Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye to our '36 Ford

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
What am I missing here? Why the hell are you selling it!

My thoughts exactly!
I hope you are getting more than what you want for it.

I never understand when someone sells...Then again...I don't understand those people who have the ones that they never drive.

I'm still kicking myself about the 48 Chevy StyleMaster that I let get away.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
We are getting a little more for it than we had hoped (the sale is not yet final) and they guy getting it is planning to fix her up and take good care of her, so we're happy about that.

As for doing what you want... I believe that taking care of a vintage car is part of the natural law... God has inscribed in the hearts of men the love of classic vehicles. Anything else is just unnatural. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Fletch said:
So you shed no particular tears over Edward's tale of the old garageman's cars going to the crusher? The abstract principle over the particular case? :rolleyes:

Shed a tear? No way. In the 1970s I rebuilt a '32 Ford Roadster and ran it for 15 years or so. Won show awards with it, had it featured in magazines, that sort of stuff. When I needed a four seater I sold it so I could buy a '37 Tudor. The guy wrecked the roadster after 3 months. I didn't shed a tear for that, why should I shed a tear for the cars in Edward's tale?

They're only cars, after all.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Indy Magnoli said:
As for doing what you want... I believe that taking care of a vintage car is part of the natural law... God has inscribed in the hearts of men the love of classic vehicles. Anything else is just unnatural. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

I assume you're joking. There is nothing natural about liking and caring for cars. It's a personal thing. Some people like caring for cars, some people don't. I used to, but I don't now.

When I think of all the hours I spent (wasted?) on wrenching, polishing and driving old cars over the thirty-odd years I owned them I just think, 'Why didn't I do something useful instead?'

Alan

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yes, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that. The point is, however, that there is something special about classic cars. It's funny how no matter whose looking at it, they can't help but stare at our '36 Ford. We've received comments from people from so many different walks of life, styles, ages, etc... it seems that the love of vintage cars is universal.

But yes, they are only material things... don't take it too seriously.

Kind regards,
Indy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Indy Magnoli said:
Yes, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that. The point is, however, that there is something special about classic cars. It's funny how no matter whose looking at it, they can't help but stare at our '36 Ford. We've received comments from people from so many different walks of life, styles, ages, etc... it seems that the love of vintage cars is universal.

But yes, they are only material things... don't take it too seriously.

Kind regards,
Indy

Indy,

The 'attention-getting' factor of owning an old car is what I came to dislike. I hate being stared at or being the centre of attention or thought to be 'showing off'. I wouldn't say the 'love of vintage cars' that you refer to is in any way universal. I think things are different in different societies. England has a lot of envy.

My 'deuce' roadster (which was quite a glamorous car) used to draw some positive comments, but far more cases of 'chavs' shouting, 'Who do you think you are?' and other abuse. There are numerous cases of parked 'classic' cars being vandalised and I know a guy whose immaculate Model A panel was rammed repeatedly on the road by four youths in a stolen Fiesta. Good fun, I'm sure...

Alan

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yes, I know exactly what you mean about "attention getting". I, too, never liked it much, but did enjoy putting a smile on so many older folks who would tell us stories about what their father used to drive.

As for abuse, we never received any here in NZ. In fact, I feel quite safe leaving this car on the side of the road overnight more so than our regular family fan. Even the criminals here seem to respect the old car. That being said... I better go knock on some wood right now!

Kind regards,
Indy

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NZntage

Indy NZ was always a haven for old cars as for years not many were imported there and I suppose the existing ones were vigorously maintained.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
Some people like caring for cars, some people don't. I used to, but I don't now.

When I think of all the hours I spent (wasted?) on wrenching, polishing and driving old cars over the thirty-odd years I owned them I just think, 'Why didn't I do something useful instead?'

Alan

Try not to consider it wasted time. To be able to know how to work on cars is a gift. I'm a 34 year old female who would LOVE to have your knowledge of cars and your experience working on them.

I want to build/restore a Bel Air like you would not believe....and I am starting to learn there are a lot more parts and wires than I originally thought. But I am SO ready to get my hands dirty.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
I adopted a saying for that Lincoln (5,480 pounds) and later adapted it to the '67 Chrysler (3,980) I own now: "In case of accident . . . I win." I'd rather be in a big, heavy classic than under one.

My old man owed his life once to a Chrysler Plymouth that he walked out of after a coupla roll overs and no seat belts in the 1950s. Tough mothers those Plymouths - you still see 'em driving around.

Flivver

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
I want to build/restore a Bel Air like you would not believe....and I am starting to learn there are a lot more parts and wires than I originally thought. But I am SO ready to get my hands dirty.

1950s cars are quite simple compared to today's vehicles. They are a great place to start for a novice.

I would suggest you join an old car club in your area. There, you'll find many people willing to lend a helping hand.

And since you're in PA, don't miss the AACA's (Antique Automobile Club of America) annual meet in Hershey. It's held in early October and is one of the largest old car meets in the world.

I call it "old car heaven".

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Flivver said:
1950s cars are quite simple compared to today's vehicles. They are a great place to start for a novice.

I would suggest you join an old car club in your area. There, you'll find many people willing to lend a helping hand.

And since you're in PA, don't miss the AACA's (Antique Automobile Club of America) annual meet in Hershey. It's held in early October and is one of the largest old car meets in the world.

I call it "old car heaven".

Ahh believe me, I'm at all the car clubs shows and cruises all summer long!
I plan my weekends around thier calendar. heehee.

I went to on Sunday July 29th that I was looking forward to all month. There was a film crew there working on a documentary called Crusin' PA and they did a 45 minute interview with my friend and me. He has an old 39 Chevy, we were dressed up to suit the car. The car was even dressed up....my friend brought some military memorabilia, uniforms, hats, and old military crank radio, and some old news papers. It was awesome!

The show is going to be on sometime in the winter on PBS.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
PA Dancer said:
He has an old 39 Chevy, we were dressed up to suit the car. The car was even dressed up....my friend brought some military memorabilia, uniforms, hats, and old military crank radio, and some old news papers. It was awesome!

Any pictures?? I love when people dress for the part and dress up the cars for show. Especially when real antiques are used.

Lee

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
A good home for my '37 Ford

I mentioned in a previous post that ever since I lost my enthusiasm for driving and car ownership in general I have been looking for a good home for my 1937 Ford. Well, I seem to have found one - it will be going to a guy I tracked down who owned it many years ago. He remembers the old car fondly and will, I'm sure, love and cherish it. This is just what I wanted and an ideal outcome. He is reunited with an 'old friend' and gets a bargain. I get the peace of mind in knowing that he will look after it and not put it on eBay for a quick profit.

Against my usual practice, here is a photo of my car that I found on the web - I don't know if it has copyright. It was obviously taken in or around 1985, the car fresh from the paint shop, with temporary wheels and number plate and waiting for its bumpers and trim.
blackYredsteels.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Alan, weren't those also known as a Model Y? Looks similar to something someone in the vintage car circles in Northern Ireland used to have, which I'm pretty sure got referred to as a Model Y. Always liked the look of it myself. Were I to drive, I'd probably be looking for a kit that had the appearance of a thirties saloon like that, but the guts of something like a late sixties Triumph - much easier spares availability, and realistic performance for modern use. My dad's rebuilding a mid 30s Morris at the minute - I think a 12? - and it's a nightmare to find some mechanical bits for.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Can somebody please clarify something?

Regarding mid-thirties fords, why on earth given that they were both Fords were the British Fords so different to the American Fords (in both bosy and engine capacity)?

I've never understood why the same company would have started to produce such different cars (and indeed they are still doing it today).

US Ford (mid 30s)

888.jpg

UK Ford (mid 30s)

blackYredsteels.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward

It's full name would be Ford 8 Model Y Popular Saloon. This one has a Ford V6 in it and keeps up with traffic OK. The suspension is all modern too.

Alan

Edward said:
Alan, weren't those also known as a Model Y? Looks similar to something someone in the vintage car circles in Northern Ireland used to have, which I'm pretty sure got referred to as a Model Y. Always liked the look of it myself. Were I to drive, I'd probably be looking for a kit that had the appearance of a thirties saloon like that, but the guts of something like a late sixties Triumph - much easier spares availability, and realistic performance for modern use. My dad's rebuilding a mid 30s Morris at the minute - I think a 12? - and it's a nightmare to find some mechanical bits for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy