Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ton312, Swayze is totally 'bad' in that movie, but only because of the law, y'know, holding up banks and stuff aside, which one of us doesn't admire his pursuit of his own freedom? At least he's honest about it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Bamaboots, yeah, I got my design all finalized and ready, it's upwards of USD 4K, so I was really nervous about measuring myself in case a made a dumb mistake.
Then in July, my brother-in-law suddenly got transferred to Texas for the next 5 years and took his wife and kids with him, so my wife and I have decided to go on holiday to Texas next spring, and that's when I'm going to head over to Rocketbusters in person, and get them to measure me up. I feel way much more comfortable about doing it that way. Very convenient turn of events. I'll start a thread when the whole thing gets rolling and document the whole process. I'm very excited about it!

dubpynchon

One Too Many
You know what, I love Reeves and Swayze in Point Break.
That was a film that should never have been remade (like Total Recall, egads). I remember watching the original multiple times on VCR in a friend's house when I was a teenager, that and John Woo's 'Hard Boiled'. Good laughs.

Last edited:
That was a film that should never have been remade (like Total Recall, egads). I remember watching the original multiple times on VCR in a friend's house when I was a teenager, that and John Woo's 'Hard Boiled'. Good laughs.

Total Recall shouldn't have been made, let alone remade.

Edward

Bartender
You know, the Matrix trilogy was such a 'thing' that after it became 'uncool', I thought Reeves would never (not that he'd need to) work again; it kinda typecast him as Neo.

BUT....

The John Wick movies are excellent IMHO. Non-stop moody action, and never for one moment thought Reeves was just playing his matrix character. That's acting right there. Tom Cruise (with the exception of Eyes Wide Shut) always 'plays' Tom Cruise. But in the John Wick movies, Reeves can really differentiate himself from other action characters he's played. That's really more acting then he usually gets credit for.

Saw both films on planes over the last coupled of years. Fantastic stuff. I agree that Reeves really does perform well in those. Actually, I think he's always been somewhat of a better actor than he got credit for. The one thing I'd call him out on was his English accent; if he hadn't tried to pull that off (wouldf it *really* have mattered if Jonathan Harker had been an American?), his much-mocked turns in Dracual and [/i] Much Ado...[/i] would have bene more favourably viewed, imo. John Wick puts me a lot in mind of some of the territory covered in Wanted, though I think with Wick there's much more depth to the world to support various sequels.

I've always seen Cruise as a box office "star" rather than a true character actor.

That's the thing, I think. In Hollywood, you're either a character actor who can play many different roles, or you're a Movie Star who gets cast to play the Movie Star Persona rather than a role. I always preferred character parts, myself. Johnny Depp may have his torubles personally, but he has had an incredible career as a character actor.

The original Total Recall was campy, certainly, but a lot of fun - much like Arnie's other scifi film of the time, The Running Man. The remake with Colin Farrell is a very different beast, much more "serious". Equally entertaining, it's Nolan to the original's Burton.

By the way...while in Chicago, I stopped into a Rag and Bone shop to view the Schott collab:
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.33.24 AM.png

I think Vogue reviewed it pretty well when they said "by my own estimation, it’s more suitably paired with a floral midi dress than a motorcycle."
Definitely not worth the price of a Goodwear.
...speaking of...Himel just posted up some CRs he did off JC's pattern:
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.36.01 AM.png

a few Himel/GW Californian Racers will be for sale soon from John :)

Last edited:

dubpynchon

One Too Many
The Stephen King story 'Running Man' was based on was kind of cool, in the story it was just a marathon where the winner lived and everyone else was shot when they collapsed from exhaustion. Nice and simple.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
By the way...while in Chicago, I stopped into a Rag and Bone shop to view the Schott collab:
View attachment 82665
I think Vogue reviewed it pretty well when they said "by my own estimation, it’s more suitably paired with a floral midi dress than a motorcycle."
Definitely not worth the price of a Goodwear.
...speaking of...Himel just posted up some CRs he did off JC's pattern:
View attachment 82666
a few Himel/GW Californian Racers will be for sale soon from John :)
Is this the one with the 'schorlary elbow patches'? I think with the same price you get two 618 hh's.

I didn't notice the elbow patches when I tried it on...just the flimsy belt buckle and thin leather. The salesman tried to convince me that I could wear it "well into the (Chicago) Winter", but then backed down when I mentioned that the price wasn"t that far off of a Real McCoys. He had heard of them and admitted that this was more for the "non-enthusiast".

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I didn't notice the elbow patches when I tried it on...just the flimsy belt buckle and thin leather. The salesman tried to convince me that I could wear it "well into the (Chicago) Winter", but then backed down when I mentioned that the price wasn"t that far off of a Real McCoys. He had heard of them and admitted that this was more for the "non-enthusiast".
Seriously I cannot understand the mentality of some people. Spend 2 grand on a mediocre quality jacket only because a trendy magazine says so. While for the same money you can get a much better quality jacket of similar design (rmc) or 2 great jackets of the same brand (618).

Edward

Bartender
The Stephen King story 'Running Man' was based on was kind of cool, in the story it was just a marathon where the winner lived and everyone else was shot when they collapsed from exhaustion. Nice and simple.

No, you're confusing it with one of the other novellas King wrote under the "Richard Bachman" name - that was The Long Walk ("Go Go Garrity! Maine's Own!") which I would love to see turned into a film - a sort of very dystopian Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. The Running Man was published under that title and was a similarish story, except that the protagonist volunteers for the gameshow because he's desperate for money to save his family, there isn't, as I recall, a love interest, and it has a much darker end. Much as I enjoy the original, I'd very much like to see a new version of this, done true to the book.

Seriously I cannot understand the mentality of some people. Spend 2 grand on a mediocre quality jacket only because a trendy magazine says so. While for the same money you can get a much better quality jacket of similar design (rmc) or 2 great jackets of the same brand (618).

Schotts have shot up in price here in the UK - the last lot I found on sale were closing in on Aero money, but I guess that's to bed expected with the weak pound.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

You mixed up two of his short stories. The one you mentioned was (from memory) "The long walk".

He also wrote the original "The running man", which was a game show but took place outside in the real world, no over the top WWE style hunters.

Both great stories though. I think they were both included in the Bachman Books collection and were originally released by him under that name.

Damn, I should have kept reading...I see Edward beat me to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Bamaboots, yeah, I got my design all finalized and ready, it's upwards of USD 4K, so I was really nervous about measuring myself in case a made a dumb mistake.
Then in July, my brother-in-law suddenly got transferred to Texas for the next 5 years and took his wife and kids with him, so my wife and I have decided to go on holiday to Texas next spring, and that's when I'm going to head over to Rocketbusters in person, and get them to measure me up. I feel way much more comfortable about doing it that way. Very convenient turn of events. I'll start a thread when the whole thing gets rolling and document the whole process. I'm very excited about it!
If you're in El Paso, another place to look is JR Hill Boots; I own one pair of JB Hill boots that was made-to-measure. However, I must say that my favorite are two pairs of ML Leddy boots that are made in San Angelo Texas and sold there, and also sold at their flagship store in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. Problem with Texas is the enormity of the state. If one leaves Dallas in a car to Los Angeles, the halfway point is El Paso (700 miles).

Last edited:
If you're in El Paso, another place to look is JR Hill Boots; I own one pair of JB Hill boots that was made-to-measure. However, I must say that my favorite are two pairs of ML Leddy boots that are made in San San Angelo Texas and sold there, and also sold at their flagship store in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. Problem with Texas is the enormity of the state. If one leaves Dallas in a car to Los Angeles, the halfway point is El Paso (700 miles).
Went there. Awesome boots, but at the time, I had a closet with too many fo those and I was starting to do the "work wear" style boots. One day I need to get a pair...if I could only just wear something long enough to wear it out before I die. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran