Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

How common is it for cigarette advertising in the US these days? It's pretty much non-existent in the UK, but in the latest edition of The Atlantic they have a two page cardboard insert for American Spirit tobacco products. It's the first time in 7 years of reading that i've seen such advertising in The Atlantic, other than the standard BS Phillip Morris "we care about our customer's health" pages.

bk

WH1

Practically Family
Only print advertising in certain magazines based upon demigraphics. I still remember the 70's television commercials during sporting events paricularly the Dutch Master and White Owl cigar ads.

DerMann

Practically Family
I started smoking a multitude of things when I entered college this year.

First thing I tried was a house brand cigar from a local tobacconist, I enjoyed it, but it was bordering on the cheap side. Had a few at my school's cigar and pipe club (Romeo y Julieta and I think a Montecristo). Both made me sick from the nicotine, so I've moved away from cigars.

Halfway through my senior year of highschool I decided I wanted to take up pipe smoking, but didn't have the means to (my family is entirely against smoking of any type). Picked up a corncob and a pouch of Captain Black Royal. Enjoyed it, and decided to invest in a Peterson System pipe. The tobacconist has an English blend called Senatorial which I absolutely adore. Now I have three briars and a full sized calabash. While still trying tobaccos, cavendish is a definite favourite, as well as the aforementioned Senatorial.

Mind you I smoked all of this while still 17 (I turned 18 on Nov. 7th of this year). Never got ID'd or anything whilst buying the stuff. On my 18th birthday I thought if I bought cigarettes I'd be more likely to get ID'd. Bought two packs of Lucky Strikes and still did not get ID'd.

I picked up a case and holder at a local antique shop for not a lot of money. One thing I try and be careful about is smoking cigarettes. Most of the time I end up giving away most of the pack to friends in repayment for car use and other things. Luckies are still my favourite after trying a few different brands. Even American Spirits or Davidoffs don't really match up to the flavour that Luckies provide. I'll agree and say that Marb Reds smell and taste fairly bad. Menthols are offensive to the palate (like smoking a piece of mint gum). It's always funny to watch a friend get confused when I offer them a Lucky, and even more so when they are "professional" smokers and cough up a storm after taking a drag from one.

Disposable lighters are not only eyesores, but they end up hurting my thumb. For that reason, I invested in a "vintage" brass Zippo and IMCO Super Triplex.

Pipes are still by far my favourite form of tobacco, and one which I receive the most enjoyment from.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
dermann, i remember asking a security guard at my old job for a cigarette and he gave me a menthol...i had never smoked one and i soon realized why...i took one drag and almost keeled over lollol...i agree...truly awful stuff...

Sepe

New in Town
I sometimes do smoke menthols when my throat is really sore. L&M menthols (not light) are smokable in my opinion, but when it comes to the really chilly stuff... No thanks. They smell bad too. Usually I smoke Red Pall Malls, or sometimes Luckies (they do taste great but they're pretty pricey too).

DerMann, I agree that disposable lighters are terrible. You can ease the thumb-breaking by removing the child resistance shield on the spark wheel, though. Just remember to keep it away from children, then (which, I think, should be done anyways). I use either a Zippo copy (bought it for 2€, is pretty much identical to a real one, even accepts the same flints, cords etc) or ol' good matches to light my cigarette. Looks better and the gasoline lighters are superior to butane anyways, especially when it's windy.

Baron Kurtz said:
It's the first time in 7 years of reading that i've seen such advertising in The Atlantic, other than the standard BS Phillip Morris "we care about our customer's health" pages.

bk

Hey, the company pays good dividends and if people want to smoke them and they are legal then profit is there to be made. ;) :p
The ban on cigareete advertising saves the companies tons of money in vying for brand identity through TV advertising as well. Great bottom line helpers all. I wish they would ban it all---print etc. That would save them money too. :D

DerMann

Practically Family
Well Lucky Strike hasn't advertised in a long time, and they're still around $5 a pack. Even though RJ Reynolds is saving money on advertising, I doubt they're passing the savings onto us.

Most cigarette advertisements are done by word of mouth. Like I was told on another forum that Lucky Strikes were the uncontested king of cigarettes, and many people confirmed this. As a result, it was the first brand I tried.

DerMann said:
Well Lucky Strike hasn't advertised in a long time, and they're still around $5 a pack. Even though RJ Reynolds is saving money on advertising, I doubt they're passing the savings onto us.

Most cigarette advertisements are done by word of mouth. Like I was told on another forum that Lucky Strikes were the uncontested king of cigarettes, and many people confirmed this. As a result, it was the first brand I tried.

$5 eh? Excellent. Good for the bottom line. Keep smoking. :D
Lucky Strikes without the filters? ;)

I still have a Pack Hidden in my dresser from when I was underage :) I usually smoke Marlboro Red's or Basic Menthols, Lucky's are very hard to find here, unless I go about 20 miles or so.

DerMann said:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
'Light' or 'mild' cigarettes banned

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEjFYiD2CoedIv_2zTjchS7Z41KAD98OL64O0

The bill is H.R. 1256.

The Senate vote gives FDA power over tobacco marketing.
The bill would ban the use of expressions such as "light" and "mild" that might mislead people into thinking there was less health risk in the product.

Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death in the country, with some 400,000 a year dying from tobacco-related diseases.

Dont smoke, Rover.

MrBern said:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEjFYiD2CoedIv_2zTjchS7Z41KAD98OL64O0

The bill is H.R. 1256.

The Senate vote gives FDA power over tobacco marketing.

Dont smoke, Rover.

Seriously now. Who in their right mind thinks light or mild cigarettes are any better for you than any other kind? :rolleyes:
On top of that, who doesn't know that smoking like a chimney can kill you? Geez, check out A Counterblaste to Tobacco written by King James the VI of Scotland---IN 1604!:
"A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse."

We have known just about since its inception that smoking tobacco ain't exactly good for you. :rolleyes: Now the FDA in its finite knowledge is going to regulate it. :rolleyes:

tuppence

Practically Family
Everything is banned in Australia

Tobacco advertising has been illegal in Australia for years. The nicotine content has been removed as well as the names changed from mild,light etc to original, choice etc. We also have nasty pictures of a graphic medical nature on the packets And a packet of the cheapest nasty smokes cost around $14 for 30.:mad:

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I stick with the usuals, I suppose.
Pall Malls, Lucky Strikes, Camels, Marlboro Reds.
I'm also a fan of the Kamel Reds...
I don't branch out too much, and have yet to find a nice case I like.
I'm also on a mad hunt for a good vintage cigarette holder... I keep only finding the jade ones. [huh]

DesertDan

One Too Many
I was a pipe smoker for many years but transitioned to cigars over 10 years ago and now only smoke pipes occasionally.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I started off smoking cigars myself. As soon as I turned eighteen I began buying them. I picked up the cigarette habit in the military, and despite what non-smokers might think, cigars are no where near as addictive as cigarettes. Dunno about pipes though, I make take them up down the road.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I smoke Dunhill or Marlboro, or Luckies if i see them in a shop, which is not very often. I have a couple of nice cases, a deco one which looks like a purse and which pops out a cigarette when you open it and a tiki style pinup girl one for party time! I always use a cigarette holder as i think it looks more ladylike. Although i'm not a heavy smoker, i like all the smoking accoutrements and the cermony of smoking a decent ciggie. Oh and i always use matches, swan vestas, as i have lost a couple of decent lighters in bars and at parties and hate those cheapie disposable things with a vengeance.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Incorporeal13 said:
I don't branch out too much, and have yet to find a nice case I like.
I'm also on a mad hunt for a good vintage cigarette holder... I keep only finding the jade ones. [huh]

I found that if I add a word like "deco" or dates, like 30s or 20s to the search in Ebay, it helps keep the riff raff out, There are always many really nice old holders, but you have to wade through pages of garbage to see them. And you have to be prepared to pay, as there are a lot of collectors. I have spent up to $125 on a holder in my time!

Also putting -card in the description helps as no one seems to understand the difference between a case and a holder, that way all the tacky new cases are eliminated.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Lucky Strike for me. I have two shops that I go to that always has them. In a pinch I'll smoke Pall Mall. I don't both with the cigarette case because I would constantly be filling it. My lighter is a Prometheus, sort of a slim, chrome, art deco design.
I also have two Ronson Mayfair Table lighters that I'm restoring. 1930's Vintage I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran