Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The bad boys are out for the winter again...

FORSALE105.jpg

FORSALE106.jpg

GreyBadger

New in Town
Great boots here! I first saw a real pair (along with an Irvin) in a hotel on Prague, where they had them on display. I would love to have an original pair - do they go as big as 11?

Current prime object is an Irvin though...

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
WPG Version

So, has anybody tried the WPG 1936 boots yet?

Alternately, anybody else making them out there?

Trog

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think everybody was a little underwhelmed when the first photos came out. They'd improved the vamp slightly compared to other repros but the shape seemed completely out of whack.

Andrew (Windsock) was looking into getting RM Williams to custom make some pairs, which although they were to be very expensive they would undoubtedly, knowing RM, do an amazing job. BTW Andrew, what happened with this?

Windsock

A-List Customer
Tim, I didn't get enough takers- possibly two from memory, and RM naturally wanted to see a pair first hand before they'd provide a real amount to produce them. I was still going to send a pair off but must have become too busy!

I'm sure they'd be almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Pretty soon i'll be selling a pair of original brown '36'ers which are basically new- size 6 or 8, I can't remember but they are amazing.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Windsock said:
Tim, I didn't get enough takers- possibly two from memory, and RM naturally wanted to see a pair first hand before they'd provide a real amount to produce them. I was still going to send a pair off but must have become too busy!

Pretty soon i'll be selling a pair of original brown '36'ers which are basically new- size 6 or 8, I can't remember but they are amazing.

I'd love to have first dibs if their 8s mate!

:eek:fftopic:

How's that MG of yours?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Coincidentally I have just had a friend who is a retired 'closer' for a local shoe company make me a pair of repro. 1936 pattern boots. He says it was a lot easier in practice than he expected (he has made walking boots but never a high leg boot) and can't understand why other manufacturers are asking so much for theirs!

As a prototype goes they are OK. The vamp is the wrong shape (we'll get that right next time) the buckles are different (same comment) and the lining (taken from a scrap 1950s 'Mk IV' sheepskin jacket) is too orange.

I've worn them a few times and they are warm and snowproof. Good fun!

Speedster

Practically Family
Windsock said:

If they are 8s i would also be interested...

Windsock

A-List Customer
Just checked the size, sorry for the excitement chaps but they are 6'ers. Probably a good thing as it'll ensure they have a longer life and probably the reason they are in such great nic.

I'm going to have a huge clearout soon and these were at the top of the list but they were also the candidates to send off to RMW as they were so new (the guy I bought them off ages ago actually mistook them for repros).

The brown species were typically worn by USAAF crew who passed through Australia, including Bomber Crews, ATC and Fighter Pilots.
Page606.jpg

RIMG0010.jpg

RIMG0016.jpg

RIMG0025.jpg

RIMG0028.jpg

sdrawkcab

New in Town
1936 pattern flying boots

This is my first post here! I'm in the market for a pair of 1936 pattern flying boots. who is the best to get them from? I have heard about what price glory, motor cowboy and replicators (uh the bloke in India I think?) but is there anyone else? cheers blokes.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
sdrawkcab said:
This is my first post here! I'm in the market for a pair of 1936 pattern flying boots. who is the best to get them from? I have heard about what price glory, motor cowboy and replicators (uh the bloke in India I think?) but is there anyone else? cheers blokes.

I have a very nice pair - made by AERO in Scotland.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
PADDY said:
As I am aware, Aero are no longer providing 1936 Flyin Boots.

That is correct. I was told that they have none in stock at all and there are no plans to make any more. I got lucky and found a (barely) used pair for £150 posted in a size 12, which fit my size 11 feet perfectly with RN socks on :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
As I am aware, Aero are no longer providing 1936 Flyin Boots.

What a shame - but then I am even more happy with mine.

Has anybody here actually seen, tried or bought the 1936 pattern boots from WPG???? Could be super with a review.

(Edit) They are not at WPGs site anymore - maybe they were given up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic