Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
What are some favorite steaks people enjoy? I mean reallllly enjoy.

Sometimes, I could have smallest fillet migon, but if it melts in my mouth like buttter, I am satisfied. Other times, I want the biggest T bone i can get my hands on

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's all good. But my favorite is the New York strip (in NY, ask for a "shell"), followed by the ribeye and porterhouse. Ideal accompaniments: frisée or spinach salad, roasted asparagus, and a deep complex red wine, like a good Cotes du Rhône.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As is so often the case, I agree with Fletch. I like a really good small shell steak. I like a rich tasting beer with it, but I really like a nice glass of wine, a hearty Burgundy or Merlot. With some taters and maybe haricots verte. If I can't have haricots verte, I'll settle for string beans. ;)
And how about some creme brulee for dessert? With a nice little cup of espresso. Aw, gee, why'd ya have to go and get me all salivated up for when I've only got frozen hamburgers in the fridge?

rumblefish

One Too Many
I like my steak to have a bit of fat and a bone on it. Porterhouse does just fine; cooked dark, not burnt, on the outside and cold raw on the inside. If not a porterhouse or T-bone, a ribeye, or even a chuck will do.

Now to drink;

I like the bold Italian wines with most red meats, beef, venison, wild duck or goose (which I also prefer rare), so I'd go with an Amarone, Sangiovese, Barolo, or Barbaresco.

Any of you ladies or gents ever have Steak Madagascar?

This however, calls for a California or French- Cabernet Sauvignon.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I used to be a medium-well sirloin gal, and then I married a Texan. :D

Now the only steak for me is a medium-rare ribeye. Mmmmmmm!

Add a loaded baked potato, sauteed mushrooms and onions, green salad with bleu cheese on the side. Perfection!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
You mean Phyllis Diller's description: "With a little care it might recover."

Or as the less delicate Denis Leary said, "Send it out here, I'll cut off what I want and ride the rest home!" :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Breeds of cattle

That reminds me, any preferences on breed? There's a big push for Black Angus these days. I've had it and enjoyed it, but I suspect it's at least as much a question of how the animal was treated and what it was fed. I saw a couple of Charolais steers get loose in my neighbors yard years ago. They're big and white and look almost mythical. They made my mouth water just seing them galloping down the gulley. Anyone ever have Charolais?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of which (almost off topic)

Beside being a Lounge-a-holic (a good thing!) I'm also a Google-holic.
So here's Rio Bravo, top bull at Angell Charolais Farms in Centralia MO.
RioBlanco.jpg

Here's their website. It's full of information you NEVER EVER EVER hear discussed in the 5 boros of New York City!
http://angellcharolais.com/index.html

Wesne

One of the Regulars
My preference is a rib steak, on the bone, cooked fast to medium rare over a hot charcoal fire. No marinade or fancy stuff, just a little salt and some coarsely ground black pepper. I'm of the belief that leaving the meat on the bone lends a better flavor. I'll select the steak and cook it myself. I never order steak at a restaurant. When I splurge for a fancy meal, I want something I can't or won't cook on my own.

A rib steak is fattier than other cuts and probably the worst choice from a health standpoint, but oh, the flavor and texture of it! It's not something I'm going to make a steady diet of, but when I want a steak I'm going all the way I'll eat chicken, fish and venison when I want to eat healthy.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's a well known fact that it's the fat that makes it tasty.
In the "Golden Age" the standard way of cooking steaks was on a hot iron skillet. Charcoal grilling was basically unknown until the 50's.
Actually, charcoal briquettes started when Henry Ford took the wood crates that his cars (or car parts?) were delivered in, put them in a kiln, and made charcoal which he distributed to his employees. Thus a whole industry was born. I still like a pan fried steak.

merkman

Familiar Face
Tri-tip..........you never have to wonder if it's going to be tough.
It's my choice for grilling at home. If we are going out to eat, I'd say
New York.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'll have a Delmonico steak, medium, with thick-cut fries, brown sauce, and a Guinness.
Very good madame. Now exactly which Delmonico would madame prefer?

Wikipedia: Delmonico said:
bone-in top loin steak
(a triangular-shaped, short loin cut, some suggesting the first cut of the top loin next to the rib end) also known as a club steak, country club steak, shell steak, and strip loin steak;
boneless rib-eye steak
A Delmonico cut rib-eye consists of two heart cuts of ribeye tied together with butcher's twine. It resembles a filet mignon in appearance, but because of the more marbled nature of a ribeye, is more moist. The modern rarity of the Delmonico cut of rib-eye may be due to fact that it renders the remaining pieces of ribeye unsaleable as anything but stewmeat, and the profit to be made from a pair of choice ribeyes is almost always more than that of a single Delmonico. A few sources describe the Delmonico cut of rib-eye differently as a bone-in cut.
boneless top loin strip steak
(also known as a New York strip steak, Kansas City steak, strip loin, ambassador, boneless club, hotel or veiny steak)
Aaaand for brown sauce, we have HP, A-1, A-2, Heinz 57, and that sugary glop that goes with the Chinese beef & broccoli.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
ANY kind of steak!

But I must confess that I love a T-bone the way my father cooked them: garlic, salt and pepper, fried fast.

A So. Cal. chain, Norms, Makes them exactly the same way. So getting one there tastes like father's home cooking. :)

Lee

Wesne

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Well, it's a well known fact that it's the fat that makes it tasty.
In the "Golden Age" the standard way of cooking steaks was on a hot iron skillet. Charcoal grilling was basically unknown until the 50's.
Actually, charcoal briquettes started when Henry Ford took the wood crates that his cars (or car parts?) were delivered in, put them in a kiln, and made charcoal which he distributed to his employees. Thus a whole industry was born. I still like a pan fried steak.

I've got a big old iron skillet that I use when it's too cold to grill outside. I do love the taste of a steak cooked over charcoal, but if you get that iron good and hot it will certainly do the job and make a nice steak.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
We've still got a small independent butcher in the village down the block that has some of the best meats around.
His ribeyes are the BEST.
Just salt,pepper and charcoal grill, very rare, and I'm happy soul.
His prime rib is a killer as well.
We deep fried a prime rib this year for Christmas and it was excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran