Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween costumes!

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
I'm the prudish girl around here at halloween. Usually, i go as something obscure. I was office supplies last year.

Inky, beautiful wedding photo. Just beautiful.

how does one "go as office supplies" exactly?

i did see a cute "cereal killer" once. imagine a tacky suit coat with those small cereal boxes all sort of stabbed into it with fake knives and fake blood.

and thank you, i love that wedding photo. we call it the "money shot" because it made the whole wedding worth every red cent.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Halloween is the the only holiday we celebrate - it's our wedding anniversary and my hands down favorite holiday EVER.

Here's us from 2007 ago giving out candy (the red-riding hood costume had been mine a few years before this but it's too big now (yay!) so it's his, lol.

1818070450_6123c2a1f3.jpg

1818069346_50ec9b352d.jpg

and Halloween of 2004:

118209674_7bf4c99a4b.jpg

and our BEST Halloween together 2003:

118209717_ab4f4e04a4.jpg

Inky, you and your husband just look like you have so much fun together! Great pics--I especially enjoyed the wedding one!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
*martini*time* said:
I'm the prudish girl around here at halloween. Usually, i go as something obscure. I was office supplies last year.

Inky, beautiful wedding photo. Just beautiful.

I think office supplies is an inspired idea! I have a few fancy witches hats, and I'll pick from one of those, but Halloween is my baby daughter's birthday...I have kids costumes and birthday cake to arrange, so I don't do much for myself. I do enjoy helping my children with their costumes and taking them trick-or-treating.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I've been building a witch costume for the past 4 years, but this year I'm going to change it and I'm going as a 30's Hollywood Movie Star. This is from last year
2994501692_79764438ef.jpg
2993659013_5280288ae7.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Halloween night is crazy where I live. The downtown is blocked off and every cop is on duty because people come from all over to party and things get out of hand. Downtown businesses hand out candy to the little ones in the early afternoon and then have to close their doors early because of the street closures. Unfortunately, the crowds also draw gangbangers, who can move about more easily with everyone in costume and large groups of people don't draw any attention. It's also the same as *martini*time* described - lots of lingerie and skin on girls.

I do decorate my dog. He has sequined devil horns and is quite handsome, if I do say so myself!
:)

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday. I love dressing up and decorating the house. My neighborhood stinks for trick or treaters. Last year I didn't dress up for the first time ever because I was pregnant. I can't wait till this year because it will be my daughter's 1st Halloween. She'll be just about 10 months. Any ideas for a retro outfit for her? Here's a pictures of me a few years ago at our Halloween party. My Mother-In-Law helped me make this costume.
jennifera.jpg

Shirin

A-List Customer
I hatte gangs. who do they think they are, something special? anyway, I guess thats sort of expected in a lot of California, the skin show I mean. I remember when I was growing up how much fun we used to have collecting all the candy. Then came the scare about somebody putting razor blades inside apples and giving them to the kids. So parents also had to check fruit, just to make sure it wasn't tampered with. Thats the only thing that sucks on Halloween is when some people ruin it for everybody else. But I enjoy Halloween, its my favorite holiday along with Christmas.

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Halloween is my all time favorite holiday! I have a few vintage Halloween costumes, although they also may have actually been made for "fancy dress" balls instead, but they're costumes nonetheless.

20sCostumes.jpg

From the August 1925 Pictorial Review; you could buy patterns for these costumes from Pictorial Review

PirateGirl1.jpg

A vintage "Pirate Girl" costume I wore last Halloween to Cicada's Halloween Ball. I think it's from the 1930s due to its materials; heavy, cotton felt; and the fact that it closes with hooks and eyes.

PirateGirl2.jpg

Another view of the "Pirate Girl" costume.

Poiret1.jpg

This is from the 1920s. It seems to be inspired by Paul Poiret's creations, as, it's a beaded tunic with a hoop at the bottom, rounded out by harem trousers that have beaded diamond panels. I really need to get a better photo of this one, but I'm so photo-phobic!

I also have a 1940s "Harem Girl" costume, and this odd late 1930s gown made out of pink spiderweb lace, both of which I'll try to get photos up of.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Inky said:
Halloween is the the only holiday we celebrate - it's our wedding anniversary and my hands down favorite holiday EVER.

Here's us from 2007 ago giving out candy (the red-riding hood costume had been mine a few years before this but it's too big now (yay!) so it's his, lol.

1818070450_6123c2a1f3.jpg

Ha ha, Inky, your husband has great legs!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'd like to be a Nurse this year - I can never find the right sort of white dress though... I'm sure I had another costume idea but I can't remember it for the life of me. xx

MarieAnne

Practically Family
This thread is so much fun. This was my costume last halloween. I was the only one at work that dressed up:( I just got all the parts at thrift stores. I covered the cod piece with an old white T-shirt, it was black. I couldn't find the right boots so I just pulled black socks over my pants.
n832350067_4628317_6861.jpg

Inky, your wedding picture is gorgeous!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have a love-hate affair with Halloween.

I like the idea of the holiday, it seems fun and so forth.....but I haven't dressed up or even wanted to in years really. Last year i went to the Cicada Halloween event dressed as a peacock and that's probably the most effort I have put into a costume in 15 years or more.

IMG_0909.jpg

There is just something about having your birthday never -really- be your special day that just makes it all slightly less great.

I grew up working in a friends haunted house, so I never got to be what -I- wanted to be each yea....and I never got to have -my birthday- party or festivities on my birthday, as everyone is always too busy doing Halloween stuff.

And if I see another pumpkin shaped birthday cake covered in candy corn...

Shirin

A-List Customer
Golly miss Neecerie, I'm sorry you've had such crummy birthdays. I imagine it must be difficult to have your birthday overlooked because of the holiday. I know two other ladies who have birthdays on Halloween as well and they've always loved it, but I've never heard from the other side of the fence. If my birthday was on Halloween, I think I might like it. Doesn't it make it more memorable for people because it falls on a holiday and not a random day of the month?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I was born on memorial day, but that's not nearly as important as Halloween. I'm sorry, a few of my friends were born near Christmas... everyone's spent from that holiday, so they don't get very good birthday parties/presents.

I had a hand-made costume when I was six... It was a poodle skirt. Guess I've always been in love with the fifties! :p

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Shirin said:
I hatte gangs. who do they think they are, something special? anyway, I guess thats sort of expected in a lot of California, the skin show I mean. I remember when I was growing up how much fun we used to have collecting all the candy. Then came the scare about somebody putting razor blades inside apples and giving them to the kids. So parents also had to check fruit, just to make sure it wasn't tampered with. Thats the only thing that sucks on Halloween is when some people ruin it for everybody else. But I enjoy Halloween, its my favorite holiday along with Christmas.

Mmmmm. Candy! My favorites were the little rolls of Smarties and the bite-sized Nestle's Crunch Bars. :)

laurakitty

Familiar Face
DecoDahlia said:
Halloween is my all time favorite holiday! I have a few vintage Halloween costumes, although they also may have actually been made for "fancy dress" balls instead, but they're costumes nonetheless.

20sCostumes.jpg

From the August 1925 Pictorial Review; you could buy patterns for these costumes from Pictorial Review

PirateGirl1.jpg

A vintage "Pirate Girl" costume I wore last Halloween to Cicada's Halloween Ball. I think it's from the 1930s due to its materials; heavy, cotton felt; and the fact that it closes with hooks and eyes.

PirateGirl2.jpg

Another view of the "Pirate Girl" costume.

Poiret1.jpg

This is from the 1920s. It seems to be inspired by Paul Poiret's creations, as, it's a beaded tunic with a hoop at the bottom, rounded out by harem trousers that have beaded diamond panels. I really need to get a better photo of this one, but I'm so photo-phobic!

I also have a 1940s "Harem Girl" costume, and this odd late 1930s gown made out of pink spiderweb lace, both of which I'll try to get photos up of.

Oooo, these are amazing!

Last year for Halloween I was a Sunflower- I found a 1920's little girl's Sunflower costume that fit perfectly (and was very short!). I hate wearing any of the normal Halloween costumes, so it was perfect for me. I'll see if I have any photos somewhere... The year before my boyfriend was a gunslinger and I was an 1880's Southern Belle- we just through our costumes together in 5 minutes, but luckily for us we both collect all eras of vintage clothes and accessories so I think we looked amazing.
n819532_40165772_7314.jpg

I love Halloween, but I have absolutely no idea what to be this year! It's still early so I'm sure I'll just figure something out the week of.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Inky said:
how does one "go as office supplies" exactly?

i did see a cute "cereal killer" once. imagine a tacky suit coat with those small cereal boxes all sort of stabbed into it with fake knives and fake blood.

and thank you, i love that wedding photo. we call it the "money shot" because it made the whole wedding worth every red cent.

I attached random office supplies to myself and put 3 big black circles on my shirt and that was the "3 hole punch" office supply. Don't you watch "The Office"? Jim went as a 3 hole punch one time and i ripped off his idea! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran