Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
SayCici said:
I'm not much of a perfume wearer, but I do love anything that smells like honeysuckle.
I know Bath and Body Works had a Honeysuckle perfume. It's a bit strong but it smells lovely if you just use the tiniest bit.

TracyLord

New in Town
Vanilla

Lily Powers said:
That's a lovely scent. Smells light and sweet in the bottle, smells alluring on other people, but on me, it's just icky. I sample 4 scents when I shop for oils or perfume - one on each forearm, and one on each wrist - then I keep sniffing the scents to see how they change after being on my skin for an hour or so. Sometimes, I can't get to soap and water fast enough! :D

Hi, I've been looking in on this board for a little while...with not much to add. I noticing this thread I was going to ask if anyone knew where one could buy just very plain scents--I was going to ask specifically for Vanilla- as one had the teeniest little bottle. I have no idea where I got it from originally, but I loved it. I spelled so delicious, but alas, it wasn't to last.

I'm VERY tempted by the above. It does look great.
I haven't looked through this whole thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew where you could just get very plain scents, that maybe had less hints of everything. I'm still a youngin' trying to be a lady. I read somewhere, and have thoroughly approved of the concept, that a lady should have a characteristic scent, that should be very simple (I don't think one wants to go around smelling like they have TRIED to smell nice, they should just go around smelling like they've walked out of a garden of roses, lilacs, lilies, or just made a batch or vanilla something-or-others. Or in my case, accidentally spilled vanilla essense on myself)--I've yet to find mine...and yet to find How to find mine.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Vanilla...well I LOVE vanilla fragrance and I just bought a lotion of the Bath and Bodyworks scent 'Vanilla Noir' - which might be a bit too vampy for what you're looking for, it's filed under their "sexy" scents and it is indeed got stuff going on that's not vanilla, as one thing says "Instead, black plum and orchid top notes neutralize the sweetness of the vanilla, while cashmeran and tonka grant it a dark and smoky essence. I feel that it captures very accurately the feeling of a 40's film noir." (By the way I came in here to say how much I adore my new lotion can you tell? lol )

Buuuut bath and bodyworks ALSO has a "warm vanilla sugar" scent that is much softer and gentler and sort of girlier, if that makes sense. For you, I'd say avoid the Noir and go with the warm sugar - it's a much gentler "I'd rather be baking" scent.

I'm not a good girl! lol

That said, Secret deodorant has a scent called va-va-vanilla which is very nice and not too strong and it's a good way to get a faint whiff scent that isn't too strong. And if you find a good pure essential oil for the vanilla your body products won't be competing which is always yucky.

BlameOnMame

New in Town
I think I'll always be hooked on Dior Hypnotic poison.

I briefly wore L by Gwen Stefani, but it didn't last very long. I also love scented oils, especially rose. But whenever I try to wear anything other than hypnotic poison, it just doesn't feel right.

GibsonGirl

New in Town
TracyLord said:
Hi, I've been looking in on this board for a little while...with not much to add. I noticing this thread I was going to ask if anyone knew where one could buy just very plain scents--I was going to ask specifically for Vanilla- as one had the teeniest little bottle. I have no idea where I got it from originally, but I loved it. I spelled so delicious, but alas, it wasn't to last.

I'm VERY tempted by the above. It does look great.
I haven't looked through this whole thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew where you could just get very plain scents, that maybe had less hints of everything. I'm still a youngin' trying to be a lady. I read somewhere, and have thoroughly approved of the concept, that a lady should have a characteristic scent, that should be very simple (I don't think one wants to go around smelling like they have TRIED to smell nice, they should just go around smelling like they've walked out of a garden of roses, lilacs, lilies, or just made a batch or vanilla something-or-others. Or in my case, accidentally spilled vanilla essense on myself)--I've yet to find mine...and yet to find How to find mine.

I am very very very picky about Vanilla (I'm even picky about the vanilla I cook and bake with). It's one of those fragrances that tends to be either very very good or very very bad. I've read that vanilla and "foody" scents in general tend to be very appealing to men (though for some reason my BF hates them haha) and vanilla is an integral base to many fragrances, even if it's not a prevalent note.

I tend to stay away from all the "vanilla sugar" scents as they tend to be plasticky, flat, and juvenile-smelling. the BBW vanilla sugar scent, I avoid like the plague. It smells so synthetic and cloying. However, over the holidays they offer a Vanilla Bean Noel scent which is much better. L'Occitane makes a lovely Vanilla fragrance, and Anthropologie used to carry an entire array of vanilla scents that were quite wonderful, but there is one vanilla fragrance that has outshone every other I have ever tried. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but it's the Body Fantasies Vanilla. http://www.walgreens.com/store/stor...=frgl_715293&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku375256.

I discovered it years ago when I actually wore "body spray" (I believe I was in 8th grade and thought the fairies on the cap were cute) and was taken in immediately. It is a true vanilla. Rich, creamy, warm, and surprisingly sophisticated. It has undertones of caramel and musk, which lend it an exotic presence. My 50 year old mother (who is a total fragrance snob) adored it as well. I wore it for years (all through high school and college) and would never be without a bottle of their shimmer body cream (every time I would wear it I would get compliments on how gorgeous my skin looked and smelled). It was like my secret weapon. It even layered beautifully under other fragrances.

The only reason I stopped wearing it is because the man who I have been with for the past three years dislikes vanilla fragrances in general. I do hope they haven't changed the formulation over the past couple of years because it is truly divine and I highly recommend it. I rarely re-purchase products because I'm such a junkie that I have to try everything, but when I wore this, i went through bottle after bottle of the lotion. It was the perfect consistency, had just the right amount of fragrance, and left my skin (whether it was fair or a little more tan for summer) looking healthy and glowy, never glittery.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I love citrusy scents. My newest favorite I got for my birthday from my 16 yo. White Citrus body spray from Bath and Body, its yummy. I'm heading there today to see if the one up the street has the lotion to go with it.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried any of Coty's scents? I love the way their powder smells and saw that they sell fragrances at The Vermont Country Store. There's 3 of them, I believe.

PS

A-List Customer
Can anyone recommend a fragrance with a cinnamon note to it? Is there such a thing?

Retro Perfumer

New in Town
Cinnamon Note

PS said:
Can anyone recommend a fragrance with a cinnamon note to it? Is there such a thing?

I have a chocolaty perfume in my fragrance line called "Pure Sin". It has cinnamon as one of the top notes but it is very subtle. Are you looking for something that would be stronger?

PS

A-List Customer
I am not really sure what I am looking for. My husband and I have never agreed on a fragrance for me. He has tolerated my choices but downright dislikes and has no issue being vocal about his how much he'd like my current fragrance to disappear. He said he likes cinnamon, its the only smell he can't get enough of...but I am thinking more of a cinnamon bun, sticky creamy sweet smell is what he is thinking of as opposed to straight cinnamon stick.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There are scents with cinnamon like Cinnabar, but I am not sure if this is what you are going for.

There is one that is sweet, has notes of orange, vanilla and cinnamon, called L de Lolita Lempicka. I have a bottle, but I can't stand it because it is too sweet and I don't love cinnamon. It might work for you though.

Demeter does have a scent called Cinnamon Bun, but I am not sure if they still make it. You can probably find it online.

BTW, what is your current fragrance PS?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
For anyone looking for a fresh but still sophisticated and complex perfume, I highly recommend checking out Caron's Alpona, I think it's wonderful. May come off too masculine on some, but if it works on you it's a great citrusy fresh scent because it isn't fresh in that tacky way that turns either sweet or uninteresting.

A lot of people think this is one of the best chypre perfumes out there. Here are its notes and what The Perfumed Court write about it:

The fragrance notes are lemon, grapefruit, bergamot, rose, orange, jasmine, orchid, thyme, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, sandalwood, musk and oakmoss. Despite being launched in 1939, this is not your mother's citrus perfume. This is a rich, sophisticated chypre.

analiebe

A-List Customer
laura... this sounds divine - my kind of scent, and perfect for summer... thank you for the recommendation!:)

Laura Chase said:
For anyone looking for a fresh but still sophisticated and complex perfume, I highly recommend checking out Caron's Alpona, I think it's wonderful. May come off too masculine on some, but if it works on you it's a great citrusy fresh scent because it isn't fresh in that tacky way that turns either sweet or uninteresting.

A lot of people think this is one of the best chypre perfumes out there. Here are its notes and what The Perfumed Court write about it:

The fragrance notes are lemon, grapefruit, bergamot, rose, orange, jasmine, orchid, thyme, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, sandalwood, musk and oakmoss. Despite being launched in 1939, this is not your mother's citrus perfume. This is a rich, sophisticated chypre.

Emer

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
I actually just ordered 8 samples and they are on thier way to me!! I am super excited to try them out and see if I like them.. thier cute packaging was what caught me :)

Lela, please let us know what you think! I didn't realize they sold little samples, but maybe I'll purchase a few. Which ones did you order?

clubwitsend

Practically Family
my two favorites : Shalimar by Guerlain and L'eau de Merveilles from Hermes! Merveilles has this shimmering quality to it that I just love- very energetic yet refined.

I did smell the new Marc Jacobs scent, Lola - its more mysterious/dramatic than his other scents...

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Emer said:
Lela, please let us know what you think! I didn't realize they sold little samples, but maybe I'll purchase a few. Which ones did you order?

I ordered:
Speakeasy Vanilla
Honey Suckle Sweet Tea
Jasmine Verbena
Apricot Vanilla
Belle Marie
Buxom
Du Bois

I am super duper excited to get them.. All the wonderful scents!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy