Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

This Marathon is really interesting. It has the original basting stitches on the ribbon and a very unique sweatband. I believe Robert posted a hat recently with the same sweatband.

Josh, Great Homburg! I really like the bow and contrating ribbon / binding. Also the Dunn is super. Great liner color!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
A great couple of homburgs there, Josh!

Josh, Great Homburg! I really like the bow and contrating ribbon / binding. Also the Dunn is super. Great liner color!

Thanks, Alan & Steve!! This is my first Marathon and I have to say, its really a testament to the quality of hats that LEE made in the 30's. The Dunn is my second and each time the felt has been very finely finished and after a nice steam bath, the shellac makes the felt extremely mold-able. 20's and 30's British hats are really something special in my opinion.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
This was a birthday gift from the lady in the picture. We were in Katoomba for the weekend, so breakfast at the Hattery Cafe and just a bit of a browse around the hats. Well, before you know it I was wearing an Akubra Homburg.

hmb.jpg

With a willingness to buy me hats for my birthday, it is no wonder I plan on marrying this woman.

The perfect wife....perfect life...well in FL world at least;)

James71

A-List Customer
My first homburg. An akubra in carbon grey. Question. More centre dent required? I've given it a shallow cents dent, dry bash to get a feel for it.

780eedbf.jpg

94d45699.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't find the generic TV thread, so this will go to the next best thing, I think. I happened to catch some of this on television last night, and was frankly transfixed on this hat-- perhaps it has an official title, but it looks to me like a homburg with a telescoped Dallas/Cattleman crease. Pretty sweet!
onealelephant01v61.jpg

coble

A-List Customer
bman, that is a great looking crown. Really different, which i am all for. I think you'd look awesome with lid like this. This should go on your list of must have's

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I agree, but I wonder if it's too square for me. Who cares? "Different" doesn't bother me any either (in case you couldn't already tell). :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nice Dunn Josh, it is old - what makes you think 30's? I gave a similar one to a friend (had a tip liner rather than a full liner), it came with a box that had a sale date on it of 1954.

Thanks Billy. I know that there is no definite dating guide for Dunn & Co's but theres a couple attributes that made me think this one was from the 30's. First off, the sweatband is much wider than other UK hats that I've owned from the 50's/60's. The stitching on the sweatband is reminiscent of the stitching used on American hats in the 20's/30's. It also seems that printing on sweatbands became much less pronounced and lower quality on UK sweatbands, just as it happened in America, after the early to mid 30's. I've handled a few UK hats that I knew were from the 50's and this hat was not only far superior to them, the materials used are drastically different. I was also under the impression that the Specific Liner logo on this hat dated the hat pre-50's, and possibly pre-40's. I know that styling trends did differ in the UK and some hatting practices were used for longer in the UK and vice versa. However the style, materials, and printing, all make me think 30's. But I could be wrong.

billyspew

One Too Many
Thanks Billy. I know that there is no definite dating guide for Dunn & Co's but theres a couple attributes that made me think this one was from the 30's. First off, the sweatband is much wider than other UK hats that I've owned from the 50's/60's. The stitching on the sweatband is reminiscent of the stitching used on American hats in the 20's/30's. It also seems that printing on sweatbands became much less pronounced and lower quality on UK sweatbands, just as it happened in America, after the early to mid 30's. I've handled a few UK hats that I knew were from the 50's and this hat was not only far superior to them, the materials used are drastically different. I was also under the impression that the Specific Liner logo on this hat dated the hat pre-50's, and possibly pre-40's. I know that styling trends did differ in the UK and some hatting practices were used for longer in the UK and vice versa. However the style, materials, and printing, all make me think 30's. But I could be wrong.

Yup agree it probably is 30's see edit above!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Yup agree it probably is 30's see edit above!!

Very cool. Thanks again, Billy! Do you have a picture of the top hats liner? I think it would be very interesting if we could put together some soft of general Dunn & Co liner dating guide. Each early Dunn & Co that I have seems to be very high quality.

coble

A-List Customer
I agree, but I wonder if it's too square for me. Who cares? "Different" doesn't bother me any either (in case you couldn't already tell). :)

his brim is very flat, i bet if it had more rolled sides like a homburg it would help with the box like look, while still keeping the crown the way it is. That is my opinion. I'll draw up a model for you, and send it to you.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's brilliant, man. The brim shape reminds me of something I saw in the fuzzy background of one of Al's trips to Optimo. A very memorable curl for sure. I like your sketch better.

Here it is:
faoptimo39copycopy.jpg

sort of directly off Graham's left shoulder:

thisonel.png

And Josh! Wow! Somehow your new Penny's and Dunn & Co. went right past me. A pair of real winners there!

coble

A-List Customer
WOW, now thats an honor right their bowlerman to have you think of OPTIMO . You might find this funny, but I based the curl off of Dum Dum Dugan's bowler from Captain America, i just extended the length of the brim.
That is a beautiful hat their at Optimo.

Josh love the Dunn hat, and the liner is beautiful looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy