Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You rock! Love the shirts, most are made by the Mrs.?
Of course. A fellow got rather irate with me when he asked about the shirt. I told him that the Mrs had made it. He seemed to be angling for her to make him one. So when I said that the fabric was almost £50, the notions, that's the paper pattern, buttons, needles, thread, lining, stiffener and other ancillary items came to £15, then ten hours labour, at £20 an hour, he more or less accused me of ripping him off. "When did I try selling you a shirt?" I asked, but he just went on and on, and said that he could get one for twenty pounds. It was like a red flag to a bull when I said: "Well off you go then."

When we were visiting Nashville, some years ago now, our English accents were overheard in a bar. The couple introduced themselves and after an hour or so chit-chat we were invited to their place the following evening for a barbecue and to meet their friends. I have to say that this wasn't an odd occurrence, every single visit that we have made to the US we have met someone who just wants to share their hospitality, it's enjoyable, humbling and yet a privilege to be so invited.
We had a most memorable evening, the couple's ancestors had originated from Ireland, they were also planning a trip to the UK, to Sheffield to be exact. They made and sold unique artefacts. On this trip they were ordering a quantity of hip flasks with the Jack Daniels logo on them.

It came as quite a shock to them to know, that if they can trace their linage back to the Emerald Isle, without a single missing generation, and be able to prove it, they would be eligible for Honorary Irish citizenship, and, through that, be automatically honorary Irish citizens which gave them full access to every country in The European Union.
And that would probably true for you Red, as well as anyone else, who has their family tree in tact from the time of entry into the US, as long as it's from The British Islands or Eire.

This is so wonderful, my mother's family is McCollough. Although I have not done any research, I'm probably 1/2 Irish. My dad was all Italian.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tukwila, everybody's input is what makes this forum so enjoyable, that and the fact that should things ever become heated, then for most parts, the protagonists step back a pace until things cool down. The members here, make this forum what it is.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
50s Borsalino
eff201d54d1f5c79515ee3111335c39f.jpg
b0ba3fc2c783fc0d8fab27ada5ed9d9a.jpg

Enjoying the back and forth here @Redfokker and @GHT ! :)
Me too. The main focus of the topics discussed on The Lounge fosters the notion that most (if not all) of the members here have an interest in history to some degree, but it's somehow more meaningful when it's a member's or group of members' personal history being discussed. Or maybe that's just my perspective because my own personal history is a bit of a muddled mystery. Regardless, I'm fascinated by the stories and chains of events that lead from where our ancestors began to where we as individuals are now.

Me too. The main focus of the topics discussed on The Lounge fosters the notion that most (if not all) of the members here have an interest in history to some degree, but it's somehow more meaningful when it's a member's or group of members' personal history being discussed. Or maybe that's just my perspective because my own personal history is a bit of a muddled mystery. Regardless, I'm fascinated by the stories and chains of events that lead from where our ancestors began to where we as individuals are now.
My family tree doesn't fork, so my involvement with historical societies is my way of enjoying this type of thing.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Cool shirt, cooler hat.
It certainly is. We have a number of bamboo clusters around the garden borders, they are excellent for screen cover, but they do take some maintaining. I use a pair of long handled cutters, I think they are called loppers. The cuttings I leave to dry out and then use them as garden stakes to support young plants. This shirt just happens to depict bamboo plants, but when asked what plant it is, I always answer: Wacky Baccy.
aloha 018.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm praying for rain in California
So the grapes can grow and they can make more wine
And I'm sitting in a honky in Chicago
With a broken heart and a woman on my mind
I matched the man behind the bar for the jukebox
And the music takes me back to Tennessee
And they ask, "who's the fool in the corner crying?"
I say, "a little ole wine drinker, me"

So many wine labels, so little time:
aloha 037.JPG

When asked what the initials MG stood for my Missus will say: "He thinks it means, My Girlfriend."
Jessica getting a spruce up after her winter hibernation. I do drive the MG in the winter, weather permitting, but my hip operation and inclement weather has not made winter driving possible this year.
View attachment 114157
Such a pretty girl, Jessica deserves a spa treatment. I love the "My Girlfriend" I can relate. My old 73 MGB never ended up with a name. The beautiful hat and shirt complete the whole package.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Without doubt, this shirt is the one that gets the most comments. People are convinced that I must have bought it whilst in the US. It depicts scenes from the famous Route 66 song, it goes so well with Esther's hat and a light blue blazer. By the way, in case you are new to the Lounge, my wife made the shirt.
Look closely at the enlarged picture and you will see the breast pocket and front panel match. Clever girl, my missus.

shirts 138.JPG
shirts 139.JPG
Esther-hat 001.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran