Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Soldiers-British-002.jpg

British and Sikh soldiers in Jerusalem (when Israel was under the British Mandate), probably post-World War I.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And one more for good measure.
784px-Ottoman_surrender_of_Jerusalem_restored.jpg

This is a famous photograph taken just before Christmas, 1917 and it shows the surrender of the city of Jerusalem to the British Army. The campaign against the Turkish army had succeeded and the Turks were in total retreat. The city authorities awaited the British army which was already nearby and finally the mayor (the man in the fez and carrying a cane) and the local police went out looking for advance units of the British Army in order to surrender to them. They encountered these two British soldiers who were simply out scavenging for tobacco and the mayor handed them a white flag as token of surrender. A photographer of the American Colony Photo Service, accompanying the mayor recorded the incident. At first the two soldiers, a private and a sergeant, didn’t want to accept the surrender but the mayor and his party were insistent.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here is another I found interesting.
04717v.jpg

British soldiers with Lewis Machine guns posted at Jaffa Gate ( note the Grand Hotel in background ) , Jerusalem, Palestine circa 1920
In searching out these old pics I find out some interesting tidbits of history. Learn as you go.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And if you notice, the Mayor had little to no mud on his shoes while everyone else is caked in it.

And with that, we have a shor from The Man who would be King.
spaceout.gif

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Building Railroad in Israel
Building-Railroad-Israel.jpg

Juba Hotel, Sudan
Hotel-Sudan-Juba.jpg

It's funny. In my searches for pith helmet images I came across one that I found interesting. Some one here thought it an odd combination to wear one with tweed. Well, I had found an image a few days ago that showed a young man circa 1920 middle east in a Wolseley pith helmet in a tweed coat with a box camera. Unfortunately I was running short of time and had to get off my computer and didn't think of bookmarking the page to come back later. Needless to say I've been having a heck of a time trying to find it again. My computer deletes the history upon exiting so I can't even retrace my steps from then.

I had found it while looking for British Soldiers in Jerusalem in the WW1 era. It was really a fantastic image showing a great example of a Wolseley and to show that tweed can work with a Pith Helmet. The picture was taken of the young man from above, like he was sitting and the person taking the picture was standing. The tweed coat had wide lapels. There was even a neat caption that went with the photo about the person.

So, if anyone here comes across this image please post it here with a link to the photo. If I manage to find it first I will be sure to post it.

Cheers!

Dan

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I have enjoyed the pics you folks keep finding greatly. Last night I started to tell my bride about this thread and told her it was about pith helmets. She looks at me and states "I hate it it when you use that word." Took me a second to realize we were suffering from a failure to communicate! We had a good laugh, then some ice cream to finish the evening as I showed her some of the pics.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
18593v.jpg

British soldiers & armoured cars with Lewis machine guns in Julian Way, at Jaffa Gate July 13, 1938.

18877v.jpg

British troops with Vickers machine gun on Lydda Junction Station roof, Palestine - circa 1938.

Cheers!

Dan

jkingrph

Practically Family
A short uniform with pith helmet is just one helluva stylish way to go to war. Digital camouflage might be better for your health, but the old look is vastly superior.

While the pith helmet and shorts would definetly be co for oler in the summer heat there, and I spent my time in that part of the world to know, I'll take the heavy kevlar helmet and digital cameos for field use in a hostile or semi hostile area. A thin layer of fabric between my skin and all the rocks in Palestine, now Israel would be most wecome when trying to get as low to the ground as possible and having to move about.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know, I enjoy the look of the Wolseley and it usually pops uo a lot in military photos.
So, let's shift gears and show some exploers from back in the day.
3948801450_f057e2d045_o.jpg

Expedition members, C. Suydam Cutting, Wilfred Osgood, Jack Baum, Louis A. Fuertes and Alfred Bailey. 1927. Daily News Abyssinian Expedition.

3948801808_85689c1bfe_o.jpg

Men (expedition members) at camp. 1927. Daily News Abyssinian Expedition.

3948802304_c289cf4153_o.jpg

Expedition members and native Abyssinians in front of tents at campsite. One man holds a rifle over his shoulder. Banner for Field Museum U.S.A. visible in background. 1927. Daily News Abyssinian Expedition.

I'm still on my quest to find that one photo of the young man in the Wolseley pith helmet and tweed coat holding a box camera.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And yet another from that Expedition.
3948802856_b4e36ee527_o.jpg

Five men, four in white suits. Expedition members Including Baum, Osgood in the middle, Bailey, Fuertes at far right and one other man, Cutting. Standing on an outdoor porch. 1927. Daily News Abyssinian Expedition.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit