Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire, i tried them last September at their old premises. They were prototypes. The boots were very well made but do not look like original government contract or the Aeroleather repros. So could very well be modelled after a civilian purchase boot. The LL version is more "elegant" with a more pointy toe. The price was in line with their motorcycle boots (£ 325-350).
Didn't take a picture of them but found this one in a blog somewhere:

L1000664b.jpg

And havocpaul mentioned this link from the RAF Forum in another thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/thread/1278452736/D-+Lewis+'36+pattern+Flying+Boots

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hate to be a snitch but I thought it was a no-no to link to live auctions here. And...unless you're the seller, why advertise it and spoil it for anyone who's mangaed to find it themselves (btw I wasn't bidding as I already have two pairs;)).

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
They look very smart - and not 100% authentic.
Something wrong with the vamp and the stitches.

But still - a nice pair of flyingboots for the pilot who had enough money, to buy a pair of handmade personal boots instead of the governement issue ones.

/|\

One of the Regulars
As the bailed out pilot said in Battle Of Britain when the boy offered him a cigarette, 'Thanks awfully, old chap!' :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
What's everyone's opinion of the Aero Leather boots?

I have a pair of 1936 pattern boots from Aero in Scotland.
They are extremely nice - and pretty, pretty close to the originals.(Something with overlap stitching vs hidden stiching)
But unfortunately it looks like they are not selling them anymore.

Before the Aero boots I had a pair from Cockpit/Avirex - many years ago.
They had some really terrible profile rubber soles - but the rest was great and even closer to the originals.
Sold them because they had always been to small.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
To the Bartender:
I did start this thread - and should have started it in the old Flying Boots thread instead. That's how stupid I am!
Please feel free to merge it with the old Flying Boots thread. (Also started by me! Helloooooo stupid!)

/|\

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of 1936 pattern boots from Aero in Scotland.
They are extremely nice - and pretty, pretty close to the originals.(Something with overlap stitching vs hidden stiching)
But unfortunately it looks like they are not selling them anymore.

I bought a pair from Aero... four years ago? Something like that. At the time they were the only ones of which I was aware. Since I worked at Edwards AFB for a few years, and after that was an active airplane and helicopter pilot, I know more about current-issue gear. Archbury got hers at the same time, and she knows more about WWII flying clothing than I do. She says, as you do, that they are very close to the originals. With the knowledge base here, I wanted to see what everyone else is saying about them. The other thread will have to wait until the weekend for a complete reading though! It looks like I made a good choice, and I noticed the other day that Aero no longer sells them. I'm glad I got them when I did!

Unfortunately, I rarely wear them. My mortgage and car payment have conspired to keep me out of the air. (Why can't flying be FREE?) It rarely gets very cold here, and when it does the soles don't play well with the ice. (I'm from L.A., so I don't have a lifetime of walking in the stuff!) When I work from home I tend to stay glued to the laptop, so I don't wear shoes. When I go to the office, my clothing tends to favour brown shoes. So my boots are virtually brand-new, and still stiff. Very comfortable, though. I need to make a point of wearing them more often.

Daze

New in Town
It's great to see that so many people are wearing these boots

what i'm wondering about is how many people are wearing 'original' boots om a day to day basis

If I ( as a re-enactor ) wanted a pair of these boots and my size was available , I would happily pay the price of a modern pair of winter boots as replacement , and i'm prety sure some peopel would offer ' new for old'

it's great to see the old stuff still working , but sometimes on some items you have to throw your hands up in horror that certain stuff is being used or abused after all these years

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Probably if Gary got bombarded by enough people asking for them back, he's do it. They'll still have the patterns and whathaveyou so it shouldn't be a biggie to get them back into production. Only thing I suppose would be sourcing the fleece/leather again.

Mind you it'd probably have to be a LOT of people asking for them to convince ELC to do them again or another limited run.

They do look nice though don't they.

Wow, these boots are rippers. And Eastman made them? They are impressive...what I like about them is that the vamp and side seams sit a bit higher than other repro versions I've seen which would make ( i'm guessing) for a better and more comfortable fit. and chunky soles...
We should get as many Forum members together and ask/petition Eastman to make a limited edition of them again..but they should be made by the same mob..no off-shoring :) or maybe there are Flight Jacket /re-enactor clubs out there to contact from this network. Weight of numbers should do it...i'd like a pair or two before i kick the bucket :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Wow, these boots are rippers. And Eastman made them? They are impressive...what I like about them is that the vamp and side seams sit a bit higher than other repro versions I've seen which would make ( i'm guessing) for a better and more comfortable fit. and chunky soles...
We should get as many Forum members together and ask/petition Eastman to make a limited edition of them again..but they should be made by the same mob..no off-shoring :) or maybe there are Flight Jacket /re-enactor clubs out there to contact from this network. Weight of numbers should do it...i'd like a pair or two before i kick the bucket :)

WalkingBoy, an even better bet would be with RM Williams. A member here Andrew (Windsock) had been in talks with them to do a limited run of 36 Patterns earlier this year. It didn't happen as there were not enough people. But if a decent number could be rustled up then it may be viable. They would be pricey but may end up being the most accurate reproductions available as I believe Andrew was going to work with them on the project and using original pairs as patterns.

36ers made by RM, makes you smile just thinking about it!

Windsock

A-List Customer
Funny thing is I came across those emails in my inbox by accident today. They were from Feb last year so it's a while ago now. This is what they told me then;

"I have spoken with our Boot Factory manager and he thinks it may be possible that we can make these. He needs and physical example of the boots to determine what work is involved and if we can source components.
The other question is what price are you prepared to pay for this type of boot. Top boots vary in prices but this could be as much as $1000.
Let me know if you have a sample to look at? And if you want us to look into it further.
""

and

"The price is determined by the costs involved in making a bespoke boot. If we cannot use our existing lasts then we would have to order new ones. These cost over $300 each. There is also the cost of developing the pattern and the hand cutting. We have a new cutting machine that might remove this cost as once the pattern is developed the machine cuts it out automatically.

Until we see a boot we cannot begin to cost what it would sell at."

I have just the mint pair to send them. It'll cost me a bit to get them there and back so i'm happy to take donations in the name of R+D :)

I might drop them a line and see if the offer still stands.

In the meantime, how bout this shot. Bedggood factory, Fitzroy. The building still stands. I have a number of other's in my treasure box as well.

umpCAT3VART.jpg

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Smithy, hmm..yes the thought of RM's making a Pattern 36 is just too good, isn't it. I'm mighty impressed that they're doing it...and so they should. Off topic a bit, but I want to canvas them about going into their back catalogue and producing limited runs of historic boots. I asked them to make a bespoke WW1 Field boot, with top flap and buckle closure, w lace-up vamp a year back, but Michael Williams said 'no way are we altering patterns'..go figure

To Andrew..I read the earlier posts/'news flash' about RM's almost saying yes to producing them. Count me in, definitively. Although I'll be honest I'm not one of the flushest of forum members ( boring, yes)..so it'll take a bit of time to save..but at 1K it's doable. Can't miss out on this one. Not bad really considering their equestrian top boot range is now at 1200. So bloody exciting! Any clearer timeframe as to production? Also I think re sourcing leather they should avoid using a Yearling leather; too soft and not very durable...even if lined. And for a 1/2 top boot you'd have problems with maintaining shape. Go for a Willow, preferably lined as well. But maybe its time RM's source some other leathers.
PS where did you get those brown 36 Pattern boots from? Beautiful...i can see them in an RM's special edition box already :)
the passion and enthusiasm I'm feeling here to get something done is inspiring...and I don't even know who you all are. Cheerio and thanks.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
..sorry, Beddgood Boots in Victoria

one last thing, i read an earlier comment about flat and lapped seams on vamp. Any repro that RM's does should be a flat seam, in my opinion. It looks better and is better for the wearer, as well as creating less stress/tension b/w vamp and shaft panels. A neater finish all round. The exposed edge of the flat seam might abrade and wear and may even lift (but i'm speculating here)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy