Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye to our '36 Ford

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Regarding mid-thirties fords, why on earth given that they were both Fords were the British Fords so different to the American Fords (in both bosy and engine capacity)?

I've never understood why the same company would have started to produce such different cars (and indeed they are still doing it today).

They were different because of different economies and traffic conditions. In the UK in the early '30s you would have had to be seriously rich to run a US Ford V8. It can be argued that they weren't all so different, anyway. Some of the larger prewar (and even postwar) European Ford models have body parts that interchange with the American versions. The Models A and B (and AA etc) are very similar.

The Model Y was introduced as a small 'world car' (as we would call it now) for use in markets where the bigger and more expensive US models were at a price disadvantage. The Ford operations in Europe and other parts of the world were given a a lot of independence from the parent company, although the Model Y was originally designed in Detroit. The first series of the Model Y (introduced 1932) served as a sort of design exercise for the US Model 40 (introduced 1933). My favourite is the German version of the 10 HP Model C called the Eifel. Notice the similarity to the US '37 (apart from the lights).
180px-Ford_Eifel_1938.jpg

Heck! I can't believe it - I'm writing about cars!

Alan

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sad.

Too bad you're selling it... I'm sure you'll get a good price for it. Doesn't look like it needs much at all... I know most '30's Fords in original condition are fetching a good $20,000+ up here in the states.

I'm not sure why you'd sell such a fantastic old Ford but, maybe you want something else in the future... maybe a MoPar? I hear they're great!

FM~

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Fletch- those of who own and show our vintage cars call those who let them sit and decay criminals. If it goes up for sale tell somebody, anybody that will care for it and actually drive it to events where it can be appreciated.

nothing worse than a car that sits...and sits...and sits...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
Too bad you're selling it... I'm sure you'll get a good price for it. Doesn't look like it needs much at all... I know most '30's Fords in original condition are fetching a good $20,000+ up here in the states.

I'm not sure why you'd sell such a fantastic old Ford but, maybe you want something else in the future... maybe a MoPar? I hear they're great!

FM~

I'm not interested in the money, I haven't even thought about that. I've had it with cars and I want it to be owned by someone who will treasure it, use it and who I can trust not to sell it on for a profit. The previous owner fits the bill nicely.

Alan

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
I'm not interested in the money, I haven't even thought about that. I've had it with cars and I want it to be owned by someone who will treasure it, use it and who I can trust not to sell it on for a profit. The previous owner fits the bill nicely.

Alan

Well, I was originally posting to Indy Magnoli's '36... not the ’37 you're selling... sorry for the confusion.

FM~

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yes, it was sad to see her go... but at the moment we are pouring money into the house. We have just added an en suite to the master bedroom along with a wardrobe and will soon be extending the house. The best part of it, is that I will be getting a larger study in which to work as well as a library. Will post photos of the renovations and additions in the appropriate section as they are completed.

Kind regards,
Indy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy