Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

I remember when we first travelled to the US back in the 80's. American beer was a joke then, but things have improved immensely.
With all the microbrews currently being aged in various casks it could get interesting soon. I'm not a fan of sours but I haven't found anything I just really don't like. But I have a feeling not all the breweries will be able to last with all the competition.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
With all the microbrews currently being aged in various casks it could get interesting soon. I'm not a fan of sours but I haven't found anything I just really don't like. But I have a feeling not all the breweries will be able to last with all the competition.

HJ, I was at the Brewers Association convention earlier this year and we were told there are 50 new craft breweries opening every week. It clearly isn't sustainable.

A trend is for the more successful craft brewers to sell out to the big guys. Revolver Brewing near us has just sold to a division of Miller-Coors.

I'll never buy their product again, a bit of a shame because I like it.

Hey, we always had Stroh's! :D

I don't think I've tried it. Have I missed a good experience?

Cheers!
David - 21 Century Man

Yesterday was rainy then cloudy but the clouds finally broke up about sunset, making it possible to enjoy the harvest moon last night. A full moon always brings introspective thoughts & good conversation!

avr7di.jpg

The history of the craft brewing industry/movement in the US is really interesting. At the archives of Oregon State University, we have developed an actual "Beer" archive. The Northwest had a major role in the development of this industry, and it has been preserved for future generations in our Oregon Hops and Brewing Archive! Who says being an archivist is boring!

We do have the best craft beers in the nation after all. And much of the beer you drink today has a tie to Oregon State University, with the our development of the Cascade Hop.

I don't think I've tried it. Have I missed a good experience?

Cheers!
David - 21 Century Man

Like many of the historical American beers, it used to be better (like Blatz, Schlitz, etc.) over time, as concessions were made, it got worse. It, like Rolling Rock, doesn't taste as good as it used to. "Detroit River Water" was what I grew up on, though, and I have a soft spot for it in my heart. I still pick a 6-pack up occasionally though, for old time's sake.

The history of the craft brewing industry/movement in the US is really interesting. At the archives of Oregon State University, we have developed an actual "Beer" archive. The Northwest had a major role in the development of this industry, and it has been preserved for future generations in our Oregon Hops and Brewing Archive! Who says being an archivist is boring!

We do have the best craft beers in the nation after all. And much of the beer you drink today has a tie to Oregon State University, with the our development of the Cascade Hop.

In the late 1800s, there were over 4,000 breweries in the US; however, this was prior to the onset of truly national brands and commonality of tastes. Subsequent consolidation and then Prohibition took a toll on this number. The late 70s was the nadir, with fewer than 100 breweries in the US. 2015 saw us finally up to and beyond the number of breweries we had in the late 1800s.

Of course, not all will sustain, but I don't think we'll ever be back to 100.

DJH

I'll Lock Up

Cool - a lot of our local brews mention on the labeling that they use the Oregon Cascade Hops.

I didn't know it was developed at Oregon State.

When I was growing up in the UK, there were hop fields all around some of our family's homes. We used to enjoy watching the guys on tall stilts working them.

Cheers!
David - 21 Century Man

Cool - a lot of our local brews mention on the labeling that they use the Oregon Cascade Hops.

I didn't know it was developed at Oregon State.

When I was growing up in the UK, there were hop fields all around some of our family's homes. We used to enjoy watching the guys on tall stilts working them.

Cheers!
David - 21 Century Man
We have pictures in the archives of many hop harvesting methods, this one is new to me. Some of my favorite images are of German POWs picking hops, much like in their home country, here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon during WWII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW