Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

Phil

A-List Customer
This is where I get a majority of my hats from. They're inexpensive and often go overlooked by the average consumer of today. I think I'm also a little bit rougher on my hats and I feel less bad about it since it was rather cheap from Burlington Coat Factory. This may have been mentioned somewhere in the thread, but, do watch out for the hats made in Malysia and the like areas. Apparently they use dog fur in their hats. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this information (I found it on a Google search), but it's something to consider.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Personally, I don't mind what animal the fur comes from. I'm an equal opportunity hat-wearer. :D

Starius

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
J.T.,

It can be done this way:

To input characters that are not on your keyboard
1. Press and hold the ALT key, and then press the keys on the numeric keypad that represent the decimal code value of the character you want to input.
2. After you finish typing, release the ALT key.
Windows generates the character you specified.

The decimal code for the ?º is 129. Do a search for "Extended ASCII Codes" and you'll find a list of other characters you can input this way, such as the ¬£.

You can also use the regional settings in Windows to change your keyboard to US-International, which should enable you to do the same thing by hitting the right Alt key plus the key designated for the character, such as the y for the ?º.

Cheers,
Tom

In case anyone is using OS X instead of Windows, it's far easier to make umlauts there.

You just press Option-u + whatever letter you want to have a umlaut.

For example, if I wanted to type "H?ºckel" I would type Option + u + u to get the .

If I wanted to type "Blue ?ñyster Cult," I would type Option + u + O to get the .​

I just thought I would mention that in fairness of different operating systems.

In Linux, its much the same method as windows, though with a different numbering scheme. I believe a ?º under the Xwindow environment in Linux is ALT + 252. Unicode can be fun!

I now return this thread back to the subject of hats.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
J.T. Marcus said:
tandmark, That Huckel is a peach! (But how did you get the two dots over the u?)

Howdy,

Thank you kindly, J.T.! It's a peach of a peach-colored H?ºckel.

Actually, while I used to keep a printed list of Alt-XXX codes for various special characters taped to the top of the monitor, I usually cheat nowadays by going into some program that handles the job easily, and then cutting & pasting the results.

This time, it was Thunderbird, the program that manages my email. Often, it'll be Microsoft Publisher or the Character Map application found under System Tools in the start menu of Windows. Depends on whether Thunderbird or Publisher happen to be running.

Getting back in the general direction of the thread topic . . . . That peachy H?ºckel is a pleasant enough low-end hat. The post office brought another one today, a wide-brimmed black fedora of the type usually favored by Haredi Jews. Or Boy George, come to think of it. This one is in a Whole Nother League. I'll discuss it & post some pictures on a different thread.

Cheers,
Mark

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Phil said:
This may have been mentioned somewhere in the thread, but, do watch out for the hats made in Malysia and the like areas. Apparently they use dog fur in their hats. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this information (I found it on a Google search), but it's something to consider.

That could be a good thing. Unlike rabbits or beaver, dogs can and do stand still for a "HAIRCUT". I can see the ads now, "Dog hair, the other wool!" :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The revival of this thread got me to wondering how many of my hats came from BCF. Here they are, all in one place.

P1040280.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
The revival of this thread got me to wondering how many of my hats came from BCF. Here they are, all in one place.

P1040280.jpg

lol lol lol

You must have a big collection if that's your BCF portion of the collection! Does your "trouble and strife"* give out??? ;)

*English Cockney rhyming slang for "wife".... lol

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
lol lol lol
You must have a big collection if that's your BCF portion of the collection! Does your "trouble and strife"* give out??? ;)
*English Cockney rhyming slang for "wife".... lol

So far (several years,now) she has been happy with this hobby. She can (and sometimes does) wear any hat that fits me. And, of course, Texas is a community property state! :D

tandmark

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
So far (several years,now) she has been happy with this hobby. She can (and sometimes does) wear any hat that fits me. And, of course, Texas is a community property state! :D

Hey y'all,

It'd be horrible if such a lovely couple ever had to divvy up their hats. Don't even joke about it! :)

You've been living at the Burlington Coat Factory, haven't you? Your BCF collection is almost as large as the total number of hats on offer at the one north of here a week or two ago.

Would you care to provide a key to the collection? Just knowing which ones were H?ºckels and which ones anonymous Chinese-made hats, etc., would interest me some. Or maybe which ones are wool felt and which fur felt.

Cheers,
Mark

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
tandmark said:
Would you care to provide a key to the collection? Just knowing which ones were H?ºckels and which ones anonymous Chinese-made hats, etc., would interest me some. Or maybe which ones are wool felt and which fur felt. Cheers, Mark

Two Huckles, one wool "Lite Felt," the rest are Czech Republic fur felt. Sorry, no Chinese. I did, however, see one the other day. It sure was smooth and soft!
:D

tandmark

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
Two Huckles, one wool "Lite Felt," the rest are Czech Republic fur felt. Sorry, no Chinese. I did, however, see one the other day. It sure was smooth and soft!
:D

Top o' th' mornin', folks,

It's worth a bet (if I were a betting man) that the Czech-made fur felts are Tonaks. And Tonak is the parent company for H?ºckel.

Tonak has a Website that shows their product lines for the past few years. The peach fedora that BCF sold me recently looked like one from Tonak's 2002 line, if I'm recalling correctly. So most likely BCF is buying up Tonak's unsold stock after a few years at a deep discount.

Good news for us. :)

Cheers,
Mark

Razzman

One Too Many
I've been to the local BCF several times in the past few weeks only to find one black wool fedora in a size 7 5/8. I inquired of the store manager regarding winter hats, and was advised it was a hit or miss situation. They receive new stock every two weeks and they never know what they will receive. The local BCF still it's summer straws out.[huh]

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
They have definitely been late getting winter hats out this year. However, you never know. Several stores have gotten some decent hats. Yours could be next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner