Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye to our '36 Ford

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
crying.gif
Sorry to see her go... and hoping she finds a good home:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=106231839

30s%20Family3.jpg

Kind regards,
Indy

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Love the plates! Obviously the whole family loves the vintage look. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean the Ford is a real family car, 4 doors and all. So what about safety and other trivialities. Well, I'm sure some Fedora Lounge candidate will scoop it up. Are you trading up? You HAVE to have a vintage car to go with the rest of the ensemble you've put together.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Hey, seatbelts are one of the lowest concerns for me. I forget who said that safety would become paramount in a society that has turned away from God...

In any case, we won't be replacing her at the moment. It is sad to see her go, but it looks like the purchaser won't be picking it up for at least another month, so we'll still get a few good cruises out of her.

Kind regards,
Indy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Love the plates! Obviously the whole family loves the vintage look. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean the Ford is a real family car, 4 doors and all. So what about safety and other trivialities.

I have owned pre-war Fords (a '31, a '32 and now a '37) since the 1970s and I have always regarded safety as being very important - particularly where my family are concerned. As there is nothing in the front of an old Ford to attach lap-diagonal seat belts to, I fitted 60's four-point racing harnesses (by Irvin, no less) at the front. They are QD (quickly detachable) by means of snap fasteners to eye-bolts mounted on the cross-member through the floor and can be removed and stowed away in seconds when parked. That's the only time anyone is likely to see them, so they don't compromise the old-timey look. I recommend this to anyone.

Alan

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Indy Magnoli said:
Hey, seatbelts are one of the lowest concerns for me. I forget who said that safety would become paramount in a society that has turned away from God...
Creeping secularism responsible for rising traffic fatalities? Hmm, I never thought of that. I always just assumed it was more traffic.

There's a beautiful '36 Tudor in my building's garage - Washington blue with original mohair - that belongs to a local car nut who's storing it there with his friend, the garage manager. It just sits there, never taken out. [huh] If the for sale sign ever goes up, I'll seriously consider it...meantime I'll try and sneak some pictures.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch- those of who own and show our vintage cars call those who let them sit and decay criminals. If it goes up for sale tell somebody, anybody that will care for it and actually drive it to events where it can be appreciated.

Edward

Bartender
Twitch said:
Fletch- those of who own and show our vintage cars call those who let them sit and decay criminals. If it goes up for sale tell somebody, anybody that will care for it and actually drive it to events where it can be appreciated.

Absolutely.... I remember an old boy who owned a local garage in our village - Dad tried to buy a couple of prewar cars from him - one of them i think was saveable, the others would have been great sources of spares. The owner insisted he was going to restore them one day.... I think the son scrapped them when he took over the business, as by then that was all they were fit for, sitting outside.

dhermann1 said:
Love the plates! Obviously the whole family loves the vintage look. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean the Ford is a real family car, 4 doors and all. So what about safety and other trivialities. Well, I'm sure some Fedora Lounge candidate will scoop it up. Are you trading up? You HAVE to have a vintage car to go with the rest of the ensemble you've put together.

It's a gorgeous car, I'd love to have something like it if I was to run one.... Always felt very at home with the vintage vibe - I grew up around vintage and classic cars, Dad has always been a buff. Can appreciate them myself, but I can't see me owning one in the foreseeable - couldn't justify the expense of a hobby car, and there's no need of one for day to day tansport for me living in central London. Ah, c'est la vie. I actually hated driving anyhow.... I just appreciate the older cars as works of art! lol I think if ever I did it I'd be looking for a kit that had thirties styling (and could be built to be convincing as a could-have-been thirties car), with more modern handling / reliability / ease of spares. Eh well.

As to safety..... you can keep your airbags and your crumple zones - there's little I'd trust more in a shunt than a pre-war chassis! lol

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
As to safety..... you can keep your airbags and your crumple zones - there's little I'd trust more in a shunt than a pre-war chassis! lol

I have to agree. I have a 63 F-100 and though it isn't pre-war, I am more concerned with the honda civic or some other tuna can zipping in front of me and slamming their brakes. Hence I don't drive it much now that I live in the DC area.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Absolutely.... I remember an old boy who owned a local garage in our village - Dad tried to buy a couple of prewar cars from him - one of them i think was saveable, the others would have been great sources of spares. The owner insisted he was going to restore them one day.... I think the son scrapped them when he took over the business, as by then that was all they were fit for, sitting outside.

Years ago, I bought a '66 Lincoln Continental convertible. The gent who sold it to me also had a coupe. Years later, I met up with him and he told me that he'd recently sold the coupe to a garage near the mobile home park he owned. They chopped it up. He said that if he'd known they were going to do that, he would have given it to me.

Edward said:

I adopted a saying for that Lincoln (5,480 pounds) and later adapted it to the '67 Chrysler (3,980) I own now: "In case of accident . . . I win." I'd rather be in a big, heavy classic than under one.

Which reminds me of an old cartoon strip I once saw. Two guys are going down the road in a big rig and the driver says, "There's that crunching sound again." and under the front wheel is a small car.

Lee

Both cars are more than six-and-a-half feet wide and more than eighteen feet long.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Twitch said:

If someone owns something, he can do what he likes with it. Where I come from anyway.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy