Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good night nurse, I bought a Tilley!

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
The unthinkable has happened. I finally broke down and bought a Tilley.

I travel a lot, much of the time to hot, steamy places like Hawaii, Bali and southern Mexico. Next month we're going to Angkor in Cambodia. For most of these travels I have worn a Panama. Last June, I wore my Adventurebilt to the jungles of Chiapas, Mexico, which was a big mistake. Harrison Ford said it best, you have to be nuts to wear a fedora and leather jacket in the jungle.

There are both positives and negatives about wearing your Panama hat to hot, steamy countries. The positive is that they just look really cool. Except to my wife, who thinks it REALLY makes me look like a tourist (hey, I AM a tourist). I just love that 1930s look that only a good Panama can give you.

And here are the negatives about wearing Panamas to these places, especially really good, fino Panamas. First of all, if it rains, you are out of luck. The hat just gets all warpy and you have to hope you can get Art to fix it when you come home. And it's hard to travel on the airplane with. When you put it up in the carry-on hold, you have to be sure another passenger doesn't smush it with his carry-on. And if you happen to come upon a big windstorm atop a huge cliff on the side of a caldera, the hat can easily whip off your head and drop down into oblivion (this almost happened to me in Bali, but luckily my hand was really fast and I caught it as it came flying off my head). When traveling with my Panama, I just think about it too much and my thoughts are usually how am I going to protect it from being ruined in one way or another. You should never really have to think about an article of clothing, especially while traveling.

For years, everytime we go to REI, my wife has pointed out the Tilleys and said, why don't you get one of those? Because they are bloody ugly!, I reply. Not any more then your silly straw hat, she says. It's called a Panama, not a straw hat, I say. And it's NOT silly (sheesh). Fine, have it your way, she says.

Well, today I finally relented. I now realize that she was right in some respects. Not about how the Panama looks, I still think it's the most elegant piece of clothing in the world. But practically speaking, when all is said and done, the Tilley is a better travel hat. No worries about getting it wet, smushing it in the luggage, sweating in it, or even getting it blown off on the cliffside of a caldera (it's got the little string thingy).

So I'll be wearing it in Bali and Cambodia in a couple of weeks. I'll write a report on just how it compares to traveling with a Panama.

Regards, Kaleponi Craig

P.S. Of course, this only pertains to hot, steamy countries. Any travels to cooler climates and I'll be wearing my Adventurebilt. I mean, this Tilley thing can only go so far.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Welcome to the club

I own a number of hats, from an Akubra Safari to several Optimos. I even have an Optimo Monticristi. But put me near wind, water and/or sweat (as on a golf course) and my Tilley is on my head.

As you point out, you should own your hat, not the other way around. If you have to spend too much time worrying about your hat's safety you won't enjoy your travels.

So enjoy your trip AND you new hat. And, upon your return, enjoy throwing it in the wash to get the grunge out.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Craig, I'll be following your experiences here with great interest. I've often considered them as good options, especially when wearing a hat is not an option, it's a necessity. Anyone who works in the desert, as I do, would be stupid not to have a good hat. I also agree that traveling with a fur felt hat is a pain. Nonetheless, I agree with you: the Tilleys are bloody ugly, but you can't argue witht heir success and their advantages! Before you leave, can you post some pics of the model you chose? I'd like to see the least ugly of the bunch you chose! lol

I'm hoping that Mark G. will weigh in here, too. He said he took a canvas hat to Africa once, and it was a huge mistake. I'd like to see what he says about that experience, because he now won't go with anything but a fur felt.

dnjan

One Too Many
I added a hat cord to my Panama before I went to Florida last summer, but also brought along a Tilley for non-"dress" occaisions. Carried the extra hat in a hard case on the plane.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've worn a Tilley for backpacking, rafting, and fishing in heat, hail, rain, and snow. The hat is indestructible!

It isn't pretty but it does the job and I don't worry about what's on my noggin. I also like the pocket inside the crown for my fishing license, cash, etc.

I look forward to your report from the wilds of Bali and Cambodia.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I'm glad to hear that the Tilley is a good travel hat and I'll be sure to post a thread about how the Tilley holds up in the wilds of Bali and Angkor.

There was a thread awhile back over at Club Obi Wan from someone who went to Angkor with his Indy Gear, including a leather jacket (which he quickly changed to a cotton one). I gotta say, it looks REALLY cool to be wearing your Indy hat at ruins such as these. But again, after my experience at Palenque, Yaxchitlan and other spots in the Mexican jungle with my Adventurebilt, it was just a bit too uncomfortable. But up in the Chiapas highlands, at San Cristobal de las Casas, it was the perfect lid.

I bought the Airflo...

tilley.jpg

Regards...KC

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I like mine and wear them alot, despite their appearance[huh] lol. I have one Natural and one Olive T3.

I almost always take the cord from the front (the part of the cord that most would put under their chin) and loop it to the back of my head. The wind can blow very hard and it still holds very well. I would highly recommend doing so. Especially if you bought it as recommended...slightly loose.

One thing I really like about them is that when they get wet, the brim actually stiffens up instead of sagging.

I washed both of them right away, to give them the crinkled look. I think they look better that way.[huh]

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first hat was a Tilley. To this day I always have a Tilley with me. In my car, when I travel, camping. It is a good back up hat that can do anything. I am now looking at picking up a Hemp TH5 model.
Johnny

Bogie

One of the Regulars
A Tilley is a wise choice, stylish or complementary to a noggin? Perhaps not.

But will it last through the wilderness and take loads of abuse? Absolutely.

I don't have a tilley hat perse, but I have a boonie hat that I take with me when I head out into the wilds for more than a few hours.

On that note though Kaleponi Craig, couldn't you have your cake and eat it? I mean, take your Panama in an extra hat case and wear it with descretion? Just my thoughts.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Bogie said:
On that note though Kaleponi Craig, couldn't you have your cake and eat it? I mean, take your Panama in an extra hat case and wear it with descretion? Just my thoughts.

A good thought, Bogie, but I travel very light and the thought of a hat case just doesn't jive with that.

And that's another reason to travel with the Tilley. Just smush the thing in the suitcase

SSCN0009.jpg

...KC

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Against my better judgement...

Me.jpg

(Please forgive the lack of sharpness...My 7 year old son took the photo using my big lens. It was all he could do just to hold it up. I think he did a pretty good job, especially since he didn't have much to work with :D )

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Taj Tilley

I have a Tilley Airflo myself and last summer when I was in India visiting the Taj Mahal I was wearing it. The temp was about 116 degrees with humidity in the 90% range. It was God awful but I was sure thankful to be wearing the Tilley.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day Kaleponi Craig. If you want to take your panama with you and don't want to worry about it getting crushed, Go out and buy a fine single malt scotch. One that comes in a tube that you can gently roll up your favourite hat, put it in the tube and pack normally for travel. It will not get crushed. No pinching or dramatically folding of the hat or sweat band. Also a fine excuse to buy a damn fine bottle of single malt.
Johnny

Razzman

One Too Many
I've got an older Tilly purchased several years ago in Nova Scotia. It's not a bad knock around hat. I've used it camping, hiking and kayaking, and fishing. It definately serves a purpose. It keeps the rain off and blocks the sun. But you are correct...they are butt ugly. I must say, I actually like mine for the purpose it serves. It's practical and will take a beating. You can't ask for more than that.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

My late father swore by his Tilley, for fishing, yardwork, and the like. But then again, he wasn't into the fashion aspect of the hat, at all.

As for me, my black Tilley fur-felt fedora might not be cut like a boonie hat, but it admittedly isn't super-stylish either, Still, it's great for travel. I tend to wear it to work, too, especially on rainy days when other fur-felt hats might decide to leak purple dye.

Now, would I wear it, or a cloth boonie hat-like Tilley, on a trip to a hot climate? Nope. No way.

For that, I like wide-brimmed straws. Some hatmakers, such as Sunbody, even offer straw hats with SPF ratings, or the equivalent.

If you'd be able to prove to me that a true Montecristi were as efficient in keeping the UV rays away, that might be even better, as they're so light-weight.

Till then, I'll be wearing a cowboy-style Sunbody to hot-weather US destinations, and my trusty old Bailey gambler-style straw hat to overseas ones. Such as the Erg Chebbi in southeastern Morocco, where this photo was taken:

Caravan.jpg

Johnnycanuck's idea about using the cardboard tube from a bottle of single-malt as a case for a rolled-up Panama sounds pretty cool. Think I'll have to retrieve the tube from one of today's purchases (Bushmill's Single Malt Irish 10 Year Old) from the kitchen trashcan -- done!

One hopes, though, that the airport security goons won't start ransacking the luggage in search of contraband once they see a tube marked as containing single-malt!

Cheers,
Mark

leo

One of the Regulars
Butt-ugly? Hey, my wife bought me my Tilley and she says she I look good in it and the 50+ rating might keep me around a bit longer. Who am I to argue? lol It's the one hat I almost always have in the car or suitcase, even when wearing a panama or fedora. It's going to be my beach-walking hat in Florida in about four days! And let me whisper so my wife does not hear this...I am taking a panama also.

I have yet to experience the Tilley cult bar trick yet, but I am looking forward to that day. Of course, that's when I'll have a Borsalino on my head. :eusa_doh:

Bill

leo

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Maybe it will be out of the 30s by then.lol

Yeah, I saw the reports. :mad: However, Palm is supposed to be in the mid-70s next week. Definitely better than the single digits that we have here now.

Heck, maybe I'll take a felt fedora, too...just in case! :p

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner