Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The jokes just write themselves...:D
pith.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Renault

One Too Many
Still debating whether I want a pith helmet for our jaunt up Mt. St. Helens this summer.
Then, which style? Do I go for the Zulu Brithish style in white? The French style, WWII Heer DAK style? Maybe the flat top kind? Would be fun and it would go with my cultivating handlebar mustache.

Cheers!

Dan

The repro DAK helmets I've seen are a bit heavy and really are HOT. They are not really sun helmets IMHO. But That's just one ones I've seen fellas here wearing. They appear to be made outta something other than what you'd want a sun helmet made out of.....

I think (big emphasis on think) the recent run of "French" piths seen on Ebay and elsewhere are really modern Italian. But they are good for sun protection. And they are an actual pith helmet. I'm refering to the ones with the super-wide brim.

Again I feel the absolute BEST repro helmet out there is the Woosley pattern that Jerry @ Whate Price Glory "used" to offer. They did not have the one size fits all headband (if that's really a bad thing, I dunno?). They were actual fitted helmets and very high quality. I think he cleared out his remaining stock........

Wifey has one of the Woosleys with the expandable headbands. I think it's just like the ones that International Military Antiques (IMA) offers. Real pith material (or at least something very close) and a quality helmet. Comfortable & lightweight. I would imagine their earlier style (Zulu/Sudanese Exp. Force) models are of just as good of quality.

Renault

Baggers

Practically Family
I have that same helmet, bought from BR back in the 1980s before the original owners sold out to the Gap. Marked made in India and light as a feather. It originally came with a piece of clear green tinted celluloid or other type plastic material pinned to the topside front of the brim, but has long since been lost. I love that helmet and only use it on special occasions. If someone started making them again I'd buy at least two so I could retire the "antique" and have a spare or two. My only gripe with it is the sweatband. While sized, it's made of vinyl and so doesn't absorb sweat at all. Still, a lovely little helmet.

That catalog scan almost brought a tear to my eye. God, I miss that place.

ETA: I spoke too soon, here's an exact copy of my helmet, only a different maker and lining! I wonder what size it is?

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The cabela's is woven straw, not pith or cork. Best source I know for helmets, as I've said before, is tagsafari.com

So, the one from Tag Safari, what is the sweatband like. Is it one of those adjustable ones with velcro? Does anyone here have one from there and what is the interior like?

Cheers!

Dan

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I have the cavalry model. The sweatband is leather, adjustable and velcro fastened. The helmet is lined and the top of the liner is quilted to provide a pad for the top of your (possibly hairless) head. I wore it on one safari, just for giggles, and it was quite comfortable.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have the cavalry model. The sweatband is leather, adjustable and velcro fastened. The helmet is lined and the top of the liner is quilted to provide a pad for the top of your (possibly hairless) head. I wore it on one safari, just for giggles, and it was quite comfortable.

Interesting. Thank you for that info on the Tag Safari liner Sarge. If you have any images of the interior could you post a couple?

If anybody here has one of the What Price Glory Wolseley Pith Helmet, could you post pics of the interior as well. I need to know if the sweatband is floating within the helmet or hard mounted like a fedora. I'm looking to see if there is a bit of wiggle room if one can remove the sweatband and stretch it to fit if the fit isn't spot on. I had read somewhere that the sweatband is held in with some metal clips that makes it easy to remove. A couple of images will help in the decision making process and confirm the attachment. I had stretched the sweatband on a vintage straw boater, which has a floating sweatband which made it easy to stretch to fit. If I can do the same for the WPG then there is no problems and the choice will be simple.

Thanks in advance if anyone has one.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Another thing that I've been searching for is a neck curtain to tie on to the back of the pith helmet for extra sun protection. Something like these.

Officers-Foreign-Service-Helmet.jpg

Warwickshire-Yeomanry-Wolseley.png

Queens-final.jpg

I'm tired of a sun burnt neck on certain hikes where there is no shade to be had, even with a wide brimmed hat. The neck curtain will add that little extra something.

Cheers!

Dan

Baggers

Practically Family
DanielJones, the sweat is held in place by four metal brads, similar to the ones used to hold a stack of 3 hole punched paper -- like a script -- with thin rubber spacers between it and the helmet shell to create an airspace. It's fairly easy to remove because my helmet came with the sweat mounted backwards (seam to the front) so I had to reverse it. The trick in removing the brads is that the prongs poke outwards through the shell, not inwards. You can access them by gently lifting the lower edge of the puggaree and then using a sharp edge to lift and straighten the prong. After doing that, it's a simple matter of using the same flat edge to lift the brad from the inside.

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02170.jpg

Hope these help. As for the neck curtain, from the pictures you posted that looks easy enough to sew up from muslin or thin canvas. Good luck!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Outstanding!! Thank you Baggers!:D That is exactly what I was looking for. That looks dead simple to do too. Good to know that the sweatband does float creating a bit of wiggle room in stretching the sweatband out. Oh this is going to be a load of fun. I'm sure I'll have to remove the sweatband anyway to correct it from being backwards.
Makes you wonder how many folks have bought this and wore it backwards not knowing any better.

I'll be sure to post plenty of pics once I order it and it comes in. My Banana Republic Bombay Bowler should be arriving tomorrow so I will post that as well, inside and out.

Thank you again for those pics, they were a huge help.

Cheers!

Dan

Baggers

Practically Family
Happy to be of some small service. I'll be looking forward to your posts. One word of warning about the sweat band on my helmet, however. It -- like every other repro helmet out there apparently -- seems to be made of some material "other than leather" and so does not absorb perspiration very well... if at all. This may effect how much it can be stretched. At least the WPG Wolesley is of much better quality than my BR India pattern and doesn't look and feel nearly as artificial. All things considered, though, it is a beautiful topee.

Again, good luck!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the heads-up on the sweatband Baggers. I do have a spare leather sweatband floating around that I can use to replace WPG's if necessary. Plus I have access to a local hatter if I ask real nice like I'm sure he could help me out in properly cutting and sewing the sweatband together. Thanks again!:D

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well my Bombay Bowler came in. Not too bad of a piece from the 80's Banana Republic line-up, but the sweatband has to go. That hyde from the nauga just isn't cricket. But the fit is perfect and it looks darn nice. I'll post some pics along with my Wolseley once it comes in. The camera hasn't been used for a while and need to go on the charger. Oops.

Cheers!

Dan

Baggers

Practically Family
Glad the bowler met most of your expectations. Yeah, that pretty much describes the sweat band in mine. WPG's will be much nicer, but still petroleum based. If it's any consolation, the liners in British steel combat helmets, from the WW1 Mk 1 through the post WW2 Mk 4, were made of a similarly impermeable oilskin type material so I guess there is some historical justification for the fine roan nauga sweats of these helmets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters