Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have I been wrong all these years??

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today at work I asked our store tailor to do an alteration on a vintage suit jacket.When he was done he said "That jacket is about 25 years old, or maybe from the 70's." Now this particular jacket is a double breasted gabardine, it's got high armholes, and the pants that came with it are highwaisted--what I'm saying is, to me (and to everyone of YOU who are reading this), this suit is from the "golden era". I said "No, no, this is a real gangster suit." To which he responded "That was made in the 70's or 80's to LOOK like a gangter suit." I quickly looked in the inner pocket for a date but there was none, and the label on the inside also is very non-desrcript. I said "Look, if there's one thing I know, it's vintage clothes." I then pointed to the pants I was wearing (highwaisted gab, topstiching down the sides), and said "These are from the 40's--they don't and didn't make these at any other time." He looked at me like I was the biggest dummy ever and said "I've been in this business since before you were born. Don't you think I know more than you about this sort of thing? Those pants are NOT from the 40's. Thread from back then was cotton, not nylon and cotton like it is now. Those clothes couldn't last that long.They would just fall apart" I felt like he was telling me that there was no Santa Claus. Because I like him,and didn't want this to escalate into an argument, I didn't bring up all the stuff I own that IS dated, and have vintage labels that I KNOW are authentic. But now he's making me wonder.......
flat-top

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
He sounds like one of those guys who thinks he's the only one who knows anything because of he's a tradesman. People like this think no one else knows anything about their field of expertise. Sometimes the "novice" knows more than the "expert"- due to actually being interested in the field and not just working in it- it's just the way it is...
There's no arguing with these types.
You're most probably right and he just doesn't want you to be...

BTank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats