Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

ManWithNoName

New in Town
Tandmark, I hope you + your car are ok! IIRC, it's always the other guy's fault if someone rear ends you, so I imagine you will be able to get any damage paid for.

I ended up getting the black fedora I mentioned earlier. It's a "Litefelt", their "Safari" style. It's the fifth hat down on this page: http://www.shushans.com/litefelt2.html

It cost me 20 bucks. Not fur, as you guys seem to prefer, but it was pretty much what I was looking for and the price was right. The claims of durability were attractive too (supposedly water resistant and crushable).

Now I just have to work up the nerve to wear it in public. Fortunately, I go to a college where being a little unusual is pretty much the norm. I doubt wearing a nice, classic hat would even turn a single head.

RBH

Bartender
ManWithNoName said:
....I ended up getting the black fedora I mentioned earlier. It's a "Litefelt", their "Safari" style. It's the fifth hat down on this page: http://www.shushans.com/litefelt2.html

It cost me 20 bucks. Not fur, as you guys seem to prefer, but it was pretty much what I was looking for and the price was right. The claims of durability were attractive too (supposedly water resistant and crushable).

Now I just have to work up the nerve to wear it in public. Fortunately, I go to a college where being a little unusual is pretty much the norm. I doubt wearing a nice, classic hat would even turn a single head.

MWNN, there is nothing wrong with a wool felt. Its not fur felt by any means but it has its place. I have had several litefelts and they have given good service. I have one of the Indy crushables now, not that it looks like a Indy hat but I liked the ribbon. I needed an 'inexpensive' hat to wear at work that I would not mind getting dirty. Hopefully after you find yourself wearing your litefelt you will move on to a nice vintage or a new fur felt from one of our vendors or even a custom from one of our great hatters that make the lounge their home.
As far as wearing it just put it on, you are sure to get the 'Indy', 'hey cowboy' or 'look its a gangster' comment. But more than likely what you will get is, 'hey I like your hat, I wish I could wear one'.
Good luck in your hat wearing and by the way it is a nice looking lid.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I took my kids to a local BCF (Yonkers, NY) on Saturday and got my son a big pile of stuff for his birthday. Of course, my ulterior motive was to check out the hats!

There had only a few of the fur-felt hats - most of what was on display were wool felts. I must admit, for a paltry $20, the fur felts were not bad, if not exactly stunning, either. But alas, the only one in my size was a peach-beige color that I simply can't wear (my daughter, as fashion consultant, agreed).

Still, it's my first sighting of these fur felts. I'll have to make a point of checking out other BCF stores in my area, and revisiting this one at some point - maybe there's a gray one with my name on it out there somewhere...

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I took my kids to a local BCF (Yonkers, NY) on Saturday.

There had only a few of the fur-felt hats - most of what was on display were wool felts. I must admit, for a paltry $20, the fur felts were not bad, if not exactly stunning, either. But alas, the only one in my size was a peach-beige color that I simply can't wear (my daughter, as fashion consultant, agreed).

Hi,

As it happens, I'm wearing that very model of hat right this second. It's not the best hat in the world, but not the worst either. A Hückel? Yes.

ManWithNoName said:
Tandmark, I hope you + your car are ok! IIRC, it's always the other guy's fault if someone rear ends you, so I imagine you will be able to get any damage paid for.

That's what the insurance adjuster agrees should happen. The car's street-legal, if just barely, so I'm OK with letting the insurance bureaucracies work things out in their own sweet time. For now.

ManWithNoName (speaking of a wool felt hat he just bought at Burlington's) said:

Wool felt hats can be fine hats. If I thought they were crummy, I wouldn't have bought and worn half a dozen of them over the course of this decade alone.

Fur felt hats are a bit more versatile in various ways. To judge from the ones I've owned, they tend to hold up better, they tend to handle rain better, they tend to be easier to re-shape and re-size, they tend to look a little "sharper" in a way I'd hesitate to have to define. You're also more likely to have good makers offer fur felt hats rather than wool felt ones. So the workmanship and styling tends to be better.

But wool felt hats have definitely got their place. Some of them have their place in one of my closets. :)

Cheers,
Mark

tandmark

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
tandmark said:
As it happens, I'm wearing that very model of hat right this second. It's not the best hat in the world, but not the worst either. A Hückel? Yes.
How about a picture of you wearing your Huckel?

H'lo all,

Can't do it for a day or so at least, as I've got to organize some body work on the car, arrange a rental for the duration, etc., etc. With luck, maybe on Saturday? Maybe in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread -- what do you think?

Cheers,
Mark

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My First....

Well, I guess I can join the gang. I picked up my 1st BCF last week, nothing out of the ordinary....just a nice looking Black Fed., w/a nice black ribbon. Not a bad lid for $15. [huh]

BlkWool2.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Bolthead, Agood looking hat, at a price that's pretty close to free. That's a combination that's hard to beat. (I predict you will go back to that store...)
:) :eusa_clap

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hey folks,

For what it's worth, here's a snap of me in a peach-colored H?ºckel fur felt hat bought last weekend at the Burlington Coat Factory in Edmonds Washington. Taken on Friday afternoon when I was looking tired and shaggy. But the hat looks about like it should, and that's what counts. :)

PeachHuckel-1.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
tandmark, That Huckel is a peach! (But how did you get the two dots over the u?) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T.,

It can be done this way:

To input characters that are not on your keyboard
1. Press and hold the ALT key, and then press the keys on the numeric keypad that represent the decimal code value of the character you want to input.
2. After you finish typing, release the ALT key.
Windows generates the character you specified.

The decimal code for the ?º is 129. Do a search for "Extended ASCII Codes" and you'll find a list of other characters you can input this way, such as the ¬£.

You can also use the regional settings in Windows to change your keyboard to US-International, which should enable you to do the same thing by hitting the right Alt key plus the key designated for the character, such as the y for the ?º.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner