Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

fishmeok

Vendor
Maybe we should have a convention at one of those Ice Motels in Norway...lol

Actually, that would be a hell of a lot of fun, now that I think about it. If I win the lotto tonight I'll organize one.:)

I need to get one of those WPG sweaters though, been searching for something that looks the part at a bargain price (new baby, tight budget), but have not found one yet.

Just missed out last month on a pair of brown Cockpit '36'rs on e-bay. Did Aero or eastman ever make the brown versions?
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
I just won these- those awesome Aero flight boots, can't wait for them to arrive from the U.K. Unfortunately that means I will have to sell my Cockpit 36'rs to pay for them though. Price we pay for being rabid enthousiests (I'll put them on the classifieds later if anyone is interested). Those Tricker boots are awesome, BTW.

I'll have to force my wife to re-take the pic with the Aero boots on now...:)
Cheers
Mark

143a_1.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Nope- black. But Avirex (Cockpit) did make a brown version too, even harder to find than the Aero boots in my last post. I've only seen one pair on OFAS.
They also made those bizarro-world flight boots I had in the classifieds a little while back, basically cowboy boot lowers with shearling uppers.

Hey Fletch, I do have a nice pair of russet Wellingtons though, wore them all through Belgium- would that work?

Here's the tag from the Aero boots. I can't see that these are anything other than "fantasy" boots, or a private purchase type item that Aero has copied.
Cheers
Mark

1b1f_1.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
I just won these- those awesome Aero flight boots, can't wait for them to arrive from the U.K. Unfortunately that means I will have to sell my Cockpit 36'rs to pay for them though. Price we pay for being rabid enthousiests (I'll put them on the classifieds later if anyone is interested). Those Tricker boots are awesome, BTW.

I'll have to force my wife to re-take the pic with the Aero boots on now...:)
Cheers
Mark

143a_1.jpg

I was watching these too:D Congrats on winning these amazing boots!

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks- got lucky on this one for a change. I'm really hoping they fit, sometimes U.K. 10 fits me well, sometimes it doesn't....
I put my Avirex '36'rs up in the classifieds.
Cheers
Mark

RAAF

New in Town
Smithy said:
Beautiful boots gents.

But Andrew, that's a brilliant pair. For me '36ers are the flying boot and the brown ones the Holy Grail.

You're a lucky man having a pair in such brilliant condition :eusa_clap

Gents/Gals,
The brown 1936 Pattern boots were made by Bedggood Shoes, Ltd in Australia and were contract produced for the USAAF -- hence the color. If you note, there is no AM acceptance stamp on these as they were never intended for issue within the Commonwealth. USAAF issued contract-produced 1936 Pattern boots (brown), Irvin jackets, and Type C helmets until the US supply system in the Pacific was into place.

These are reasonably common in the US so the scale of issue must have been pretty substantial.

Bedggood also made black versions, which sport the AM acceptance stamps and/or Broad Arrow. for Commonwealth Air Forces. RAAF updated the 1936 deisgn throughout the war -- adding ankle straps like on the 1941 pattern RAF boots.

fishmeok

Vendor
CBI Flilght Boots

Being auctioned on OFAS (not by me), another good addition to the thread. Anyone have any info on how common these were? Has anyone made a repro?
Sorry about the small pics, they are taken from the auction.

Cheers
Mark

4b55_0.jpg

c32f_0.jpg

c6d3_0.jpg

eed1_0.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
You think brown 36'ers are rare?

You think brown 36 patterns are rare? Then check THESE out! One of the early patterns of the "escape" flying boots, made entirely of brown leather. Later on of course the shoe would be black, and the upper was sheepskin lined suede. Photo credit to Paul O over at the RAF Re-enactors Forum.

P1010293.jpg

P1010294.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
RAAF said:
Gents/Gals,
The brown 1936 Pattern boots were made by Bedggood Shoes, Ltd in Australia and were contract produced for the USAAF -- hence the color. If you note, there is no AM acceptance stamp on these as they were never intended for issue within the Commonwealth. USAAF issued contract-produced 1936 Pattern boots (brown), Irvin jackets, and Type C helmets until the US supply system in the Pacific was into place.

These are reasonably common in the US so the scale of issue must have been pretty substantial.

Bedggood also made black versions, which sport the AM acceptance stamps and/or Broad Arrow. for Commonwealth Air Forces. RAAF updated the 1936 deisgn throughout the war -- adding ankle straps like on the 1941 pattern RAF boots.

Is that you Chris K or someone quoting? I'll assume it's you:)

I've read about the abovementioned kit handed down from Vets who were in the SWPA, but just out of interest, have you seen any documentation about these contracts and in particular the Irvin, or is this just through handling them?

Aside from some Kiwi made Irvin trousers and a Tel Aviv made Irvin suit the rest appear to have been made in the UK. Also, if you have any shots of an Irvin in use in the Pacific or shots of the Irvin you have i'd love to see it. If you do would you mind please posting it in the Original Irvin thread?

Would be much appreciated.

(By the way, the Air Ministry was only the UK not Australia, but the broad arrow does appear on one boot of my black pair).

Windsock

A-List Customer
NEWS FLASH

I'm currently having discussions with RM Williams about the possibility of them making custom order 1936 pattern boots- and that means you could request the colour- so Black for the Commonwealth and Brown for the USAAF!!

At this point they have confirmed that it may be possible, but they would cost....way more than any other offerings available. They would regard these as custom ordered top boots.

If anyone is seriously interested in possibly ordering a pair (not necessarily immediately) pm me and I will let them know what kind of interest there may be for an order. (The next step would involve me sending them a pair of originals to assess the idea so it would cost me!)

If realized i'm sure these would be "the" definitive '36 repro, and I expect would be hard to pick from NOS originals.

PM me if you are keen!

Windsock

A-List Customer
Brown and black Bedggood '36ers worn by the AAF.

These are a couple of shots from a series all taken at Dobodura, New Guinea 1943. In every shot on the grnd they fold down the tops obviously to beat the heat. My pair have a fold crease in the same location.

Page588.jpg

Page589.jpg

Page630.jpg

Page642.jpg

Page643.jpg

RAAF

New in Town
Windsock said:
Is that you Chris K or someone quoting? I'll assume it's you:)

Alas, not Chris K. I'm just quoting what I know to be accurate. I have a few photos of USAAF crews wearing Irvins,Type Cs, and 36 boots in 1942 in SWP.

Windsock

A-List Customer
RAAF said:
I have a few photos of USAAF crews wearing Irvins....in 1942 in SWP.

This is getting off topic but pls stop teasing and please post these shots in the Irvin thread- i'd be very interested to see shots like this.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Aeros after 4 months everyday use. As its unlikely that we'll be getting any more snow, I've washed them down and they'll be getting a nice coat of pecards before they go away for the next 6 months.

b-2003.jpg

b-2002-1.jpg

Hawkmoon

New in Town
RM Williams Repro Patt 36'ers

Hi Windsock et al,

Just tried to PM you but haven't been successful.

I'd be interested in a pair of RM Williams Repros. How many interested parties does that make so far?

I imagine that they would be quite expensive, but figure that it would be worthwhile if they were to be the most exact copies made, so far.

Having said that, has anyone purchased the boots from WPG yet?

Will

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hawkmoon said:
Hi Windsock et al,

Just tried to PM you but haven't been successful.

I'd be interested in a pair of RM Williams Repros. How many interested parties does that make so far?

I imagine that they would be quite expensive, but figure that it would be worthwhile if they were to be the most exact copies made, so far.

Having said that, has anyone purchased the boots from WPG yet?

Will
Hiya HM, sorry I didn't receive any messages.

There were 2 others interested and you're the third. They need to see an original pair to give me a firm price, and based on the images I sent they suggested a wild guess of anywhere up to $1K AU. I imagine this is beyond everyone's means so for now it's all on hold. The final product would most likely be a wonderful pair of boots.

If you were still serious i'm happy to send them a pair to nail the real cost but you'd have to chip in on the postage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred