Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have many pictures and more info about this subject to post.

Hang tight, I'm trying to transfer pictures from my mobile device for the first time and having minor problems.

Vintage Betty

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Today I reached for a green one I've had for about six years. It is marked TONAK made in Czech Republic. Obviously fur, it fits and feels great. Has sort of an "Octoberfest" look to it. (It took me a minute to figure out the dark spot in the pinch. I got caught in the rain, before I could get inside. The spot is gone, now.)

P1040219.jpg

Razzman

One Too Many
J.T. thats a nice looking lid. I've been to the local BCF several times in the past year with no luck. It seems their current stock is 100% wool nowadays.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, if anyone is in the Des Moines metro area, our BCF has a pretty nice selection of fur felts. All have cloth sweats and I'd say the felt is 100% rabbit, but for a $16 starter hat, not bad.

The felt, in my opinion and from my experience with fur felt hats I've purchased from BCF, is a little stiff and not as "luxurious" as, say, a newer Stetson. However, with some steaming it will retain its shape and I can honestly say it retains its color better than my Stetsons.

I would put the Des Moines fur felts at BCF in the workhorse category for their price and their ruggedness (both to the touch, and in practice).

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Undertow, Sounds like they may have gotten a new shipment. Last seasons furs tended to have been marked down. Also, most of their furs to date have had no stiffener. I like it that way, but some folks wanted a little more "body." Let's hope we see a whole new crop of Tonaks this year. It would certainly be a shame to lose a good source.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Well, if anyone is in the Des Moines metro area, our BCF has a pretty nice selection of fur felts. All have cloth sweats and I'd say the felt is 100% rabbit, but for a $16 starter hat, not bad.

The felt, in my opinion and from my experience with fur felt hats I've purchased from BCF, is a little stiff and not as "luxurious" as, say, a newer Stetson. However, with some steaming it will retain its shape and I can honestly say it retains its color better than my Stetsons.

I would put the Des Moines fur felts at BCF in the workhorse category for their price and their ruggedness (both to the touch, and in practice).

Drat, I was just down in Des Moines this weekend and forgot to go to BCF. I'll have to go during Thanksgiving or Christmas break.
Thanks for the info, Undertow, I was wondering if our BCF had any hats.

ManWithNoName

New in Town
I went there yesterday looking to buy my first fedora. I didn't see any of the Czech hats, but they had a Lite Felt in my size, which was almost exactly what I wanted except it was black. I'm usually a fairly casual dresser, and I don't think that would go with much of what I wear. I'd prefer something in gray or maybe a light brown. I also checked out the mall but that was pretty fruitless also. Well, I suppose I'll check back later to see if they have something new that I like. How often do they usually get new stuff in?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
ManWithNoName said:
I went there yesterday looking to buy my first fedora. I didn't see any of the Czech hats, but they had a Lite Felt in my size, which was almost exactly what I wanted except it was black. I'm usually a fairly casual dresser, and I don't think that would go with much of what I wear. I'd prefer something in gray or maybe a light brown. I also checked out the mall but that was pretty fruitless also. Well, I suppose I'll check back later to see if they have something new that I like. How often do they usually get new stuff in?
Howdy and welcome! As I see it, BCF only rotates stock seasonally, so only four times a year. But, you never know. And I don't know any other hat shops in the WNY area, another tragedy. But, hey, at least you have Nick Tahou to console you!

%7Ehaut-cuisine_in-rochester-n-y_is-the-garbage_plate.jpg

Again, welcome to the Lounge!

ManWithNoName

New in Town
Oh, you guys are missing out! Garbage plates are amazing!

Well, I'll keep looking. I may break down and pick up that black one anyways. It's gonna be cool out pretty soon, and it probably would go nice with my black wool jacket. And now I know that I'm an XL, so I might end up ordering one too.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I have one of those black "Lite Felt" (wool) hats. It is decently made, and actually looks great on the head. It is definitely a good starting point, to get into wearing hats. The sizing even allows for a bit of shrinking, which wool hats didn't used to do. The only drawback is that it grabs white lint like you wouldn't believe. I solved this by using an old tooth brush. (Brush counter clockwise. It takes about 90 seconds.)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
That looks like something I would have had in the field in the army!:eek:
JT Is gyspy lass ok? haven't seen her in a while!:D :rolleyes:

1. Are you talking about the "Garbage Plate" or the black "Lite Felt" hat?
2. She's alive and well, and smiling at me every day; and tolerated by my wife, I might add!

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hey folks,

There are three Burlington Coat Factory warehouse outlets in the Seattle area. One is on Highway 99 in Edmonds, one at the Supermall in Auburn, and one at the Lakewood Towne Center south of Tacoma.

Maybe someone's already listed them in this thread, but if I go ahead and read through all 18 pages and 256 replies, dinner will burn!

If there's a chance they've got fur felt Tonaks/Hückels as cheap as y'all have been saying, then I'll be nosing around Edmonds this weekend.

But no wool felts, please. I've got enough wool felt hats to last till retirement.

Cheers,
Mark

tandmark

One of the Regulars
H'lo again,

:eek:fftopic: The Garbage Plate looks like poutine, a Quebeçois fast-food specialty.

Anthony Bourdain, did a Montréal show for the Food Channel some time back. Of course he had to chow down on some poutine between foie gras dinners. He liked it. [huh]

How do I get back on topic from here? Umm, er, if you let all the grease in a Garbage Plate congeal, you could put a 22 ligne grosgrain ribbon around it and tell people it's a porkpie.

Cheers,
Mark

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

For what it's worth, the Edmonds WA location of the Burlington Coat Factory does have a few Hückel hats, marked as such, that say they're made of Real Fur Felt. Probably rabbit.

They've also got some others that say they were made in Europe. And yet others that are floppy thick wool felt, variously made in the US and China. A few Chinese-made straw golf hats & the like.

These were all priced at $20 and under. Mostly *way* under.

It must be said that some of the hats had gotten pretty shopworn. Even so, I managed to find two that followed me home.

The only real downside to the excursion was getting rear-ended when I stopped at a red light on the way back into town. :eusa_doh:

Cheers (despite it all),
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters