Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite leather jacket style + favourite skin/hide

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For whatever reason beater coats and **** kicker boots are what we tend to grab on the fly.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
As much as I'm digging my new JL fqhh custom half-belt, the first jacket that they made for me remains my favorite. That jacket is like a cross between a bike jacket and a Highwayman, but with lines that are cleaner than either. It's constructed from a special run of Horween's brown Chromexcel steerhide (3.75 oz.) that is overdyed in black.

Graemsay

Practically Family
In my limited experience thus far.... 50's Halfbelt Vintage midweight HH. Comfy, fly, distinctive and versatile. I love the look of Horween FQHH and the lustre but the break-in is hard effin' work!

The trick is to find some poor sap to do the heavy lifting for you. :D

My favourite jacket at present would be the Aero Six Pocket Hippie. I prefer it to the original because it's been stripped back.

Leather? It would have to be the cod tanned deerskin from a little tannery in Germany. Aero and Ironheart produced a few Western shirts in it last year, and they were absolutely gorgeous. Had I not been broke at the time, I'd have ordered something made out of it.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I'll Roll with this one

My New (for me) Eastman Leather Clothing Lufwaffe

232323232%7Ffp73476%3Enu%3D82%3B9%3E%3B39%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D363277586234%3Anu0mrj

It should be horse, although not indicated on the label.. the hide is substantial and soft.. I haven't taken it off much since it showed up.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The trick is to find some poor sap to do the heavy lifting for you. :D

My favourite jacket at present would be the Aero Six Pocket Hippie. I prefer it to the original because it's been stripped back.

Leather? It would have to be the cod tanned deerskin from a little tannery in Germany. Aero and Ironheart produced a few Western shirts in it last year, and they were absolutely gorgeous. Had I not been broke at the time, I'd have ordered something made out of it.

I thought I was the only guy who liked the Aero Hippy Jacket...the name is what sells it to me though...and I think I'd take a four pocket configuration if that was possible...
Good to see that one finally sold on the Aero sale page...I was beginning to feel sorry for it!

Graemsay

Practically Family
Apparently Colin Farrell has one. So that makes three of us. :)

I tried the Hippie on at Aero last year, and it was a size too small for me. Otherwise I'd have probably had it.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. Personally not keen on the lining, but then I have an aversion to auld tartan and its derivatives.
I can never quite see why the Heron is called a 'civy A-1' since beyond a shared button front they are poles apart.
I'd love one of these Herons with a more subtle lining though - it looks a quality garment.

devilish

A-List Customer
The Himel Bros. booth at Inspiration this weekend was easily the best smelling one there. The leather aroma was glorious.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha ha! Fair cop. Mind you, I like a retina slashing lining, it gives a jacket a bit of hidden pizazz. That looks a heavy fabric though, sort of picnic blanket weight.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thought so! I prefer to reserve it for packaging shortbread...
:)
For me the Heron is more understated, but it's essntially a 20s/30s chore coat so I can appreciate why you'd go for the tartan as it's in keeping.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Is the inside pocket after market or an HB design?
Not sure that I'd have picked that fabric (the burgundy might have been easier to match).

Edward

Bartender
Is the inside pocket after market or an HB design?
Not sure that I'd have picked that fabric (the burgundy might have been easier to match).

Alternatively, is it a HB repro of a home-installed inside pocket on an original vintage jacket?

Heiko

Familiar Face
This is gorgeous. I'll never be able to afford one (and I'd probably be scared to wear it even if I did!), but I love knowing that these are out there. Great design. I love the collar - so unique in the current market.

If you only feel the need for a couple leathers it isnt too expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot