old & restored (there's a lot) so if I get in a bind I can fall back on them.

Righto, enough talking now I ought to get to work on this. Cheers!

Last edited:

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Ok so I think it's fineally time to let people know about my blog.
http://everything-unfinished.blogspot.com/

Why did you start your blog?
I had been reading other's blog for a while and really wanted to do one of my own. I kept trying and failing as for some reason it never held my interest for long. I think that's why I decided to call it everything unfinished in my link because I partly never expected to carry it on. Cut a long story short and for personal reasons I deleted Facebook so I promised an old college friend I'd properly start blogging so they can make sure I've not fallen off the edge of the world. I've had a few technical difficulties lately but I'm trying to get back in the saddle.

How did you decide on a topic, find your niche?
I don't really think I have a topic. I generally just write about silly things and stuff I have been doing lately.

Are you motivated to maintain your blog, why?
At first I think I was trying to emulate the blogs I enjoy reading and they were my motivation. Now it's my friends and that they ask me to post because they miss me or want to know what I've been up to. I write like I am talking to my friends.

Have you found your blog to be an outlet or a way to stay passionate?
I think it's an outlet for me. Once I said to my friend that I didn't know why I blogged and she said it's because I was trying to reassert who I am and my identity after a hard time. I hadn't realised it but I think she was right.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I don't have a blog really, just Tumblrs- I don't journal in them. One is in my sig, another is missmoonlight13.tumblr.com for general Retro Love. But I'm about to go through this entire thread and subscribe to all the working blogs. I just love to read vintage blogs. Thank you all for posting yours.

ETA- I'm still going through subscribing, and pleased to see I already have a lot of your blogs on my live bookmarks.

But I have a question for those of you on Blogger, since I use Atom and Live Bookmarks to sub to most blogs through my browser- do you have a way of knowing if someone is subbed to you in this way instead of 'following' on Google/Blogger?

Last edited:

Tatum

Practically Family
I'm trying. The only purpose of my blog for years was an anonymous photo depository. But I like to write, so I'm attempting to give it a go. It's a bit all over the place (just like me!) but I'm enjoying it.

http://timescandal.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24