Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German magazine scans 1930s

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
img311.jpg
Some vintage workwear from 1931, vobachs familienhilfe.
not so exciting as in the american workwear adds, I suppose.

I hate to say it, but the one to the right looks like a Mao suit to me. The rest look like cool mad scientist outfits. Come to think of it though, the middle right one would be perfect for painting. Thanks for the amazing scans FFF

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well of course Mao's suit is inspired by workwear (and uniforms). But I think this is just a plain work-shirt/jacket buttoned to the top. It's not very different to modern work suits. We call them Blaumann.
multiproof.jpg

And now for something completely different: I want to encourage people from all over the world to scan their vintage magazines and catalogues. Please do! I want to see 1920s- 1930s stuff from norway, japan, spain, brazil, finland...everywhere!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
FlatFootFloey said:
I want to encourage people from all over the world to scan their vintage magazines and catalogues. Please do! I want to see 1920s- 1930s stuff from norway, japan, spain, brazil, finland...everywhere!
The question is: How many places had their own clothing industries then - never mind their own trade journals? A lot of smaller countries must have imported.

Flat Foot Floey

I have a magazin from 1920s sweden that looks quite similar to the german magazines. so I suppose it would be possible at least for all the countries in the western world. all you have to do is looking on fleamarkets and such. I never did so until my girlfriend showed me her finds. Most of the scans are from her magazines.

Ok, here are some more. Less suits and more sports stuff...hope you enjoy it too.

Beyers Mode 1933
herrenmodebeyer193301sw.jpg

herrenmodebeyer193302sw.jpg

ppullunderpolohemdbeyer.jpg

Beyers Mode 1932
kkleidedenhausherrnbeye.jpg

kkleidedenhausherrnbeye.jpg

Vobachs Familienhilfe 1929/30
pullovervobach192930.jpg

meykragen1929.jpg

strickkrawatte1931.jpg

Deutsche Modenzeitung 1938
pullunderdmz1938sw.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

Unfortunally the pattern were not included for the suits. Just for the knitwear sometimes. But my girlfriend just found a pattern for a sports coat. No beltback but ...uhm...nested fabric where the belt would be. Don't know it is called and if it looks good when done. Does somebody know what I mean and has a suit like this?.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Flo and Mario, this brings back some memories. 20 years ago I used to search the Spitze and Glencheck every Thursday afternoon. It was often a little frustrating because I hardly ever found something even remotely my size. I didn't know they are at the Suarezstraße now.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't call either of those overcoats formal. If you're playing golf or doing something else outdoors in plus-fours it makes sense to have a trench coat or rain coat if the weather turns wet.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So many of the German 1930's styled pictures could so easily be from an English Catelogue. The chap with the bowler hat, just looks so Anglofied (English/British). Maybe the two countries (then) had much more in common (certainly the upper middle and upper classes) and that's reflected in the clothing styles.

Flat Foot Floey

from "illustrierte wäsche und handarbeiten" 1936
illustriertewscheundhan.jpg

from "praktische damen und kindermode" 1935
it looks like for boys but the guy smokes a pipe and the caption is "ein Sportanzug für Herren" which means "a sports suit for gentlemen"
praktischedamenundkinde.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21