Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Outfit suggestions needed

roselily

One of the Regulars
I have only a few days to come up with an outfit for a Blanche Dubois type character circa 1947. I think I'm set on shoes, thank goodness, and purse. I still need hat, skirt/blouse/dress???, gloves and white fur boa (though it is set in the summer). I think I can fake the boa, but would love some suggestions on what sort of dress or skirt/blouse combo to look for. It should be appropriate for a bus ride, though if it is a little off that's okay, she's supposed to be crazy. (but not like a cocktail dress). I'm hitting the thrift stores tomorrow. I'm a modern size 14, so I'm not too hopeful about finding any actual vintage...

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
You can also check out google images and type in Blanche Dubious or youtube. Being such a popular movie and play there should be tons of information to go by. Plus you don't have to be super accurate as long as the clothing looks like some thing Blanche might wear you should be fine.

Hat'sThat!

New in Town
Oh I LOVE Blanche!

Are you looking for clothing of Blanche herself or of the era? I don't know if you have seen A Streetcar Named Desire but Blanche has ideas of grandeur and beauty about herself that had long faded from her life. There are several scenes depicting Stanley ripping apart her trunk. It contains fox furs, a rhinestone tiara and pearls. Basically what you would imagine an actress from the 40s to have in her trunk so a great excuse to dress up I think! Accessories often make the outfit and a tiara and pearls should be cheap and easy to find in a charity shop or department store. Every example of Blanche on stage and film portray her in long floaty dresses so this might be an option? The length will keep you covered on a bus ride but still look like her. Maribou feathers strike me as being very Blanche too so maybe get a maribou feather trim from a craft shop and tack it onto a long dress to add layers?

Let us know how you get on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo