Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Hurrell 40s style photography

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Atterbury Dodd said:
Whoa! You don't need any extras do you? that looks great.

Had to ask because it is puzzling me, what kind of gun is that in the picture?

I needed extras about 8 months ago. At this point I have one scene left to shot, and I'm having a hard time finding a location for it.

The pistol is a 9mm Tokarev tt33. The film takes place in 1953 and he is a communist spy.

Doug

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I like the Tokarevs. I couldn't figure out what it was from that distance--they are not as easy to recognize as say, the Colt 1911. Will the movie be available for general purchase? I find it sparks my imagination.

What kind of location are you looking for for the last scene? In my area of the state I live in we have all kinds of old towns and things like that... One lane bridges, railroad tunnels, etc.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Atterbury Dodd said:
I like the Tokarevs. I couldn't figure out what it was from that distance--they are not as easy to recognize as say, the Colt 1911. Will the movie be available for general purchase? I find it sparks my imagination.

What kind of location are you looking for for the last scene? In my area of the state I live in we have all kinds of old towns and things like that... One lane bridges, railroad tunnels, etc.

Yeah I liked the look of the Tokarev but it is easy to confuse for a 1911 or a Browning hi power, which the TT-33 is supposedly a copy of, at least mechanically.

I'm hoping it will be eventually. I'm going to try and get it into some film festivals and see if I can get a distributor. Not sure how well it will go over however because I've shot it like a movie made in 1953. It is not wide screen and its black and white. I didn't do anything they couldn't have done in 53 so no Steadicam shots or anything like that. (other than being shot digitally) I'm even adding bits of dust and a scratch now and then and reel change marks to make it feel as though you are watching an old movie. Here is a trailer that I've put together for it...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xjGL-rOcoQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xjGL-rOcoQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I'm looking for a somewhat rundown motel lobby. I've been looking all around the Phoenix area, but everyone I asks wants me to buy out the whole motel, just to be able to shoot there for about 2 hours. Honestly I'm paying for the whole movie out of my pocket, so I can't afford that kind of thing.

Doug

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hmm... we do have an old Inn near us but it's probably to classy for what you're thinking of. Besides that, I just realized Arizona is pretty far away from the state of Arkansas:rolleyes: Well I wish you good luck! I bet you will be able to find something eventually.

Great trailer. If Hollywood can make a movie like the Good German in black and white I don't see why yours can't be successful!

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Atterbury Dodd said:
Hmm... we do have an old Inn near us but it's probably to classy for what you're thinking of. Besides that, I just realized Arizona is pretty far away from the state of Arkansas:rolleyes: Well I wish you good luck! I bet you will be able to find something eventually.

Great trailer. If Hollywood can make a movie like the Good German in black and white I don't see why yours can't be successful!

Well thank you. I actually wasn't that thrilled with The Good German. Didn't really look like classic Hollywood cinematography to me. An interesting film however.

I'm sure I'll come up with something. I've even considered dressing my living room to look like a lobby, but we'll see.

Doug

swinggal

One Too Many
I know these aren't movies but I remember when I first saw Harry Enfield in the 90s and how damn funny they were and. They captured almost perfectly old Australian and British newsreels/public info ads of the 30s.

I still laugh my head off now when I watch these guys. So well done :) The voices, the, grainy film, the language, the sound and the sexist un-pc content....heheh.

Women - Keep your virtue!!
watch

Women - Know your limits!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&feature=fvw

Life in 1990
watch

The Conjugal Rights Guide
watch

Atomic Age

Practically Family
swinggal said:
I know these aren't movies but I remember when I first saw Harry Enfield in the 90s and how damn funny they were and. They captured almost perfectly old Australian and British newsreels/public info ads of the 30s.

I still laugh my head off now when I watch these guys. So well done :) The voices, the, grainy film, the language, the sound and the sexist un-pc content....heheh.

Women - Keep your virtue!!
watch

Women - Know your limits!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&feature=fvw

Life in 1990
watch

The Conjugal Rights Guide
watch

Great clips. I actually did a couple of shorts for a local church, that look like 1950's educational films. They were fun to do. Fortunately the folks at the church had a good sense of humor! :)

Doug

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Yes, those clips would have had me fooled if you had not said they were from the 90's. Much more realistic than some of those fake "educational" films I have seen on Youtube.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Atomic Age said:
I'm looking for a somewhat rundown motel lobby. I've been looking all around the Phoenix area, but everyone I asks wants me to buy out the whole motel, just to be able to shoot there for about 2 hours. Honestly I'm paying for the whole movie out of my pocket, so I can't afford that kind of thing.

Doug

You need to come to Skid Row, downtown L.A. Most likely, if you offer to slip half a C note to the manager, most any of the old hotel lobbies will be eagerly made available to you.:)

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
You need to come to Skid Row, downtown L.A. Most likely, if you offer to slip half a C note to the manager, most any of the old hotel lobbies will be eagerly made available to you.:)

I actually found a "residential" hotel (IE flop house) in downtown Phoenix that was built in 1919 that would be perfect, however they had a bad experience with a movie shooting there before, and they want an outrageous amount of money to shoot there.

I'm still looking a little closer to home.

Doug

VisforVictory

New in Town
Sarah and I broke out one of my Speed Graphics and burned through a few sheets of 4X5 film the other weekend, emulating commercial portraits of the common, non-celeb person.

FBmarcsarahlap.jpg

FBmarcspeedgraph.jpg

FBmarcsuitport.jpg

FBsarahhips.jpg

FBsarahredport.jpg

Atomic Age

Practically Family
VisforVictory said:
Sarah and I broke out one of my Speed Graphics and burned through a few sheets of 4X5 film the other weekend, emulating commercial portraits of the common, non-celeb person.

FBmarcsarahlap.jpg

FBmarcspeedgraph.jpg

FBmarcsuitport.jpg

FBsarahhips.jpg

FBsarahredport.jpg

Wow great shots! I'm envious of your Speed Graphic camera!

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo