• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Favorite Authors

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Undertow, May 16, 2008.

1. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

It doesn't matter what period you prefer, it doesn't matter what subject grabs your interest; you're probably fond of reading (I mean honestly, you're on a text-rich message board).

So who are your favorite authors? Try to list at least two and no more than five (yeah, I know, you'll have to eliminate a few). Also, it would be nice to have a brief explanation as to why they are your favorites.
  2. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have three favorites (off the top of my head):
    1. Washington Irving
    2. Edgar Allen Poe
    3. Marquis de Sade

I think the first two are awesome at telling stories and using description to paint a scene. Both of them make me want to read all through the night.

Sade is awesome not only for his humor, which is abundant throughout his work, but also for his interesting philisophical perspective and grotesque boundary breaking.
  3. Swedish author Camila Läckberg
    Agatha Christie
    Stephen King
    Umberto Eco
    Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
  4. Margaret Atwood
    Bill Bryson
    Tom Clancy
    Henry Rollins

.... Bit of an eclectic selection.
  5. sixsexsix

sixsexsix Practically Family

Ernest Hemingway
    Sinclair Lewis
    Chuck Palahniuk
  6. LadyStardust

LadyStardust Practically Family

Great Topic.

1. Gerald Durrell
    2. Charlotte & Emily Bronte (tied)
    3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    4. Ayn Rand
    5. Jean Webster
  7. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Tom Clancy
    Alexander Dumas

And today I read about an author, Sabatini, who is supposed to be similar to Dumas.
  8. Charles Dickens -- There are authors you read in school because you have to. But if you're lucky, they become authors you read because you *want* to.

Mark Twain -- Ditto.

Oscar Wilde -- The ultimate triumph of style over substance.

P. G. Wodehouse -- The only fiction worth reading when I'm depressed.

E. C. Segar -- A brilliant comedic novelist disguised as a cartoonist.
  9. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

Joe R Lansdale

Hunter S Thompson

Jon Krakauer
  10. Polka Dot

Polka Dot A-List Customer

I like your taste for the macabre and grotesque, Undertow.

My favorites:

Emile Zola - He really tortured his characters. Not that I'm into torture, but it makes for a fascinating read.
    Colette - Her prose is just genius -- lyrical and heartwrenching.
    Michael Chabon - Excellent storyteller, and my favorite contemporary author.
    Henry James - I'm just echoing what others have said about him, but he was a master of the novel. He really set the stage for post-modern fiction.
  11. alexandra

alexandra Practically Family

Rainer Maria Rilke is my favourite author.
  12. Edward Whittemore

R.A. Lafferty

Lawrence Durrell

Robert Anton Wilson

Mark Helprin
  13. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

These 2 first...

1) Scott Fitzgerald... 'because his books epitomised everything that was beautiful and damned about the Jazz Age'.

2)Ernest Hemingway...'because he produced some of the most memorable fiction of last century....his haunted life...his unforgettable death, in all his bloody ghastliness... Intense and visually magnificent, he was a writer of genious'.
  14. CeceliaRose

CeceliaRose New in Town

Margaret Atwood - "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Oryx and Crake" are wonderfully creepy but totally believable at the same time... I can read these over and over again.

Orson Scott Card - The "Ender" series is wonderful science fiction, and then he turns aroud and tells the same story from another character's perspective in the "Ender's Shadow" series... just wonderful.

Diana Gabaldon - historical fiction mixed with time travel, and all of her novels are in excess of 1000 pages... she really knows how to make a reader fall in love with and care about what happens to her characters.

WEB Griffin - "The Corps" series is what got me interested in the Pacific Theater of WWII. I was previously strictly a European Theater researcher, but his detail and characters make the War in the Pacific live again for his readers.

Bodie Thoene - the author responsible for my interest in WWII, and Israel's struggle for independence. I read her "Zion Covenant" and "Zion Legacy" series in high school, and it all took off from there.
  15. Okay...
    -Thomas Hardy
    -E.M. Forster
    -Mervyn Peake
    -T.S Eliot
    -Neil Gaiman
    -Caleb Carr
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte
    -China Mieville
  16. Bourbon Guy

Bourbon Guy A-List Customer

Hemingway - for the bood-in-the-sand rawness of his writing; no varnish, no decoration.

John le Carre' - generally credited as the most accurate in describing the cold war espionage business.

Raymond Chandler - straight whiskey to Dashiell Hammett's lite beer.

Every author I have ever read which was reprinted in the Lakeside Press series. All first-hand accounts of life in the West and on the prairie. Myth-busters without intending to be.
  17. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

favourite author one that fits this forum.

An author that art deco period lovers would love is edward wright, clea.s moon was the first one and he has two more with this same character. His stories are set just after the second world. His hero is a anti hero, isnt that real , a real gray character no white horse or white hat. But the music and the cars and clothing and period are pure forties. And all the bad stuff, that was. Enjoy, 59Lark.
  18. WH1

WH1 Practically Family

PG Wodehouse always brightens the day
    Hemingway specifically his hunting works
    Christopher Buckley-Wodehouse with an american political bent
    Kurt Vonnegut-Most creative writer of the post WWII era
    Ayn Rand-Visionary
    John Keegan-Brilliant historian fascinated by his works on leadership
    John Boyd-author of the OODA (observe, orient, decide, act) loop, arguably the most influential military theorist of the late 20th century.
  19. Custom79

Custom79 One of the Regulars

Detective & Adventure Novels

Robert B. Parker writes the Spenser detective novels and Clive Cussler pens the adventures of Dirk Pitt.

My favorites by far.