Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
A friend of mine was smoking a cigar the other day that smelled like chocolate, it was a very pleasant surprize. I guess I am just used t the stinky ones... and I am a smoker. ;)

Hey, GF! I DO try not to call cigarette smokers stinky. So, please, a little respect amongst smokers..........;) :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Hey that's ok, I AM a cigarette smoker, and I say that's stinky too.

I get awful cold in the winter, and awful hot in the summer, airing the house out.

My grandfather smokes a pipe with the WORST cherry tobacco in it. When he visits, or I him, I can smell it for about 3 months afterwards. He complains about the same thing with my cigarettes.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Jack Traeger said:
Ladies and Gents,

I recently switched back to pipes after years of smoking cigars. The
one blend I find timeless is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It can be purchased
in bulk or tins. If any of my fellow pipe smokers know where tins of
Troost Slices can be purchased, please post. It was one of my
favorites about 30 years ago, it is still manufactured, but not much of
it is around.

Regards,

Jack

Jack, I posted this earlier in this thread but Dunhill's Royal Yacht is beautiful as well. Buy a tin when you next see it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Jack Traeger said:
Ladies and Gents,

I recently switched back to pipes after years of smoking cigars. The
one blend I find timeless is Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It can be purchased
in bulk or tins. If any of my fellow pipe smokers know where tins of
Troost Slices can be purchased, please post. It was one of my
favorites about 30 years ago, it is still manufactured, but not much of
it is around.

Regards,

Jack

Unfortunately, Troost Slices is no longer available in the USA. It is still sold in the Nederlands and here is the address of an online tobacco retailer in that country that I believe carries it. http://www.cigarwebshop.com/

Hope this helps you.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Elaina said:
Hey that's ok, I AM a cigarette smoker, and I say that's stinky too.

I get awful cold in the winter, and awful hot in the summer, airing the house out.

My grandfather smokes a pipe with the WORST cherry tobacco in it. When he visits, or I him, I can smell it for about 3 months afterwards. He complains about the same thing with my cigarettes.
My friend and her neighborhood association do an Easter parade every year this yr. the invites are Bunnies Playing Poker, that I photographed for her on Friday, she called yesterday to say her house still reeks! Bunnies playing poker and smoking cigars... I'll have to post it when I've finished. :)

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
My friend and her neighborhood association do an Easter parade every year this yr. the invites are Bunnies Playing Poker, that I photographed for her on Friday, she called yesterday to say her house still reeks! Bunnies playing poker and smoking cigars... I'll have to post it when I've finished. :)

THAT I would like to see. We need to get YOU smoking cigars......?

Travis

Suspended
Girl Friday said:
Actually, I have one my friend gave me it is Kahlua flavored (or should that be scented???). The only thing is, as a smoker, it is hard to not inhale.

I've smoked cigarettes for so long, I used to have trouble not inhaling cigars but it just takes practice, practice, practice. You'll get used to it.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
Actually, I have one my friend gave me it is Kahlua flavored (or should that be scented???). The only thing is, as a smoker, it is hard to not inhale.

Flavored is correct. I would imagine you would have to concentrate some not to inhale. I don't think about it, come to think about it.......;)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Rover said:
When you smoke unfiltered cigarettes, doesn't the tobacco get into your mouth?

Yes, little bits of it. I usually use a holder. When not using a holder, I have to make sure my lips aren't wet or little bits of paper will stick to them.

I finally saw "Sunset Blvd" last night. Norma Desmond's holder/clip thingie seems like a great idea for keeping the ciggy smell off the fingers.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Am I the only person here who smokes roll-up Bali Shag or Drum? I love the stuff, but I take a week or more off sometimes. I smoke perhaps three a day otherwise. I did stop for a year but it crept back. I tried Bugler rollups at someone's advice once. Absolutely disgusting. The disadvantage to carrying around a pouch of tobacco is that I can't use my silver cigarette case. The advantage is that they always taste best freshly rolled. The idea of stopping permanently has bounced around in my head, but since I stopped drinking alcohol I figure I need at least one vice.

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Embrace the wet. Bogart it. If you get bits on your tongue, pick 'em off.

Say WHAT? I just saw this reply hit my inbox and had to check in to see what was going on.

"Bogarting" holds an entirely different meaning to those of us of a certain age or older, and it has nothing to do with how you hold a cigarette in your mouth! lol

There's a trick involved with how you hold your lips when smoking filterless. You kind of roll the wet part of your lips inward slightly toward your teeth (a la Bogart) when placing the cigarette between them to inhale or hold. Hold the cigarette between your thumb and index fingers in sort of an overhand cupped position (the manly way) or clipped between the tips of the index and second fingers (the elegant way) as you take a drag.

There's always the odd bit of tobacco that will get in your mouth. As Scotrace said, simply pick it out and dispose of it discretely as you would a tiny piece of gristle while eating. I've seen actors do this several times when smoking on screen. One way to cut down on the amount you get in your mouth is to lightly tap the end opposite the one you'll place in your mouth against the surface of something several times to pack down the tobacco and create a space between the end of the paper and surface of the tobacco. Cigarette cases are excellent for this purpose. When you place the end of the cigarette between your lips, use them to compress the end slightly to help form a partial barrier. I think it also helps smooth the smoke as the compressed paper filters it slightly.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Why not just do away with the accursed foul smelling weed entirely!? Y'all can live without it, literally. I think it's prohibition time again. :D

Back off, man. I'm not going to let you get between me and my three or four per day habit!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to put on my coat, step out on the front porch, and light up number two. :p

Cheers!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Back off, man. I'm not going to let you get between me and my three or four per day habit!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to put on my coat, step out on the front porch, and light up number two. :p

Cheers!

Come now. If you are at that level of smoking, surely you can take the next step and do away with the evil weed entirely? I did. That was my strategy for quitting, to ween myself gradually to the point that cigarettes made me sick and dizzy whenever I smoked one at about 4 hour intervals. :(
It was still a bit difficult for a month or so after quitting, but I have been smoke free for 10 years now. :)

Baggers

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Come now. If you are at that level of smoking, surely you can take the next step and do away with the evil weed entirely? I did. That was my strategy for quitting, to ween myself gradually to the point that cigarettes made me sick and dizzy whenever I smoked one at about 4 hour intervals. :(
It was still a bit difficult for a month or so after quitting, but I have been smoke free for 10 years now. :)

Gimme a break, fer cryin' out loud. Even my doctor just shrugged his shoulders and said that it wasn't enough to worry about. Besides, I enjoy it. Just for that, I'm going out and smoking number four before turning in for the night. :D

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters