Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Windsock

A-List Customer
I'm not sure where this topic should go but since they are a type of Outerwear and they are sheepskin maybe this topic is ok here- feel free to shift it otherwise pls Paddy...

I have a few pairs of original 1936 Pattern flying boots. I love the style of the '36, and it looks cool in every period shot they appear in. I'll post them one by one but i'll start with the most interesting ones for me.

This pair is the rarely seen brown colour and are Australian made. Exactly the same pattern as the RAF types except for the labeling. This pair has the name of an AAF Lt written inside, but i've not yet had any success in searching for a "Lt P.G. Rogers". He was most likely with the 5th AF who were based here.

These boots are so strong yet flexible it's hard to imagine they are 65+years old. They would have been a prized posession for sure.

Spitfire, I took shots of the back and top just for you.

P2140465.jpg

P2140467.jpg

P2140471.jpg

P2140477.jpg

P2140474.jpg

P2140480.jpg

P2140481.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
For comparison here's my '80's vintage Avirex repros. I'm sure they are not as well made, and they have Vibram soles, but they look the part and seem to be wearing well.
Was the brown color a spec or just something that certain manufacturers made?
Cheers
Mark
DSCN2726.jpg

DSCN2728.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful boots gents.

But Andrew, that's a brilliant pair. For me '36ers are the flying boot and the brown ones the Holy Grail.

You're a lucky man having a pair in such brilliant condition :eusa_clap

kampkatz

Practically Family
Outstanding brown boots. Museums would love to get ahold of them. If your other pairs are anywhere near as well preserved as they are it is truly an awesome collection. Thanks for the photos.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great couple of pairs there Paddy. Both in great condition. I imagine the 36ers would be very handy dog walking on frosty mornings!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The brown Aussies...outstanding!!!

I just LOVE the 36ers in the brown!! you'd better lock them up or I'll have a raiding party going over ;)

pascalf

New in Town
aero raf boots

Spitfire how are those boots quality wise.What is the fit of them are they the stated size or does one need to go bigger or smaller?A little review maybe.I was thinking of buying me a pair but at 190£ i wanted to know as much about them as i can before putting down the cash.
thanks

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Pascalf, In my oppinion they are topquality made and topquality material.
And also very true to the original pattern.

They are precise in size - so just order like you would order any pair of boots/shoes - maybe add a little if you want to wear a thick pair of socks when flying.;)

They have - true to origin - rubber heels and leather soles. I have now added a thin fibersole, in order to keep the leathersoles dry and make them last longer.

You really should call or e-mail Aero - they are very serviceoriented and nice people to do business with.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Speedster said:
Those brown boots are outstanding. Wish Aero would also make them in brown.

I wish Aero would have them made with a long vamp like the originals...

This would make all the difference as an accurate reproduction and I would at least expect this for 190GBP.

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Talking flying boot repros, Jerry at WPG has been working on having a repro 36 available. They've been meant to come out over the last couple of years, but word from Jerry himself just recently, is that they are still in the pipeline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo