Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Windsock said:
Hiya HM, sorry I didn't receive any messages.

There were 2 others interested and you're the third. They need to see an original pair to give me a firm price, and based on the images I sent they suggested a wild guess of anywhere up to $1K AU. I imagine this is beyond everyone's means so for now it's all on hold. The final product would most likely be a wonderful pair of boots.

If you were still serious i'm happy to send them a pair to nail the real cost but you'd have to chip in on the postage.

Hi all,

I think I am too new to PM, and just caught the RM reference in the thread. I was introduced to RM's by my lovely wife. I think highly of the quality, and own several pair for work and play.

I would be interested in the possibility of the RM repro on these boots as well. I think the quality would be outstanding! If anything ever gets going be sure to post..

Dave

Cooper1922

New in Town
Spitfire said:
OK - I just ordered a pair of Aero 1936 pattern Flying Boots.:) :) :)
Can't wait now...

Slightly :eek:fftopic: If anybody is looking for a pair in size 11 - I have them. They are cheap - and since I use size 13 - almost never used[huh]
(See picture in Classified)

Im looking for a size 11 :D, if you still have them, also looking for size 11 despatch riders boots if anyone knows where to purchase a pair, as i am in desperate need of them, as no'where seems to do them only Sanjay, i dont whish to get them made if there no quite right, anyone got any help for me please. Would be greatly appreciated.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sorry mate - they are long gone.
You might check out WPGs flying boots. They have been discussed, but up till now nobody seems to have bought any. You might be the first one on the blok.:)

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
1936 Pattern RAF Flying Boots

Just pick up a pair of these boots , size 10 1/2, off Ebay
They are in brand new condition. Price 80.00 us
They are produced by "The Cockpit" which I think is part of Avirex They appear to be fairly true to originals except for the soles and heals which are heavily treaded.
I guess I could get them resoled but will see what they look like once they arrive.
I was very surprised that there were not more bids as these boots are usually around $250 brand new
It may also be because of the sellers description not being very good

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Just pick up a pair of these boots , size 10 1/2. They are the version sold by "The Cockpit' which I think is part of Avirex(?)
They are in brand new condition. Price 80.00 us
They appear to be fairly true to originals except for the soles and heals which are heavily treaded.
I guess I could get them resoled but will see what they look like once they arrive.

Any comments about the "Cockpit Boots " would be appreciated/
Good or badd comment please as I would like to know everyones opinion.

Thanks

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I used to own a pair of the Cockpit boots - sold them because they had allways been too small.

On the plus side: The exterior/cut of the Cockpit boots are closer to the original than Aeros (which I have right now)

On the minus side: Those rubber soles are :eek: :eek: :eek:

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
I used to own a pair of the Cockpit boots - sold them because they had allways been too small.

On the plus side: The exterior/cut of the Cockpit boots are closer to the original than Aeros (which I have right now)

On the minus side: Those rubber soles are :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks Spitfire

As I suspected and you confirm , they fit small. The seller got them in his size and they were too tight.
They are a size 10.5 and I am a 9. Hopefully, they will only be slightly big for me considering the tight fit issue.

Fleet

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
My
Cockpit 36'ers just arrived and a I am very happy with them.
They fit perfect and IMHO are the most accurate of the repros
out there except for the treaded soles which I will replace
Once that is done I will post pics

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
pascalf said:
Where did you get them"fleet16B". Do you have a link to their website.
thanks.

Found them on Ebay.
They were not really well advertised and only two others bid against me
Final price was $80us.
The leather is quite thick and they are a sturdy construction.
They are a size 10.5 and I take a size 9 usually but they fit me perfect.
If you buy from the Cockpit, you may want to order a size or more larger than your usual.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
As stated above, I bought a set of 1936 pattern boots as made by the cockpit.
They are great boots except that the Cockpit chose to put modern treaded ugly soles on them.
I was able to find a old german kobbler that was able to resole them in leather for me. I think they are now 100% better.
Opinions please

P1000983.jpg

P1000982.jpg

P1000981.jpg

P1000980.jpg

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
BRAVO!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Good job by the kobbler too.
Perfect boots - and as close to the originals as possible.

Thanks Soren:)

I am really happy with them and they ended up fitting just fine.
Can't wait for some cold weather to try them.
Ordered my 1940 ELC Irvin a week ago. According to ELC it will take about 4 weeks. I am not holding my breath but am secretly hoping:D

Cam

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
They have - true to origin - rubber heels and leather soles. I have now added a thin fibersole, in order to keep the leathersoles dry and make them last longer.

Soren

Did you obtain the fibersoles and install them yourselves or have this work done for you.?
I am thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Cam

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
fleet16b said:
Soren

Did you obtain the fibersoles and install them yourselves or have this work done for you.?
I am thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Cam

Hi Cam
Any good kobbler can do that - Piece of cake. And it wont ruin you - or the boots:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran