Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Sweater worn today was a fisherman knit. Irish import, simple stitch but warm and worn beneath Gloverall coat.
Stepping out in the chill I asked myself whether sweater made the man, or man the sweater? Sweaters have character and all are innately unique to touch and sight much like leather jackets, perhaps best a wrinkled A2 Air Corps veteran.
The painted ladies with mission tally not quite a hook with moi though I do favor sewn colour squadron patches, leather name tapes. Sweaters I do think give a head start, rolls and fishermen more so than strict commando, a lead left the individual to make good the finished product with his own stamp.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Berties of Bay - amazing fisherman’s sweaters!

Last week I spent a very enjoyable few days at Robin Hood’s Bay on the Yorkshire coast, a few miles from Whitby. There’s a wonderful little shop in the village, Berties of Bay, who have the most wonderful traditional Gansey fishing sweaters.

https://www.bertiesofbay.co.uk/

After chatting to the owner for a few minutes, then quite a few minutes more (a thoroughly lovely chap), I had to have one, and on his advice went for a Staithes pattern navy blue sweater. £130 and worth every penny!

oh, apparently they used at least one in the recent tv drama The North Water.

E3BD86F5-515C-4A1E-873D-5651368722F0.jpeg

Then I had to go to Staithes in my sweater to hoon about at the front.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Excellent photo and I love the Staithes. I have joined the Berties of Bay mailing list and am likely to follow your example shortly, despite already having an embarrassing number of Guernseys.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Matthew at Bertie said they’re re-doing the pattern of the Staithes right now so only had some in stock. Although, that might have been just for the XL size (which is what I got). The orange colour was excellent, as were the greys, but they only had navy blue in XL.

Their new merino roll neck looked terrific as well. It was very soft and a nice, different look to most. I have so many roll necks, though, I couldn’t justify it.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Matthew at Bertie said they’re re-doing the pattern of the Staithes right now so only had some in stock. Although, that might have been just for the XL size (which is what I got). The orange colour was excellent, as were the greys, but they only had navy blue in XL.

Their new merino roll neck looked terrific as well. It was very soft and a nice, different look to most. I have so many roll necks, though, I couldn’t justify it.
I would be L or XL depending on their sizing. … I shall be interested to see their new pattern for the Staithes. I also liked the look of the orange and greys - and I like the rollneck a lot, a bit like the submariner sweater.

Arnold Layne

New in Town
Also in Yorkshire/Bridlington are Flamborough Marine who make bespoke Gansey's.
They're handknitted instead of machine (and so you have to pay the premium) but they leap from two dimensions into three, kind of sculptural if you will.
Here's Daniel Day Lewis wearing a copy of his Fathers Gansey as reproduced by Flamborough Marine.

flamborough-gansey-daniel-day-lewis-hand-knit-british-sweater-mens-style-tweed-pig-uk-3.jpg

500 gbp for a sweater?!? I've paid that for a hat.

Also

There's an American accademic with the forum name 'mathgrrl' who runs a 3d printing website who recently branched out into analogue knitting and created a four stitch, three colour sequence repeat calling it 'triple check knit'. As far as she (or anyone else) knows, this combination has never been configured before, so unique.
Finding myself kicking my heels during the covid lockdown I knitted myself a triple check knit sweater using Jamiesons of Shetland Aran weight wool in greys.

triple_check_sweater.jpeg

As far as I know ... this is the first sweater made using this unique design =)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
They're handknitted instead of machine (and so you have to pay the premium) but they leap from two dimensions into three, kind of sculptural if you will.
Here's Daniel Day Lewis wearing a copy of his Fathers Gansey as reproduced by Flamborough Marine.

View attachment 491429

Also

There's an American accademic with the forum name 'mathgrrl' who runs a 3d printing website who recently branched out into analogue knitting and created a four stitch, three colour sequence repeat calling it 'triple check knit'. As far as she (or anyone else) knows, this combination has never been configured before, so unique.
Finding myself kicking my heels during the covid lockdown I knitted myself a triple check knit sweater using Jamiesons of Shetland Aran weight wool in greys.

View attachment 491431

Very interested by that sweater. You should start a cottage industry of your own.
I have seen the Daniel Day Lewis photo.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many

View attachment 491429

Also

View attachment 491431

Well done Arnold. A truly splendid knit.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Agreed. Do you also have a ‘collection’ of them?
Indeed. Sweaters are indelible sartorial signatures of both man and moment.
I once saw a photo of Eisenhower taken in the 1920s, while he was stationed in Texas and coach of his post football team, wearing his West Point varsity letter sweater with cowl neck. I love the American athletic sweaters be cardigan, cowl neck vintage, or light wool. The man makes the moment stamped wearing a staunch sweater.

Arnold Layne

New in Town
Very interested by that sweater. You should start a cottage industry of your own.
I have seen the Daniel Day Lewis photo.

Well done Arnold. A truly splendid knit.

Thank you.

A cottage industry?? It took me ages!
I'm not a fluent knitter like perhaps your granny but I'm good at the technical stuff which came into its own as the finished fabric is completely different in size to other knitted fabrics so there are no knitting patterns.

The fabric is double sided meaning the inside has exactly the same pattern as the finished side! It's also double thickness so it's extremely warm.
Amusingly I fell into a river wearing it, walking home from the pub this xmas and when it had filled up with water it was so heavy I found myself unable to climb back up the bank =)
Perhaps not so good for a fishermans sweater!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Amusingly I fell into a river wearing it, walking home from the pub this xmas and when it had filled up with water it was so heavy I found myself unable to climb back up the bank =)
A Trinity brother left a pub Xmas, walking down street saw a Christmas nativity scene or angel, thought it miraculous and fell down on his knees, transfixed. You topped that mate.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
A Trinity brother left a pub Xmas, walking down street saw a Christmas nativity scene or angel, thought it miraculous and fell down on his knees, transfixed. You topped that mate.
Thank you.

A cottage industry?? It took me ages!
I'm not a fluent knitter like perhaps your granny but I'm good at the technical stuff which came into its own as the finished fabric is completely different in size to other knitted fabrics so there are no knitting patterns.

The fabric is double sided meaning the inside has exactly the same pattern as the finished side! It's also double thickness so it's extremely warm.
Fox : Trinity brother meaning Cambridge or Oxford?

Arnold: That was quite an adventure and I am relieved that the sweater (and you, Sir) survived intact. I absolutely love the sweater; if you do make it into a cottage industry, or even something even smaller-scale than that (a closet industry?), please let me know so that I can place an order.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Fox : Trinity brother meaning Cambridge or Oxford?

Arnold: That was quite an adventure and I am relieved that the sweater (and you, Sir) survived intact. I absolutely love the sweater; if you do make it into a cottage industry, or even something even smaller-scale than that (a closet industry?), please let me know so that I can place an order.
Cambridge.

Arnold Layne

New in Town
Thank you for the kind words mate.
In truth though, unless there is another pandemic, I can't see me ...
Maybe 'mathgrrl' will have configured a machine knit soon and we can all have one at the press of a button!!
atb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran