Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
I ordered:
Speakeasy Vanilla
Honey Suckle Sweet Tea
Jasmine Verbena
Apricot Vanilla
Belle Marie
Buxom
Du Bois

I am super duper excited to get them.. All the wonderful scents!

I ordered two samples and LOVE them. I have Soledad and 101. They are not overpowering, very well balanced and exactly as described (I find that some scents smell different to me than the description). Also, the scent lasted and did not disintegrate into an alcohol smell at the end.

Soledad is a sunny day scent, and 101 is a bit more lush, def. an evening scent for me.

I will buy these again!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
MsStabby said:
I ordered two samples and LOVE them. I have Soledad and 101. They are not overpowering, very well balanced and exactly as described (I find that some scents smell different to me than the description). Also, the scent lasted and did not disintegrate into an alcohol smell at the end.

Soledad is a sunny day scent, and 101 is a bit more lush, def. an evening scent for me.

I will buy these again!

Now I am even more excited to try the scents out.. I have such a hard time with parfume cause I can put it on.. and and hour later.. its gone.. There are very few scents that will stay on me.. so Im crossing my fingers

Emer

One of the Regulars
Odd question

Does anyone know what perfume shops were called back in the 40s and 50s? Or just any time past? I thought there was an actual name for them... not sundries... millineries are hat stores... anyone? Anyone?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There is parfumerie in French, but most scents were purchased at department stores, five and dime stores, pharmacies or boutiques in the US as far as I know.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Hmm... then I don't know what I'm thinking about. I thought there was an actual name. Maybe it is parfumerie. Oh well. [huh] Just thought I'd ask!

analiebe

A-List Customer
it is indeeed parfumerie... we are lucky enough here in melbourne to have had an amazing woman, emma leah, open a deco-styled parfumerie ... making traditional scents - its just stunning (see photo below) i am saving pennies so one day i might be able to afford to have her concoct me something!
fleurage-perfume-salon.jpg

Emer said:
Hmm... then I don't know what I'm thinking about. I thought there was an actual name. Maybe it is parfumerie. Oh well. [huh] Just thought I'd ask!

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
Now I am even more excited to try the scents out.. I have such a hard time with parfume cause I can put it on.. and and hour later.. its gone.. There are very few scents that will stay on me.. so Im crossing my fingers

Be sure to give us a review! I'm interested in opinions of the other scents.

Emer

One of the Regulars
As soon as we move I'm definitely ordering some samples! Silly though it may sound, I really hope that I like the Speakeasy Vanilla--the name itself is just so vintage! lol My husband talked me in to putting "Honeysuckle Sweet Tea" and "Mostly Magnolia" on my list as well. He's a Southerner. ;)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Emer said:
As soon as we move I'm definitely ordering some samples! Silly though it may sound, I really hope that I like the Speakeasy Vanilla--the name itself is just so vintage! lol My husband talked me in to putting "Honeysuckle Sweet Tea" and "Mostly Magnolia" on my list as well. He's a Southerner. ;)

Hahaha.. I agree with you about the Speakeasy Vanilla... it just drug me right in ;)
All the name are so creative and make me want to go scent crazy... I checked the tracking on my samples.. and they come in today!! WOOOHOO!!

I will be giving you lovely ladies updates on my samples :)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
SAMPLES!!

So I received my samples in the post yesterday and my oh my.. she is very generous on her samples and the packaging is super cute to boot!

I put on the Apricot Vanilla last night and the scent at first was strange to me since it was different than I normally wear.. but after it settled it was such a beautiful scent. Not to mention that the staying power is UNBELIEVABLE!

This morning I put on Honeysuckle Sweet Tea.. and I must say this is my FAV so far.. the scent is sweet with a hint of spring.. when you get a whiff of it at first its very light but with a second whiff you can really smell the body of the scent.. sweet!

zombi

A-List Customer
I'm another BPAL gal -- my favourites depend on the season! For autumn, I'm wearing a lot of:
Verdandi (herbs, apple & black amber)
October (dry leaves -- it's like autumn in a bottle!)
Sachs (chamomile & bourbon vanilla)
Zombi (dry roses & grave dirt, natch) ;)
Penny Dreadful (this one is hard to describe -- ginger & grave loam, for sure)

I love perfume way, way too much! :rolleyes:
And if I could figure out how to get my hands on an original formulation of Miss Dior, I would. Apparently later versions don't smell the same as it used to when it was released, and I know for certain that Miss Dior Cherie is not the same blend.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie, what do you think of the others you ordered? I was going through the shop and I a choice of your choices sound right up my alley.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Wiggle!

Ok.. Sooo.. I have all my samples.. WOOOHOO!

Buxon- what a beautiful scent... its floral.. on me it smells like magnolia's.. as the say wears on you can smell a sweet side to it.. YUMM

101- smell is not to light, nor too strong.. I think its just the right combination of floral/sweet. Kind of remindes me of pepermint candy on me.. but not very strong.

Zooey- To me.. was WOAH.. reminded me of bug repellent.. has a very woody scent with citrus.. just did not mix well with my body.

Du Bois- My HOLY Grail! This scent is sooooo sensual.. when I first put it on.. I was taken over by the scent.. delish.. its a tad floral.. with a softer sweet scent.. it truly remindes me of a moviestar.. :)

Jasmine Verbena- This one was interesting.. I needed some time to adjust to this one.. VERY floral! When it settled into my skin.. it wasnt too much but reminded me of those fancy floral soaps they sell in Europe.. its a very clean scent!

Belle Marie- I really liked this scent for a night out with your honey.. it has a very sensual seductive sweet smell.. but not sickly... its warm and inviting..
The Honey told me I should wear this one more often "wink wink" Hahaha...

Theda- Umm.. interesting.. not my scent at all.. its a very vintage scent.. reminds me of an older southern woman.. very musky with citrus.. reminds me of a humid night.. as well as something my great grandmother would wear

Speakeasy Vanilla- Yummm.. it does remind me of cupcakes when I smell it from the bottle.. but once I put it on and leave it for about 5 min.. the scent changes to a very warm scent.. reminds me of a sunny day in kansas.. relaxing on the porch drinkin iced tea.. I thought it would be sickly sweet.. but not at all.. I think it has just the right combination of sweet and cinnamon.

Hope this helps ladies.. I love all the scents.. and they are all so unique.. i get to choose my scent based on my mood.. its fun!

kekecat

New in Town
I love Chloe EDT by Chloe....obviously:D

I was intially attracted to it by the beautiful vintage look bottle (see here) then won over by the scent. I have a set with the body lotion and they look lovely on my dressing table.

I also like using just essential oils on their own sometimes if i'm feeling low key.

Boots used to do all the (what were deemed to be) old lady perfumes such as Yardly's lavender/ Rose / Lily of the Valley but they stopped selling it in favour of the new perfumes around :( Never seen them elsewhere - in an actual shop anyway! I love Rose scents and Yardly's was ace.

TallulahDahling

New in Town
Anais, Anais for the spring and Dolce and Gabbana for cooler months. During the summer in the deep South, it's Xtra Firm Hold hairspray and nothing else. :D

Mamma always said, "Never wear cheap perfume and never drink cheap scotch!"

TallulahDahling

New in Town
analiebe said:
it is indeeed parfumerie... we are lucky enough here in melbourne to have had an amazing woman, emma leah, open a deco-styled parfumerie ... making traditional scents - its just stunning (see photo below) i am saving pennies so one day i might be able to afford to have her concoct me something!
fleurage-perfume-salon.jpg

Oh that rug is to die for!!! :cool:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Vold Nuit or Shalimar

"I have a lovely Deco Bottle that has a small amount of Scent in it, the bottle says "Vol de Nuit" I wasn't exactly sure if it was the real deal so i dropped into "David Jones" a posh dept Store here in River City.

They did not have any V.D.N in stock! I asked if Shalimar was similar ( Which I had heard) she could not explain the difference! but said there was a difference the little sample she gave me smells very much like whats in my V.D.N bottle! any ideas, and is there a male type of Vol de Nuit?

3968824488_c0e981efdd.jpg

"I usually wear Guerlain Vetiver in summer, Habit Rouge in Winter but open to polite suggestions"

Tourbillion

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"I have a lovely Deco Bottle that has a small amount of Scent in it, the bottle says "Vol de Nuit" I wasn't exactly sure if it was the real deal so i dropped into "David Jones" a posh dept Store here in River City.

They did not have any V.D.N in stock! I asked if Shalimar was similar ( Which I had heard) she could not explain the difference! but said there was a difference the little sample she gave me smells very much like whats in my V.D.N bottle! any ideas, and is there a male type of Vol de Nuit?

3968824488_c0e981efdd.jpg

"I usually wear Guerlain Vetiver in summer, Habit Rouge in Winter but open to polite suggestions"

Shalimar is not similar at all. It has a strong amber note. Vol de Nuit is lighter and softer. I would just wear Vol de Nuit if I were you (and if I had a bottle instead of a small sample).

However, if you insist on a man's fragrance, it is heavy on the iris to my nose. You could try Prada Infusion d'Homme, Prada Iris (unisex), or maybe Arpege pour Homme but they are just not the same.

Delia's Gone

New in Town
I just ordered ten different samples from Wiggle Perfume. So far, Zooey and Honeysuckle Sweet Tea work quite well on me. I ordered Remedy and 27 for my fella but he doesn't like them. I'd be glad to send the samples to anyone who wants them! Just PM me.

EDITED: The samples are gone, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner