Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I do now smoke again and I truly enjoy it.
Some days I smoke 1 cigarette, others I do maybe 4, but I never go above that and sometimes I leave it all together for months.

What I smoke:
Philip Morris Multifulter, the red ones; Unfortunately only available in Switzerland (and I believe the USA)

Dunhill International.

And very rarely: Sobrani

Generally I smoke with a cigarette holder and keep my cigarettes in a case.

I do however like the odd cigar as well but that is a very very private matter :D

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Steveb1 said:
Lucky Strike for me. I have two shops that I go to that always has them. In a pinch I'll smoke Pall Mall. I don't both with the cigarette case because I would constantly be filling it. My lighter is a Prometheus, sort of a slim, chrome, art deco design.
I also have two Ronson Mayfair Table lighters that I'm restoring. 1930's Vintage I think.

I'm thinking about ordering some Lucky Strikes (such a classic cigarette) sometime just to try something other than Chesterfield for a while.

I should get some table lighters--I've wanted one ever since I saw The Maltese Falcon. Normally I just carry some strike anywhere matches around; I've got the trick of lighting them with my thumb down so I can be cool like Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity or John Garfield in The Postman Always Rings Twice. lol Took a lot of practice, though, including failed attempts that wrecked my thumbnail or burnt my fingers.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I was watching The Maltese Falcon last night and was once again facinated by the 'push strikers' (for lack of a better term) that they used with the wooden matches throughout the movie. Does anyone know what those are and are they still available somewhere?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think they are called match strikers in the UK, i have seen them being advertised on smoking paraphenalia sites and seen the odd tabletop one here and there in junk and antique shops. They seem to have been a necessary item in pubs and inns as well as households from the turn of the century onwards.

I use swan vesta matches out of habit and because they are vintage of course! Still can't light one on the bottom of my boot though!

I do have a swan vesta match case, with a striker on the bottom, which is quite a nice little accessory, although i don't use it as it was my grandpa's and far too precious. They seem to crop up regularly on evilbay.

Geesie

Practically Family
Miss sofia said:
I smoke Dunhill or Marlboro, or Luckies if i see them in a shop, which is not very often. I have a couple of nice cases, a deco one which looks like a purse and which pops out a cigarette when you open it and a tiki style pinup girl one for party time! I always use a cigarette holder as i think it looks more ladylike. Although i'm not a heavy smoker, i like all the smoking accoutrements and the cermony of smoking a decent ciggie. Oh and i always use matches, swan vestas, as i have lost a couple of decent lighters in bars and at parties and hate those cheapie disposable things with a vengeance.

Gilboa said:
I do now smoke again and I truly enjoy it.
Some days I smoke 1 cigarette, others I do maybe 4, but I never go above that and sometimes I leave it all together for months.

What I smoke:
Philip Morris Multifulter, the red ones; Unfortunately only available in Switzerland (and I believe the USA)

Dunhill International.

And very rarely: Sobrani

Generally I smoke with a cigarette holder and keep my cigarettes in a case.

I do however like the odd cigar as well but that is a very very private matter :D

How would you describe the Dunhills and Sobranis, especially as compared to other cigarettes?
I smoke cigarettes so rarely that I can afford to buy expensive cigarettes, just wondering what they're like before I go out and start hunting.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
The Sobranie i tend to buy, as they a smooth smoke, no harshness like other brands, made from good quality tobacco, russian in origin i believe, (but don't quote me on that). But as a lady i suppose there is the question of aesthetics, i like the Black Russian, (Black with a gold foil), or the Cocktail, (five different pastel colours with a gold foil). Great fun for parties or just generally being a bit soignee!! I know they do other flavours, menthols, lighter ones etc too.

Dunhill i have always smoked as the cigarette of choice aside from Luckies, again they just seem to have a nice smooth taste, that you would expect from a quality brand using finely blended tobaccos like Dunhill.

If your going to smoke you might as well go for gold i say. :)

cotillion

New in Town
I am a pipe elitist.
I buy pipe tobacco from my local tobacco shop and smoke out of an old school wood pipe. If I do not have access to pipe tobacco I will not smoke as that is the only type of smoke I can enjoy now.

Miss sofia said:
The Sobranie i tend to buy, as they a smooth smoke, no harshness like other brands, made from good quality tobacco, russian in origin i believe, (but don't quote me on that). But as a lady i suppose there is the question of aesthetics, i like the Black Russian, (Black with a gold foil), or the Cocktail, (five different pastel colours with a gold foil). Great fun for parties or just generally being a bit soignee!! I know they do other flavours, menthols, lighter ones etc too.

Ooh! Great choice! I only came across that brand once. I was told they were British but Russian sounds more correct since they are extremely rare in the USA and you would probably know if they were British ;). Only ever saw them once but they were the smoothest cigarette tobacco I have ever tasted.

I give you credit. You definitely have a fine palette.

DesertDan

One Too Many
What is your favorite pipe tobacco?

I have smoked pipes for a very long time and have many. My favorite is a cavendish based blend called Mountain Mist or Wilshire depending on where it is purchased. English blends are quite nice too.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
How would you describe the Dunhills and Sobranis, especially as compared to other cigarettes?
I smoke cigarettes so rarely that I can afford to buy expensive cigarettes, just wondering what they're like before I go out and start hunting.

As Miss Sofia said:

Dunhill International have a very pleasant flavour and the tobacco is better quality and therefore smooth (no 'sting' when inhaling). Because of the better tobacco quality, they burn slower, so in the end you do actually get more for the money.

Sobrani are tasty, although I think they don't quite justify the high price. But by all means, give it a try, although they can be difficult to find.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
cotillion said:
I am a pipe elitist.
I buy pipe tobacco from my local tobacco shop and smoke out of an old school wood pipe. If I do not have access to pipe tobacco I will not smoke as that is the only type of smoke I can enjoy now.

Ooh! Great choice! I only came across that brand once. I was told they were British but Russian sounds more correct since they are extremely rare in the USA and you would probably know if they were British ;). Only ever saw them once but they were the smoothest cigarette tobacco I have ever tasted.

I give you credit. You definitely have a fine palette.

Thanks sir!

Actually and again don't quote me on this, i think the blend of tobacco used in the sobranie is Russian, they are actually, or were, made in a premises in London in Old Bond street, where you can still buy them and i do if i am up in the smoke. Although i'm lucky as we have a local tobacconist who ocassionally stocks them at Christmas. Personally like Gilboa i have to say the Dunhill cigarette is marginally the better smoke, although not as pretty as the Sobranie! Actually i'm going to London soon so i will have to pop in their and sample some more of their wares in the interests of research, i vaguely remember buying some Turkish cigarettes which were rather handsome.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
They are an excellent smoke too, in fact aside from the Sobranie and Dunhill, my favourites, although difficult to get here, i always stock up when abroad, as i too love the 'toasty' flavour. Good way of describing the smell/flavour btw!:)

cotillion

New in Town
DesertDan said:
What is your favorite pipe tobacco?

I have smoked pipes for a very long time and have many. My favorite is a cavendish based blend called Mountain Mist or Wilshire depending on where it is purchased. English blends are quite nice too.

At the moment my favorite is a Danish blend. Very light and tasty. The tobacco shop by my house is a bit limited on pipe tobacco (they focus mainly on cigars) so I don't think they have that blend you mention. At least I dont recall seeing it. They do have cavendish based blend though and a few house special blends that are very good.

I'll have to try going to a shop with more extensive tobacco sometime but this one is walking distance so I always stop there.

Deodand

New in Town
Hey, anyone know where I can find Honey Toasted tobacco? You know the cig pack with the bee on it?
Honey_toasted_tobacco_ks_20_h_usa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran