Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Hurrell 40s style photography

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's a shot V for Victory (aka Marc) took of me a couple of years ago (has it been that long?) when we were in "The Caine Mutiny Court Martial" together. He used his SpeedGraphic with a black and white Polaroid film pack. The pictures of the cast came out great.
CaptBlakeleysmall-1.jpg

And Marc, that is one lovey lady you're affianced to!

Atomic Age

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Here's a shot V for Victory (aka Marc) took of me a couple of years ago (has it been that long?) when we were in "The Caine Mutiny Court Martial" together. He used his SpeedGraphic with a black and white Polaroid film pack. The pictures of the cast came out great.
CaptBlakeleysmall-1.jpg

And Marc, that is one lovey lady you're affianced to!

Thats great. Looks like it could be a military ID photo from the era!

Doug

Dixon Steele

New in Town
50 mm 'nifty fifty'

Atomic Age said:
Atterbury,

Thanks for the welcome.

These were shot with a Canon Rebel XTI digital SLR, and a fixed focal length 50mm lens. They were actually shot in color, and I used a Photoshop plugin called Virtual Photographer to render it in black and white and add just a bit of film grain. I also added a bit of a soft focus filter in Photoshop.

Doug

Greetings your photos are wonderfully lit , they look like medium format...

did you use the 'nifty fifty' the cheapest 50mm cannon lens... I have one.....its a great lens.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Hi guys. Thanks for the comments. Yes all of my photographs were shot with a 10 mega pixel Canon Rebel XTI digital SLR with the 50mm f 1.8 lens.

I'm glad they are coming off as actual vintage images. That was what I was hoping for.

Doug

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Apparently YouTube have changed about with the embedding procedure. I've had into the same issue before. Just copy the string that follows the equal sign in the link (in this case it's jqO9Xz1hyA0) and paste that into the embed box or place it between the YOUTUBE tags. :)

[YOUTUBE]jqO9Xz1hyA0[/YOUTUBE]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed that. She moves and reacts exactly as I would expect her to, and the narration was spot-on. It had a really authentic golden era vibe . . . except for the microwave in the kitchen . . . (sorry, I just had to mention it).

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Blimey!!

BinkieBaumont said:
http://www.rogerganiajames.com/intropage.html

"This Chap pays attention to every detail the clothes, makeup and accessories are "Spot on" Wow! "I'm ready for my Close-up Mr James"

Comparing the before and after you wouldn't believe they are one and the same person!

Very well done!

Edit: just read it properly, it is indeed all done by one person ... very impressive! Hats off the gentleman.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
I enjoyed that. She moves and reacts exactly as I would expect her to, and the narration was spot-on. It had a really authentic golden era vibe . . . except for the microwave in the kitchen . . . (sorry, I just had to mention it).

Yeah I was making no attempt to remove all things modern. But lets just call it a "radarange" and be done with it! LOL After all the first microwave ovens were available from Tappen in 1952. Of course they were $1200 in 52, but we won't quibble.

Doug

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I love this, the music is superb, and such attention to detail, I was on the edge of my Jean-Michael Frank armchair, I only have one tiny question, when she climbs the staircase, she does not have the big torch in her hand, you know the one she bashes the projectionist with, where was she concealing that?"

halloween-pinup2.jpg

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
"I love this, the music is superb, and such attention to detail, I was on the edge of my Jean-Michael Frank armchair, I only have one tiny question, when she climbs the staircase, she does not have the big torch in her hand, you know the one she bashes the projectionist with, where was she concealing that?"

halloween-pinup2.jpg

Yep as I said in the other thread, it happens when you are the only guy behind the camera. Those two scenes were actually shot on different days. The stairs were shot first, then the booth on another day. I just forgot about the flashlight on the stair day. :D

Doug

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Very nice work Doug, you should check out the work of Roger James in LA, he's the best I've found so far...but you look like you can give him a run for the money soon! http://www.rogerganiajames.com/intropage.html

I'm also a fan of Hurrell, I just recently snagged his Hollywood Portraits book, by Viera, in a used book shop for $70...it's been going on ebay and Amazon for close to $300. Are you familiar with it?

WG, thanks for the Roger James link- the 'after' pictures in his gallery are AMAZING!! Okay so I wanna do a shoot like this with this photographer someday! I have an elbow buster Hurrell book, and have borrowed from the CA Pops Orchestra Bus. Mgr., her copy of HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS Classic Portraits by Mark Viera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo