Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathers in your hatbands?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I would only leave the feather in if I felt it complimented the hat in some way, like the blue on black that Splatt displayed.

Don't like those big feathers they sometimes put on cowboy hats, I think it looks tacky, but that is just my opinion.

I am more prone, now, to keep a feather in a hat after reading on the Internet of the history of feathers in hats and caps through the ages, from hunters and warriors who were rewarded with a feather for a good hunt, through soldiers who wore them to identify their units or regiments, to soldiers who wore them as a reward for their military prowess.

Which, I guess, is why they use the term "a feather in his cap."

karol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
I am more prone, now, to keep a feather in a hat after reading on the Internet of the history of feathers in hats and caps through the ages, from hunters and warriors who were rewarded with a feather for a good hunt, through soldiers who wore them to identify their units or regiments, to soldiers who wore them as a reward for their military prowess.

Which, I guess, is why they use the term "a feather in his cap."

karol
Got any links or pics, that sounds pretty interesting!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
One of the most interesting sites is the one on Australian digger hats and their history, including the feathers the soldiers wore.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniform/slouch_hat. htm

Also there is an interesting site on feathers (includes women's hats, too):

http://www.geocities.com/felicitax/Hats.htm

If those don't work because I've missed a dot or dash, you can use a search engine like Google and write in "feathers hats history."

I found some interesting sites on Native American feathers and their meaning and symbols, also some new age stuff.

karol

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just got a new Chatham that arrived with a pin and a feather. I left them in for awhile but after removing them I liked the "cleaner" look better.

splatt

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
One of the most interesting sites is the one on Australian digger hats and their history, including the feathers the soldiers wore.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniform/slouch_hat. htm

Also there is an interesting site on feathers (includes women's hats, too):

http://www.geocities.com/felicitax/Hats.htm

If those don't work because I've missed a dot or dash, you can use a search engine like Google and write in "feathers hats history."

I found some interesting sites on Native American feathers and their meaning and symbols, also some new age stuff.

karol

So the person who invented the saying, "you learn something new everyday", obviously used to hang out at the lounge ;)

Thanks for the links karol.

MD11

Familiar Face
I've just ordered an Art F. hat and it comes with the feather.. I'm not much of a feather guy, but since this is my first proper fedora, with ribbon and all, I'd like to put a pin in it.. does anyone know a good source to find hat pins and can send me a link to it ether via PM or in this thread?

thanks

Sam

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MD11 said:
I've just ordered an Art F. hat and it comes with the feather.. I'm not much of a feather guy, but since this is my first proper fedora, with ribbon and all, I'd like to put a pin in it.. does anyone know a good source to find hat pins and can send me a link to it ether via PM or in this thread?

thanks

Sam
What kind of pin might you be looking for?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Dredging this up from the past gents...sorry

I'm looking for some assorted feathers for the pile of hats I'm amassing..(I have GWD disorder I fear...NO CURE! Doomed!):eek:

Anyway,
Does anyone know of a supplier for hat feathers?

Thanks Folks!

GWD

One Too Many
Great, I have my own disorder. I need a GWDectomy!

How about a sporting goods store? Don't they have feathers for making flys?

Or maybe a craft store like Michael's.

I would give you mine but I just throw them away when I get 'em. Except one.
web.jpg
This feather is just right.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I think I'm in a definite minority here. I like feathers, generally, and leave them in, unless they look too tacky or large. Then I take them out, trim them a bit, and then leave them in, hehe.

Not all of my hats have come with them, but on the hats that have, I think they add an air of sophistication and class. Some hats don't need this, of course, but I think it helps the more "western" looking fedoras. I have a largish face, and so need a broader brim to make a hat look good on me -the stingy-brims end up looking kind of like a skullcap. Generally, the broader brimmed hats tend to look a bit more rustic, and a classy feather can do a lot to make the lid look more urbane and citified. (In my humble opinion of aesthetics!)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
You might want to try some of the hat sellers -- Levine, VHS, Benchcraft, etc. They might have feathers they'd be willing to sell you.

Not too long ago, I bought a hat from a seller (sorry, don't recall which it was) and they sent me several extra feathers to use with the hat, they came in a small plastic bag.

Certainly, if you are in to styling your own, you could buy feathers in a crafts shop, then trim them down to fit your hat. I have seen lots of feathers in Hobby Lobby here in Des Moines, or Michaels, which is a crafts chain store.

Maybe Art knows where you can get hat feathers.

karol

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
For me it depends on the hat, the feather, and the occasion. I'd rock a feather if I were going to a wedding, because the mood is upbeat and I see feathers as being rather jaunty hat accessories. Were I going to a funeral, I would prefer my dress be more sober.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
It is Macaroni

The only time I ever have a feather in my hatband is if I pick up a nice one while out walking. Now, living in Australia I get a nice choice of colourful feathers lying around from blues, reds and greens of the parrots to the yellows of cockatoos or the blue black of the bowerbird.
But any feather only lasts for the length of the walk, then it is back to plain bands for me.

carldelo

One Too Many
Try Bencraft

When my wife bought me a hat from Bencraft a while back, the nice old guy at the register pulled a box from somewhere and asked if I wanted a feather in it - I said no, but I guess there's extra feathers kicking around there - so maybe drop Besdor a line....

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GWD and I seem to be of the same mind on this. I've removed the feathers (but kept them in case) on all hats that came with them...except this Disney. Very tasteful 'featherage' in this case:
30e5_1-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner