Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
77558231.jpg
Which movie is this with Harrison Ford? I didn't know he did a war movie.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Frank Sinatra:

tumblr_m9somqwwXV1qeg3g9o1_500.jpg

-dixon cannon
I watched this movie again last night and paid attention to Sinatra's jacket. Although in the publicity(?) photo above his jacket looks like leather, in most of the film it appears to be brown vinyl or something. This was suggested in another thread in a reference to costume departments often using vinyl since it "looks" better on film. The way Sinatra's jacket wrinkled up so readily and then never showed creases, and always looked so uniformly clean and brand new throughout the film, plus the way it seemed to stretch a lot then return to shape, suggest to me it was vinyl. It just didn't look like leather does, unless it was a really soft leather. I'm afraid I'm far from being knowledgeable about this, so take as speculation/opinion only.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I watched this movie again last night and paid attention to Sinatra's jacket. Although in the publicity(?) photo above his jacket looks like leather, in most of the film it appears to be brown vinyl or something. This was suggested in another thread in a reference to costume departments often using vinyl since it "looks" better on film. The way Sinatra's jacket wrinkled up so readily and then never showed creases, and always looked so uniformly clean and brand new throughout the film, plus the way it seemed to stretch a lot then return to shape, suggest to me it was vinyl. It just didn't look like leather does, unless it was a really soft leather. I'm afraid I'm far from being knowledgeable about this, so take as speculation/opinion only.

Doctor! Maybe it was a fairly new repro jacket, someone once suggested it was the same jacket as Steve Mcqueen wore in Great Escape but I dont think so.

Anyway here is a puzzler for you if you like this movie!
Where were the final scenes in the rail tunnel and cliff edge filmed? It is one of my favourite places so 10 points to whoever gets it first. No clues but it is not Switzerland and there are no credits for this in the final titles. I'll post a link if no one gets it:cool:
J

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Steve Stills (far right) in a B-6. Dallas Taylor in a M-65 and Joe Lala in a peacoat, too.

Cover_Manassas_zps28206e89.jpg

Nixon at Camp David in his G-1.

nixon-jacket.jpg

Bubba in a G-1. Its hard to read his name tag, but I'm pretty sure is says "Mr. Bubba....President".

clinton_uss_jacket_lg.jpg

Jon Huntsman (remember him?) in a current-issue A-2...with hand warmer pockets.

120108_jon_huntsman_605_ap-1.jpg

AF

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
George Sr. certainly earned it. Thanks all for the photos, esp. young Neil Armstrong and John Lennon. (Was that really from the day he died? Is it a G-1?).

Also, the quip about good-looking but unknown actors ( Wagner and McQueen) was, almost certainly, irony.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Von Ryans jacket quiz answer.

Anyway here is a puzzler for you if you like this movie! (Von Ryans Express)
Where were the final scenes in the rail tunnel and cliff edge filmed? It is one of my favourite places so 10 points to whoever gets it first. No clues but it is not Switzerland and there are no credits for this in the final titles. I'll post a link if no one gets it:cool:
J

And the bridge is Caminito Del Rey, El Choro, Malaga district, Spain.
http://blog.thecheaproute.com/el-caminito-del-rey-scene-von-ryans-express/
John

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Did he trade the jacket for a tiger tank at the end of the movie?....Think the German tank commander was wearing it!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Andy Garcia in "When A Man Loves A Woman." I wish I could find a better picture of the A-2 that he is wearing. It has 1st LT bars sewn on the shoulders and if I remember correctly from the movie there is a squadron patch on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran