Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age lab coats?

katon

New in Town
What were the details, and were they different than the sort worn today?

What fabric were they made of? Belted or non-belted backs? What kind of lapels? Was there a standard length?

Also, what's the story with the mandarin collar(?) labcoats with the shoulder-side buttons? The one typically associated with mad scientist depictions today?

20071017-Mad_scientist_caricature.png

2428741822_e5ee12ac8f.jpg

Did they have a different purpose than the standard lab coat?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a vintage one- not entirely sure of the date, but it's somewhere between '30s and '50s. Mandarin collar, buttons along the shoulder. Pleated belt back, breast pocket, 3/4 length sleeves.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Not all lab technicians used such a garment, here's grandpa's from his time at Hughes(yes, that Hughes) and Lockheed as an RF engineer and later laser physicist:

01.jpg

It's a bit large on me and I look as if I'm about to attack the camera...of note is that grandpa was just about my size, maybe an inch taller.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Buckle detail.

04.jpg

Button detail.

05.jpg

And the kicker...Sears Hercules brand, 'Nation-Alls'. Most would consider this to be blue-collar work wear. In a research environment like the one grandpa worked in, a white smock would be a bad idea. Note the stains in the previous photos! It's been dry-cleaned and they didn't come out.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I've found it alot easier to find high quality chef jackets for some reason the lab coats I recently got were all polyester crap cut two sizes too small.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I have a CC41 labelled lab coat that i use. it is very similar to the modern SB style, though there are holes for studs rather than buttons.

bk

Holes for "Bachelor Buttons"?
The type you can remove for laundering that have a swiveling metal shank on the button and attach with a split ring at the back?

You see them on WW2 era British Army clothing, normally the KD variety.

Is that what you have?

B
T

1930sam

New in Town
lab coats tend to be pretty standardized these days to look like 3/4 legnth sports jackets but many private dentists ie not part of a state health service continue to use the high collar type

its basically to do with ease of making alot less machining goes into one now-a-days because most of them get either contaminated and unusable or destroyed to prevent spread of dangerous material and they have to be cheap to replace earlier styles often included buttons on the sleeves etc

I dont think there are many patterns surviving

Edward

Bartender
I must ask my dentist next time I'm in....

I do have on of the short-sleeve, 't-shirt' shaped shirts, acquired last year for an Orin Scrivello costume, but I do fancy the longer one.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner